Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Better Award Redemption - Austrian or Turkish

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2016, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold

Experts, I am really conflicted on what might provide a better experience in Business class. I currently have J award ticket from VIE to IAD (originating in MUC) or switch over to Turkish via IST to IAD. Both seem really appealing and both have Do&Co catering.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 14, 2016 at 11:50 am Reason: Moved to *A forum
Old Jul 14, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Personally I would do OS rather than TK. Although the lounge in IST is fantastic, the rest of the airport is ghastly - endless corridors, frequent bus transfers and long queues for security. VIE is much smaller and friendlier and, with superb catering on both airlines, you don't need the best lounge, not to say that the one in VIE is bad - it's good, just not amazing.

So, why OS. The flights are shorter, the routing more direct and the seats are better. Also, whilst the service on TK is good, things like getting a refill of wine are not automatic.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Personally I would do OS rather than TK. Although the lounge in IST is fantastic, the rest of the airport is ghastly - endless corridors, frequent bus transfers and long queues for security. VIE is much smaller and friendlier and, with superb catering on both airlines, you don't need the best lounge, not to say that the one in VIE is bad - it's good, just not amazing.

So, why OS. The flights are shorter, the routing more direct and the seats are better. Also, whilst the service on TK is good, things like getting a refill of wine are not automatic.
^ Every HVF should have the experience of flying OS J. I try to route all of my trips to HKG via VIE one way or the other.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
TK is fine, but OS is better.

Not to mention I'd be a bit weary about security at IST...
Old Jul 14, 2016, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
From MUC, you really don't even need to conclude that OS is better . . . it's the obvious choice to avoid three hours extra in the air.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
OS is great. Just finished my second OS J trip this time from the ex-OSL fares. My routing included a 1 hour layover to connect from OSL - VIE - ORD. Transfer was a breeze and I still had time for 20 minutes in the lounge.

Lounge definitely isn't as good as TK but the rest of the experience is top notch and honestly for an all daytime flight, the shorter flight is better. My crew was on point and proactive (crew in my aisle went and collected extra pillows to help pad the Norwegian beer I'd bought in duty free).

Despite being a daytime flight I managed 5.5 hours of sleep too. I recommend checking in right at T24 is possible too and snagging 1A. Extra room in the footwell is key for throne seat comfort.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.