Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

*A award - LH cancelled segment - who can reticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

*A award - LH cancelled segment - who can reticket?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2016, 7:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You are confusing the term "duty of care" under EC 261/2004 to provide a distressed passenger with food and shelter with LH's contractual obligation as the operating carrier causing a flight interruption to handle rebooking to handle reaccomodation on the day of travel.

The former is largely irrelevant here as OP was an F passenger with lounge access and there was no hotel involved.

The latter simply allocates reaccomodation responsibilities as between the general duty which is on the ticketing carrier, e.g. OZ, and the responsibility on the day of travel, e.g. LH.

While it is a pity that LH did not adequately staff call centers for what it knew to be an overload and it is absurd that in this day and age, a global carrier forces one to call different call centers rather than relying on 20-year old technology to route calls, the fact remains that one is stuck with LH in this situation as well as its refusal to adequately service its customer.

One alternative here is that as OP was flying xIAD, given LH's significant presence at IAD is simply to present oneself at the F counter at LH and politely but firmly insist on reaccomodation. LH, if nothing else, follows the rules and the worst insult one can lob is, "you are not abiding by the rules."
Old Nov 23, 2016, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Don't forget to claim your EC 261/04 comp. from LH for the cancellation.
It's due to the Lufthansa pilot walkout today.

no compensation is due.

Originally Posted by Often1
First, just to clarify the EC 261/2004 situation, OP is due compensation for "duty of care" only. That would be for any extra meals only in this situation. That seems to be unlikely and paltry. If OP had been forced into an overnight, it might be worth claiming. Any delays are "extraordinary" for delay/cancellation purposes. Bad information above as "duty of care" always applies, no matter what the reason for the need.
Indeed. Given the rebook, the passenger is not "stranded" anywhere and therefore not entitled to any meals or accomdation or any other sort of "duty of care".
Old Nov 23, 2016, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SK AAR
it can be argued whether such duty only applies for the leg operated by LH but cancelled (i.a. FRA-LHR) rather than the entire journey. However, the reality is that LH and other carriers will decline to rebook awards tickets in case of IRROPS and will refer pax to contact the issuer of the ticket for rebooking.
Yes I think these facts were (at the very least) gray area from a practical perspective because misconnect wasn't going to happen until OP flew to FRA. Asking LH to reissue OZ ticket for flight on UA not exactly a recipe for success. Better to deal with ticket issuer on those facts.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 9:37 am
Original Poster

They gave me 5k OZ miles as a courtesy. Good enough for me

We sincerely regret that you were not able to fly to London as planned on November 23, 2016 due to the strike of the Pilot Association, we apologize for this occurrence and the inconveniences caused.

Unfortunately, we were not able to prevent the strike that caused great frustration to our passengers and high costs for Lufthansa. Employees have the right to strike. In spite of intensive efforts, no reasonable compromise was found this time to avoid the industrial action

In advance and during the strike we tried to keep the consequences for our passengers as minimal as possible. Unfortunately, for some flights the decision to cancel could only be taken at very short notice, which was the case with your flight. We used all available channels to inform our passengers as early on as possible and passed on information as soon as we got it.

As much as we regret the consequences of the strike for our passengers, Lufthansa is not liable for them. Therefore, we ask for your understanding that we cannot comply with your request for compensation.

As a token of our appreciation for choosing Lufthansa, we have credited your Asiana mileage account with 5000 miles.

We hope that you continue to enjoy flying with Lufthansa in spite of these circumstances. We would be glad to welcome you on board again in the near future.
Old May 26, 2017, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Second, in this situation, although illogical, the carrier responsible for rebooking was none of the above. It was LH. On the "day of" the carrier causing the delay, e.g. LH, is responsible for rerouting, otherwise the ticketing carrier, e.g. OZ. UA has nothing to do with this and had push come to shove would not have been able to reissue.
Just wanted to follow-up and say thanks for this nugget of knowledge... was on an SQ award flight, UA operated DCA-EWR-CDG ticket today. DCA-EWR was delayed which would have caused a misconnect. I called UA asking to be re-accommodated on the direct IAD-CDG flight (which hadn't been available when I ticketed the flight through Newark). Phone agent kept insisting it was an SQ ticket and they had to reticket it. But there was no saver inventory available on the IAD-CDG flight so I knew it had to be done through United. I stuck by guns and said it's their delay and their problem... how do you propose to get me to Paris today if not on the IAD-CDG flight? She put me on hold for 5 minutes and said the "technical support" department had been able to change my flight to it.
Old May 29, 2017, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Phone agents have very litle, if any, leeway to touch award tickets of other carriers. In a situation like this it will better to have airport staff deal with the rerouting; they care less about rebooking instructions and will work hard/be flexible to get you on the way and get to the other person waiting in line for rebooking.

I'm glad you stood your grounds and someone in the backoffice solved this for you. Maybe it is easier in the US; if this had been LH phone agents I would have expected you to get clear "Nein" when asking LH to rebook a SQ award even if LH flight was delayed/cancelled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.