Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Can other people add miles on my Star Alliance card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can other people add miles on my Star Alliance card?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Question Can other people add miles on my Star Alliance card?

Hey all!

I'll soon be flying from Europe to New york for business purposes. I'll be there
for about 6-7 months and will be flying a few times within the USA.
Even though I've searched a lot on the internet and the official sites, it is still not clear to me how the Star Alliance works.
I know there is no overall Star Alliance card, but each airlines (or few airlines together) got a 'mileage program'.
Now my main question is if I am able to let other people, my friends who will come visit me, put their miles on my card (when flying with the airlines who has the same mileage program ofcourse)?
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no registration fee of any kind to join a mileage program. Probably want to join the 'Miles & More'-program.

If anybody has other links or information regarding this issue, please share.
Everything is useful and much appreciated! (I'll keep browsing this forum myself).

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Edit: I also suppose I will need the Star Alliance membership card BEFORE I book my flight, right?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
"Now my main question is if I am able to let other people, my friends who will come visit me, put their miles on my card (when flying with the airlines who has the same mileage program ofcourse)?"

No.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks guv1976 for the prompt reply!
I guess its not really worth getting a frequent flyer card when I'll only be flying from Europe to New York (and back ofcourse) and a few (2-3) domestic flights during my stay in the US.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Hi -welcome to FT.

Originally Posted by Veraci
Now my main question is if I am able to let other people, my friends who will come visit me, put their miles on my card (when flying with the airlines who has the same mileage program ofcourse)?
No, you can't do that. You can try to register your FF card No to their reservation (when making the reservation or at on-line check-in) but you will not receive any miles/points. The system will check that the name of the travelling pax corresponds to the name of the card holder.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no registration fee of any kind to join a mileage program. Probably want to join the 'Miles & More'-program.
I'm not aware of any airline charging a fee to join their FFP. That would be highly unusual. Airlines are trying to get as many members as possible.

Edit: I also suppose I will need the Star Alliance membership card BEFORE I book my flight, right?
The easy answer is yes. You need the FF card No. whereas the physical card is immaterial. However, some FFP's allow you to retrocredit for flights made up until a few months before joining the FFP. This does not apply to flights on other Star Alliance partners - I have yet to hear about a FFP that will allow you to retrocredit flights by other Star Alliance partners prior to registration. But you have to check with each FFP whether retrocredit of flights prior to joining the FFP will be granted.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Thanks guv1976 for the prompt reply!
I guess its not really worth getting a frequent flyer card when I'll only be flying from Europe to New York (and back ofcourse) and a few (2-3) domestic flights during my stay in the US.
It depends. Will you be flying in a premium class, or in Economy? Do you expect to do any flying when you finally return home to Europe -- for either business or leisure purposes -- and if so, between which cities?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 3:25 pm

Probably want to join the 'Miles & More'-program.
Don't! The Miles & More program is only worth it if you fly a lot with Miles & More airlines and preferable intercontinental/transatlantic in the higher business class fares.

With your pattern of flying you probably won't even hit the Silver level and not have enough miles in the account to do anything with it besides perhaps booking an economy ticket - which in turn will cost more in taxes than just buying it for cash in the first place.

Depending where you live, there might be better options...

Some might even have family pooling (like SAS used to have and probably will have again with the relaunch of the program later this fall) where you could actually get credit for your friends flights...
Old Aug 23, 2016, 3:48 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by SK AAR
I'm not aware of any airline charging a fee to join their FFP. That would be highly unusual. Airlines are trying to get as many members as possible.
This might be true in *A, but certainly not in general - for example Qantas FFP membership is not free for Australian and New Zealand residents (https://www.qantas.com/fflyer/dyn/joinff). But of course, there are other ways how to get it for free...

So giving such a general answer to someone new here is not a good idea.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Veraci Welcome to FT

..I'll soon be flying from Europe to New York for business purposes. I'll be there for about 6-7 months and will be flying a few times within the USA.
<snip>
Each airline has it own frequent flyer program. They can be and are very different.
FF miles are not equal to earn or use.
Generally you must be a signed up member at the date of your flight. A very few airlines allow to join and claim ff miles for a flight taken before the join up date.
You will better to join a ffp using your Eu address and not a US address
For fights in the USA which airline? Can you chose?.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.