Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Asiana 380 F or ANA 777 F, Asia-US

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2016, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP

I'm flying from NRT, and have the option of both as an F award.

Obviously, the NS is easier. But I enjoy the travel, and I have time on my hand. So aside from the ease of a NS, can someone weigh in on the pros/cons on F on both flights?
Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by zrs70
I'm flying from NRT, and have the option of both as an F award.

Obviously, the NS is easier. But I enjoy the travel, and I have time on my hand. So aside from the ease of a NS, can someone weigh in on the pros/cons on F on both flights?
Both are great products. NH has a bit more privacy, OZ has less traffic in the aisle and a quieter plane. The F lounges both in NRT and ICN are just average.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
Both are great products. NH has a bit more privacy, OZ has less traffic in the aisle and a quieter plane. The F lounges both in NRT and ICN are just average.
Food is better on NH in my opinion, particularly ex-NRT (as opposed to from an outstation, where it is still good but slightly different). Beverage selection is relatively similar between the two airlines. I can't remember which had the better bed, as I didn't sleep a ton on either flight, but I feel like it was NH. I'd probably go NH if I had to pick between the two.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 6:50 am

F lounge in NRT is way better than lounges in ICN. Unless I didn't go to the one in ICN, or I went and remember nothing.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I was slightly underwhelmed by the OZ hard product. It's spacious and private but the seat controls are awkward, it's difficult to find a comfortable lounging position, and the AVOD selection is pretty weak. OZ F lounge at ICN nothing special at all. Very similar to J lounge, just fewer people.

On the other hand, OZ food and service are very good (but I think you already know that).
Old Apr 30, 2016, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by s0ssos
F lounge in NRT is way better than lounges in ICN. Unless I didn't go to the one in ICN, or I went and remember nothing.
I've been to the ICN OZ F (and both of the OZ lounges on the concourse at ICN, but not the main terminal OZ J lounge), and I mostly recall it being very quiet and spacious mostly due to few passengers using it as it only caters to OZ F passengers. It also had an extremely nice bathroom (IMO). I'd prefer the ICN OZ F lounge over the NH F NRT lounge personally, but not by so great a margin that it would change my mind either way.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
I've been to the ICN OZ F (and both of the OZ lounges on the concourse at ICN, but not the main terminal OZ J lounge), and I mostly recall it being very quiet and spacious mostly due to few passengers using it as it only caters to OZ F passengers. It also had an extremely nice bathroom (IMO). I'd prefer the ICN OZ F lounge over the NH F NRT lounge personally, but not by so great a margin that it would change my mind either way.
I would agree with this assessment. Back in 2014 they served JWB in the OZ F lounge but there are reports that this is no longer happening. OZ F lounge also feels (and looks) like a quiet library.

NH serves Hibiki 17 in the NH F lounge if you are a Japanese Whisky fan and has nice views of the apron.

What is the NRT - ICN equipment? That could impact this decision - when I flew OZ F it was JFK - ICN - NRT and the ICN - NRT was on the A321 which wasn't particularly good and not enjoyable to fly after already doing JFK - ICN.

I would disagree on the earlier point about NH F having more privacy since OZ has sliding doors in F for both the A380 and 777 and NH F does not.

For me - I prefer the privacy of the OZ seat but NH F wins in my book due to service and food (OZ's wasn't bad in either department but NH's was fantastic).
Old Apr 30, 2016, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Duke787
Back in 2014 they served JWB in the OZ F lounge but there are reports that this is no longer happening.
That's gone and the food in the lounge is terrible (except the mini-cartons of Haagen-Daz).

It is a very quiet lounge though.
Old May 1, 2016, 10:19 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I haven't flown either but from everything I have read NH is the way to go here. What ever you chose, please report back.
Old May 17, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
I think both the ICN F Lounge and the NRT F Lounge are quiet and not very crowded. But I feel the NRT F Lounge is more spacious with better food options. Both are much nicer than UA F lounges in the US.

If OP is flying from NRT, I would recommend the non-stop flight. In terms of NH F service, IME they treat the Japanese passengers differently (better) than American (or non-Japanese) passengers although it could just be a language/cultural thing. I don't think it was a revenue ticket vs award flight, because I was on full revenue tickets on NH F. It may be a difference of treating ANA elites better on their own metal vs *A partner elites though.
Old May 19, 2016, 2:01 pm

Between NH and OZ, safety would be decisive factor for me. I do not know how much OZ improved pilot training and CRM after SFO crash. With NH, on the other hand, I have no issues whatsoever, probably one of the safetest airlines in the world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.