Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Can UA check-in/sight p'port for NZ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2016, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Situation – Departing IAD on UA to LAX. On a SEPARATE ticket, I then fly from LAX on NZ to SYD via AKL.

To take advantage of the new airside connection at LAX from T7 (where my UA flight will arrive) to TBIT (where my NZ flight will depart) can/will UA sight and verify my passport at IAD even though my UA ticket is purely domestic?

With United's new baggage policy, UA will still be able to interline with NZ and check my bag all the way thru to SYD (*alliance).

If I want to stay airside all the way at LAX and avoid going landside and checking in with NZ and then clearing security again, someone will have to see my passport – I am hoping UA will be able to do that at IAD thus relieving me of the need to go landside at TBIT to check in with NZ. (Don't forget I am on separate tickets)

I can check in with NZ via a mobile device but the passport sighting has me a bit puzzled at the moment.

Or does/can this happen? – check in via mobile with NZ, stay airside at TBIT and then show my passport at the NZ departure gate?

Thanks for any pointers/feedback.
Old May 1, 2016, 7:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Bags can be checked through (at the discretion of the agent) but UA cannot do the passport verification for NZ. You can do that at the lounge or gate inside security though.
Old May 2, 2016, 2:16 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
This is usually done at the gate, by issuing the boarding pass there on NZ stock, although if you have lounge access at LAX (Air NZ run the *A lounge in TBIT) they may be able to do it there.

If you can't get UA to through check bags then you'll need to go landside.
Old May 2, 2016, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
This is usually done at the gate, by issuing the boarding pass there on NZ stock
So assuming UA check the bag through, could that mean that I can "check in - show passport & get BPs" at the NZ gate at LAX after arriving there via the airside connection.

(I have a feeling I wouldn't be able to check in online with NZ because my passport has to be sighted somewhere)
Old May 2, 2016, 9:46 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
yes .
Old Nov 3, 2016, 2:31 am
Original Poster

An update as to what happened a few days ago.

at IAD, UA did indeed check my bag all the way through to SYD after about 10 mins of typing away on the keyboard. (went to the Additional Services desk)

I didn't get NZ boarding passes issued at IAD.

At LAX, I stayed airside from T7 to TBIT. Happy about that as the TSA queues as viewed from the T4 to TBIT connector walkway looked long.

There was an earlier NZ flight to LHR so I went to that gate at TBIT and was issued boarding passes for my flights back to SYD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.