Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Transfer Times in BKK, and connecting different reservations.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2016, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Asiana Club Diamond

I am looking at a trip to Nepal, and seeing as booking it all as one trip through a single airline is extremely expensive, I've decided to purchase several different segments on different airlines to get there. This would have me take SQ 970 from SIN-BKK arriving at 8:35 and then fly TG 319 from BKK-KTM departing at 10:15, giving me an hour and 40 minutes to transfer. Normally that shouldn't be too much of a problem, and if you do end up missing your flight due to a late inbound arrival, the airline should have you covered. However, since I am booking the two flights on separate reservations, TG probably wouldn't re-book me in the event that I do miss the flight, right? Now I've read on a few threads that even if you are booked on two separate *A reservations, the agent at your originating airport should be able to check your baggage all the way through to your final destination. (here is one such thread) Does this extend to ticketing as well i.e. would I be able to have the Singapore Airlines agent print me boarding passes for both segments of my trip? If not, I would have to clear immigration in BKK, check-in with TG, and re-clear security which I'm not comfortable with only allotting 1:40 for. And if it turns out the SQ agent can do that, would I be covered in the event that I miss my flight? If the answer to any of those questions is no, I'll probably spend the night in a hotel, and take the flight the next morning.
Old May 16, 2016, 4:21 pm

Usually you can check baggage thru with different tickets as long as the airlines involved have an interline agreement and no policy against it. SQ to TG should be ok - unless somebody knows better.

But if your incoming flight arrives late in BKK and you miss your next flight your baggage will (normally) not be loaded onto the next flight and you can pick it up in BKK - which means going thru immigration and wait for the bag (after finding which belt it should come out). This can take a while.

Then you need to check in with TG again. Now it depends on the condition of your ticket and the helpfulness of Thai if the let you go on the next flight, charge a change fee or make you buy a new ticket.

Personally I would not risk it with only 1:40 between the flights. Lots of things to do in Bangkok. In the last 7 days your SQ flight was 6 times approx. on time and one time more than 2 hours late.
Old May 16, 2016, 4:27 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Weymar Osborne
... Does this extend to ticketing as well i.e. would I be able to have the Singapore Airlines agent print me boarding passes for both segments of my trip? If not, I would have to clear immigration in BKK, check-in with TG, and re-clear security which I'm not comfortable with only allotting 1:40 for.
It is unlikely SQ would print boarding pass for the second flight. However,
you can do OLCI, and print your own . And even if you do not have the
boarding pass, you simply go to the transit desk on arrival while staying
in the sterile zone - you do not clear immigration to check in with TG.
Old May 17, 2016, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Asiana Club Diamond
Ok, thanks. What I'm thinking is I'll through check my bag all the way to KTM but still take the next day flight. My bag can stay at the airport overnight so I won't have to worry about it and I'll just go directly to the hotel after arrival.
Old May 17, 2016, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Weymar Osborne
Ok, thanks. What I'm thinking is I'll through check my bag all the way to KTM but still take the next day flight. My bag can stay at the airport overnight so I won't have to worry about it and I'll just go directly to the hotel after arrival.
I doubt that they'll check your luggage through to continue the next day. At any rate, with or without boarding card for your next flight, you'll get zero protection if you miss your connection at BKK (e.g. late arrival): you'll loose your reservation, including the return leg! Unless you're a gambler, in which case you should fly to either Macau or Las Vegas instead of Nepal, simply don't do this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.