Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

*Alliance Gold and the new United Rules

Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Hello--
I was wondering if anyone out there knew how the new United rules impact *Alliance Gold members.

I understand that the new rule is if you choose "basic economy" then you only get a carry-on under the seat and you board last. But do you still board last if you are * Alliance gold? I assume that one still gets a free checked bag with *Alliance gold, but no overhead bin carry-ons?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The fares are not even for sale yet.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:15 am
Original Poster

True. I will be flying to the states in the late spring, when the new rules will be in effect, and wanted the information before I decide if its even worth it to fly *Alliance in the states any more.

Anyone else?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Quinacridone
But do you still board last if you are * Alliance gold? I assume that one still gets a free checked bag with *Alliance gold, but no overhead bin carry-ons?
All your questions are answered at https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...c-economy.aspx.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Quinacridone
True. I will be flying to the states in the late spring, when the new rules will be in effect, and wanted the information before I decide if its even worth it to fly *Alliance in the states any more.
It's not like UA's going to force you to buy one of these fares.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 9:56 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's not like UA's going to force you to buy one of these fares.
Cool, can I use that argument when an UA MP elite complains about not getting *G baggage allowance on the LH group?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Cool, can I use that argument when an UA MP elite complains about not getting *G baggage allowance on the LH group?
I think the issue there is there's no disclosure at purchase that you're being forced into an LH "lite" fare.

Note that UA will give *Gs the normal luggage allowance even on a basic economy fare.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:56 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
I think the issue there is there's no disclosure at purchase that you're being forced into an LH "lite" fare.

Note that UA will give *Gs the normal luggage allowance even on a basic economy fare.
Not only that - but *G boarding priority (Group 2) means that the carry-on restrictions also don't apply.

In other words, lesser mileage earning is the only real difference (and maybe the inability to buy up to E+).
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by televisor
In other words, lesser mileage earning is the only real difference (and maybe the inability to buy up to E+).
And no advance seat selection or ability to change the ticket. I would avoid them.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:46 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
AFAIK on united.com cannot display that. As UA MP elites mostly book at ua.com in the hunt for 016 stock PQDs they are fooled by the non disclosure of ua.com.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
AFAIK on united.com cannot display that. As UA MP elites mostly book at ua.com in the hunt for 016 stock PQDs they are fooled by the non disclosure of ua.com.
Yes, UA and LH need to do a better job on disclosure. As I understand it, part of the problem is that LH doesn't sell these as separate fare classes, but instead as separate types within each class. By contrast, the UA fare will be an entirely separate fare bucket (presumably, N).
Old Jan 10, 2017, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Yes, UA and LH need to do a better job on disclosure. As I understand it, part of the problem is that LH doesn't sell these as separate fare classes, but instead as separate types within each class. By contrast, the UA fare will be an entirely separate fare bucket (presumably, N).
I'm not sure it's fair to blame LH for UA's failure to disclose salient details at time of purchase. However it is entirely fair to blame LH for introducing fares which completely undermine one of the principal perks of *G
Old Jan 10, 2017, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I'm not sure it's fair to blame LH for UA's failure to disclose salient details at time of purchase.
If LH had assigned these fares to specific fare buckets it would be much easier for purchasers to know what they are buying.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
If LH had assigned these fares to specific fare buckets it would be much easier for purchasers to know what they are buying.
Perhaps, but it's perfectly easy on the LH website. The fact remains that it's UA selling them and not disclosing.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This thread perhaps demonstrates just how worthless it is to clearly set forth the terms. UA does not even offer these fares yet. But, it has gone to great lengths to make their limitations known. Had OP checked the website, with a TA, or with his corporate travel (each of which has a slightly differentiated announcement from UA), he would know this.

As to OP's concern which has somehow drifted across the Atlantic to a place far, far away and another carrier:

As a *G, his specific concerns are unwarranted. He will have his standard carry-on allowance and will board as any other *G.

These fares remain fraught with other risks, all set forth clearly on the website. Unless one's sole concern in life is cabin luggage, read it carefully.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.