Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

No CDG *A Lounge Access as *G flying 4U!

No CDG *A Lounge Access as *G flying 4U!

Old Mar 11, 2016, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Yep. The point of all these baby airlines intentionally not being part of Star Alliance is to avoid having to honor all the *A benefits.

It really is a knock on the value prop of the Alliance, but I don't envision it changing anytime soon.
Originally Posted by JVPhoto

I thought it was to pay crew/staff less and operate closer to an LCC where most things are a no frills fare. Sure not providing *A benefits are a plus to them but I don't think it's the driving motive.
Right. I think we are saying the same thing. Their LCC model means they are intentionally not a part of *A, which avoids many costs for them.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Right. I think we are saying the same thing. Their LCC model means they are intentionally not a part of *A, which avoids many costs for them.
Sorry I mis-read and thought you said the "primary" reason was to circumvent *A. But at least as a UA elite we get thrown a bone with 4U.

I'll say though with 4U I can now usually book a decent o/w ticket for like 75-80 where normally LX/LH o/w can be like 300-400.
If I wanted to stay in *A before 4U with a decent price o/w like TXL-LHR or CDG-TXL often it meant flying SK and connecting in Scandinavia.
Old May 5, 2016, 12:07 pm

Hello,

In a few weeks I will be flying Economy UA SFO-CDG + Germanwings CDG-DUS.

I am UA*G.

Given the previous, will I be able to access the Senator Lounge in CDG? I was just on the phone with a United Club agent who guaranteed me, "100% sure", that I will not have access.

The LH site does say (as someone else pointed out before) the following:
http://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/Lounge-types-and-access

Advice for passengers who are departing with Eurowings:

Passengers who have a Star Alliance Gold Card, however, do not have access to the Lufthansa Lounges. Exceptions to this are the Star Alliance Gold Card customers of the airlines United Airlines (UA) and All Nippon Airways (NH), who receive access to Lufthansas Senator and Business Lounges.
I thought Germanwings and Eurowings are the same thing now, so based on the previous I would have thought I should be allowed to enter the lounge...

Thanks in advance

Last edited by LeonS; May 5, 2016 at 1:50 pm
Old May 6, 2016, 4:31 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Yes, Eurowings and Germanwings are the same, EW markets 4U flights.

EW/4U lounges can be found here: https://www.eurowings.com/en/your-re...-benefits.html

The designated 4U/EW lounge in CDG is the LH C/SEN lounge.
Old May 6, 2016, 1:03 pm

^^ Thanks a lot!

I am a bit disappointed that the United Club agent scared me with the wrong information
Old May 14, 2016, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
I was told at the DUS SEN lounge that while flying 4U, *G does not have lounge access as 4U is not a LH flight nor a *A flight. Were they mistaken? I know DUS only has LH flights to FRA/MUC a couple of flights to the US and everything else is Germanwings or Eurowings.
Old May 14, 2016, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Time traveller
I was told at the DUS SEN lounge that while flying 4U, *G does not have lounge access as 4U is not a LH flight nor a *A flight. Were they mistaken? I know DUS only has LH flights to FRA/MUC a couple of flights to the US and everything else is Germanwings or Eurowings.
They are correct.
Old May 14, 2016, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is nothing odd or screwy about this. 4U is not a subsidiary of LH in any way, shape or form. It is owned by the same holding company as LH. LH is a member of *A while 4U is not.

If 4U wished to join *A, I suppose that it likely could do so and simply piggyback the LH system, but it clearly doesn't want to.

But, bear in mind that international lounge access is relatively expensive and LCC's aren't set up around them. Lounge access isn't free, it's simply included in the ticket price and what OP wants, is going to cost more and that defeats the theory behind having a LCC in the group.
Old May 14, 2016, 8:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Often1
If 4U wished to join *A, I suppose that it likely could do so and simply piggyback the LH system, but it clearly doesn't want to.
Well that suggests that 4U management is somehow separate from LH Group, and of course it is not. It's a wholly owned and controlled subsidiary.

And it's not as if US-originating connecting pax are choosing to fly 4U; they're being forced on to it if they want to connect onwards within Europe.

This is solely about LH cutting costs by cutting passenger amenities.
Old May 18, 2016, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by Time traveller
What kind of *G did you have? According to what was said above, United Premier Gold should have been accepted into the DUS SEN lounge when flying 4U.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.