Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Best Asian Star Carrier Long-Haul Business Class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2016, 11:01 pm
jbb
Original Poster

Programs: SQ *Gold

I'll be flying SIN-New York in J as part of a job move and deciding which Star carrier to fly. Usually, I fly SQ as that is my company's preferred carrier for business travel, but as this is a one-way flight, the policy is that I will be reimbursed for any carrier of my choice. As such, I was thinking of trying something new. I definitely prefer an Asian carrier over anything US-based or European, so that leaves me with SQ, BR, NH, and OZ.

Does anyone have any thoughts on which has the best long-haul J-class?
Old Jun 22, 2016, 12:07 am
jbb
Original Poster

Sorry moderators, I meant to post this in the Star Alliance forum. Can you move this out of SQ and into Star Alliance? Thank you.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 2:28 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by jbb
Sorry moderators, I meant to post this in the Star Alliance forum. Can you move this out of SQ and into Star Alliance? Thank you.
Done.

your SQ forum co-moderator
Old Jun 22, 2016, 7:17 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Nothing to think about - SQ all the way.
BR would be second choice.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yeah I think SQ wins.

OZ not in the running due to no lie-flats SIN-ICN (though they do have the QS service ICN-JFK).

BR or NH just to try something new I suppose.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:54 pm
jbb
Original Poster

Thank you for the thoughts. I've flown OZ J a couple of times between SIN-ICN a few years back on their angled-lie flat seats. I thought soft-product was great, but IFE options limited and as you say, you miss out on their newest lie-flat seat on that connecting flight.

I'm thinking about BR and NH just to try something different. I like NH in general and hubbing through NRT, but haven't flown their new staggered J-class seat which looks blah. Never done an inverted herringbone seat like they have on BR so am sort of interested in trying it out.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 3:14 am

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
You can't lose with either BR or NH. I tried both recently and would highly recommend them. Though I liked the NH lounge in NRT much better than the BR lounge in TPE.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 3:27 am

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, BD Gold, SPG Platinum
If your company pays full-fare one way, then NH is not a concern. However, discounted NH J class may only give you 100% or even less in some mileage program. If miles is a concern of yours, then you might want to check that too.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 8:35 pm
jbb
Original Poster

Originally Posted by huhuhusky
If your company pays full-fare one way, then NH is not a concern. However, discounted NH J class may only give you 100% or even less in some mileage program. If miles is a concern of yours, then you might want to check that too.
I would also lose out on the 25% Krisflyer elite bonus that I would get if I flew SQ... but I probably have far more Krisflyer miles than I will be able to spend in the next two years before they expire, so I don't think this is a huge factor.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 1:35 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
SQ to ZRH: Continue on to EWR or JFK on LX in a crown seat if possible.
FRA: Continue on with SQ to JFK or LH to JFK or EWR or UA
MUC: UA/LH on 763, A330 A340
LHR: Downside is UA from LHR or could go outside to VS but I think earns have been removed for transatlantic flights to SQ Krisflyer.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 9:14 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
You could also try Turkish.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 5:52 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by jbb
I would also lose out on the 25% Krisflyer elite bonus that I would get if I flew SQ... but I probably have far more Krisflyer miles than I will be able to spend in the next two years before they expire, so I don't think this is a huge factor.
Without knowing the details of the Krisflyer program - why not book SQ in paid C and try to upgrade to Suites Class?

SL
Old Jun 26, 2016, 7:25 pm
jbb
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
SQ to ZRH: Continue on to EWR or JFK on LX in a crown seat if possible.
FRA: Continue on with SQ to JFK or LH to JFK or EWR or UA
MUC: UA/LH on 763, A330 A340
LHR: Downside is UA from LHR or could go outside to VS but I think earns have been removed for transatlantic flights to SQ Krisflyer.
I've flown LH, LX, UA business classes and have found the Asian carriers better both in terms of hard and soft product. So, as per my original post, I will stick to SQ (one-plane service via FRA), BR (via TPE), or NH (via NRT).

The only alternative option to those that interests me is SQ via LHR and then VS on to JFK. I've been wanting to try out the Virgin Clubhouse in LHR for some time.

Last edited by jbb; Jun 26, 2016 at 7:31 pm
Old Jun 27, 2016, 3:00 am
jbb
Original Poster

Does anyone who has flown BR, NH and SQ J long-haul have any specific comments re: the relative pros/cons of the seats, dining, service etc? I would be very interested in hearing any details between the three. I have plenty of experience with SQ J, but none on BR or NH J.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 1:17 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by jbb
Does anyone who has flown BR, NH and SQ J long-haul have any specific comments re: the relative pros/cons of the seats, dining, service etc? I would be very interested in hearing any details between the three. I have plenty of experience with SQ J, but none on BR or NH J.
Only flown NH in F, so I will restrict comments to SQ/BR.

Seat: SQ much wider, BR slightly longer ( but SQ has similar effective length due to sideway position

IFE: SQ much more extensive ( and to my taste), SQ screen a bit larger as
far as I recall

Food: I prefer SQ, but not by much. Both have "book the cook" options -
BR only ex-TPE, SQ ex-SIN plus a few others. SQ has far more
selection for BTC.

Service - Both very good crews for the most part.

All that said, if you have extensive experience on SQ, why not try BR for a change?
You cannot be TOO disappointed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.