Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

advice - YWG-CPT-YWG - on Star Alliance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2016, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Plat

Any advice on flying YWG-CPT-YWG on Star Alliance? I am looking at departing May 4 and returning on May 11.

Looks to me that flight outbound via JFK on SAA and returning via FRA on LH makes the most sense. I am not keen to do two red-eye flights on the way over which is what it looks like is required if flying via Europe.

I will be flying in Y or PE if that matters.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
How about Ethiopian? YWG-YYZ-ADD-CPT. 13h on a Dreamliner

Turkish is not as good via YYZ as you have a long layover in IST until 0130 and then one stop in JNB on TK40.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 2:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
As this is more a Star Alliance thread than an Air Canada one it's been relocated o the Star Alliance FT Forum for further input for OP.

Regards,

tcook052
AC forum moderator
Old Aug 8, 2016, 2:30 pm

Traveled YWG-CPT-YWG in December and after countless hours of looking/debating about which flights to take I opted to go YWG-YYZ-LHR-CPT and the same return trip. I found it tough to justify the price difference to avoid the red-eye flights, although on such a short trip you almost need to.

Only thing I would suggest is trying to upgrade to J on the Europe-SA portion if possible. Would be worth it in the end as you can actually get a good sleep.

Good luck!
Old Aug 8, 2016, 2:59 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Outbound, the ET connection YWG-YYZ-ADD-CPT is fastest, and avoids the 2 red-eye issue. Returning it looks like via FRA and ORD ( LH and/or UA) will be the fastest.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 10:39 pm

Programs: AC SE, *A Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
YWG-YYZ-CAI-JNB-CPT

The food on ET is the worst... and ADD-CPT is too short if you want to take a nap, and too long if you don't.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 11:15 pm

No routing seems particularly appealing, but whatever you do try to enter South Africa in CPT. Entering in JNB and then connecting (or even worse, on a separate ticket to CPT) will be the last thing you want to do after 24h in Y.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shanqx
YWG-YYZ-CAI-JNB-CPT

The food on ET is the worst... and ADD-CPT is too short if you want to take a nap, and too long if you don't.
Other than food, how is ET?
Old Aug 9, 2016, 9:52 am

Review in Y, Review in C.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Very helpful, thank you.

Originally Posted by malmostoso

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.