Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Weak Star Alliance Network to Latin America

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2016, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Star Alliance should expand its network in South America. Some direct flights needed from than US hubs
Old Aug 27, 2016, 5:06 am

I'm certain several *A airlines will do this as soon as they read your post!
Old Aug 27, 2016, 4:29 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
There are *A flights to South America from North America, Central America, Europe, Africa and Australasia. There is also more than one latin american member airline. Doesn't seem particularly weak to me.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Since TAM left there has been a bigger void. But Avianca seems to be filling that void for now. I think Voegol in Brazil may become the next Star partner.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I'm sure we'd all love nonstop flights from local airports but the demand and profibility isn't there. Lord knows my friends would jump on SWF-EZE but we won't hold our breath.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 5:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I think Voegol in Brazil may become the next Star partner.
Unlikely given that Avianca Brasil is a member and that GOL is partly owned by Delta.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
South America is a big place and connections are better to some countries than others. But, off the top of my head, I'm thinking LH, LX and TK from Europe. Or Avianca with a connection in BOG.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 4:22 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Copa, Avianca and Avianca Brasil in Latin America

United, Air Canada, TAP, Lufthansa, Swiss, Turkish, South African, Air New Zealand from their hubs to various Latin American destinations.

They're not as strong as OW but I don't see the issue.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 9:55 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Copa is pretty good, although the flight and connection times can be inconvenient.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 2:24 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
There's already pretty decent coverage there. It's a bit weak in Brazil itself, but with Avianca Brazil it got better.

UA/AC/CM/AV all have direct flights from North America to different points in South America. CM has great coverage through South America and PTY is a fantastic airport to connect at because it doesn't require any immigration. Panama is a great city to explore too, but getting away from the airport can take forever with the traffic. Avianca has pretty good coverage within South America as well with hubs in Lima, San Salvador and Bogota.

So unless you're trying to fly from Salvador, Brazil to La Paz, Bolivia direct, I think you're pretty well covered with Star Alliance.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 9:33 am

Programs: Miles and More, IHG,Hilton Honors
Flown alot in that region and I can say that lots of carriers make a killing down there...LH used to fly to venezuela until it got burned by the local govt.
and decided to cut its loses and leave.the prices were simply outrageous. Example. CCS-FRA was going for approx 2-3k. BUT FRA-CCS only 600-800$. Local average salary is approx 80-100 bucks. Then LH wonders why no one was flying. Copa well they service is laughable so most simply fly to us and then connect there to europe and asia price is better and so
Is service

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.