Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Adding LH flight to existing UA MP itinerary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2016, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus

Months after booking a UA MP bus class flight from SFO to FRA, I've decided to continue on to Hannover. What's the best way (if any) to link the new ticket that I'll buy from FRA to Hannover on LH to the existing UA itinerary so that I will be rebooked on the next flight if the international leg is significantly delayed. My status and availability of flights won't allow me to cancel the existing MP itinerary and rebook it from SFO to Hannover on one itinerary, which I should have done. Thanks.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Linking PRN is not a way to avoid change fees or misconnect situations. One you make a PNR the only way to do this is to pay for the change.
Linking is pretty much a courtesy the airlines extend that could lead to a generous agent making changes for you but it's not policy.
Backup alternative is train. You connecting in downtown Frankfurt but it's an ICE train to Hannover.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 6:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by johnc3
Months after booking a UA MP bus class flight from SFO to FRA, I've decided to continue on to Hannover. What's the best way (if any) to link the new ticket that I'll buy from FRA to Hannover on LH to the existing UA itinerary so that I will be rebooked on the next flight if the international leg is significantly delayed. My status and availability of flights won't allow me to cancel the existing MP itinerary and rebook it from SFO to Hannover on one itinerary, which I should have done. Thanks.
It's not possible to link separate itineraries in any meaningful way.

If you want the connecting flight on the same itinerary, you can change the award to add the new segment (you don't have to cancel and rebook). Change fees will apply depending on your UA status.

Nice score on SFO-FRA btw, that is a very difficult award. And welcome to FT
Old Jul 18, 2016, 11:54 pm

Another vote for the train. There are several trains every hour, full fare flexible ticket is 89 Euro (book on bahn.de or just buy inside the train station from the ticket counter - not from a travel agent in the walkway). Travel time is around 3 - 4 hours. Comfortable, easy. You can either buy a discounted ticket for one train or an open flexible ticket.

There are some direct trains, some connect. Check bahn.de for the schedule.

Most likely you will be there faster than with a normal flight connection.

Last edited by Unterwegs; Jul 19, 2016 at 12:00 am
Old Jul 19, 2016, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
Another vote for the train. There are several trains every hour, full fare flexible ticket is 89 Euro (book on bahn.de or just buy inside the train station from the ticket counter - not from a travel agent in the walkway). Travel time is around 3 - 4 hours. Comfortable, easy. You can either buy a discounted ticket for one train or an open flexible ticket.
Train sounds like a good call.

Flying J on UA, OP can use LH Welcome lounge at FRA for a shower, then jump on the train.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.