Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Status ended, card still valid ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2017, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

Sorry if this was already brought up, I tried a search but couldn't find anything.

My Avianca *A Gold Amigo card as an expiry date of March 2017. When I log into the site it shows Bronze status which I believe happenned in Jan 17 as I didn't credit enough in 2016.

Have an upcoming flight with TP still in February and was wondering if I can still access the lounge based on the actual expiry date on the card.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 7:47 pm

You can try and see what happens...
Old Feb 18, 2017, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Thanks KLouis,

If I can't get a reply I'll surely do.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Most likely when they pull your BP up in their system, they'll say you can't use the lounge. Still, it never hurts to try. Just be prepared to not get in and if you do, it's a bonus.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 11:48 am
Original Poster

I don't want to be a smart*** and if it's a "no" I would be ok with it.

I don't intend to credit this to Avianca so status on the BP would be silver A3 as I want to credit to them.

The rules on * Alliance says:

STAR ALLIANCE GOLD CUSTOMERS TRAVELLING IN ANY CLASS
As a Star Alliance Gold customer, you have access to any member airline lounge that displays the Star Alliance Gold logo. You will need to present your boarding pass for a Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport. If your boarding pass does not carry the Star Alliance Gold indicator, you will need also to show your valid Star Alliance Gold card. You are entitled to a maximum of one guest.

I don't want to take any unfair advantage of the system, but looking at the rules seems access should be granted as the card is valid ?

Thanks !
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
They're still going to check you status in the system. If it shows up as Star Silver, you won't be allowed in. Your card is irrelevant. The reason it says if Star Gold status doesn't show up on your boarding pass to use your card is because not all Alliance carriers have the status code and/or logo on their boarding passes.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by pvdecastro
....I don't want to take any unfair advantage of the system, but looking at the rules seems access should be granted as the card is valid ?
Thanks !
Well. technically you ARE taking advantage of an error. You received a card that says expires March but your benefits actually expired in January.
Not passing judgement. Just stating the facts.
Having said that, I find that in many lounges if you show some kind of documentation you will be let in. They will pull up your BP, you will explain that you have only silver with A3 but gold with AV and here is the proof.
Most likely than not they will let you in.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
IME in Europe, they will say that it shows as silver in theur system, I need to see a card.

In North America, they more than likely won't allow you in.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 8:27 am
Original Poster

It worked without any issues at the * Alliance GRU lounge last week.

Just went to the lounge, presented A3 silver BP and *A Gold Avianca card, some keyboard pushing by the attendant and a nice welcome. No questions asked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.