Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Star Gold Flying VA / NZ trans-Tasman Lounge Access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2016, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA Silver, NZ Gold

Hi,

I'm a *G on OZ with an upcoming flight operated by NZ but marketed by VA. They have a special trans-Tasman alliance that codeshares these flights. I'd like to know if I can use the NZ lounge before my flight as it is my understanding that on *A metal matters. As per their lounge access policy: "Customers holding valid proof of their Star Alliance Gold level status and a boarding pass for a Star Alliance member airline operated flight in any class departing from the local airport."

Am I wrong to think the wording here implies that I should be able to get access to the lounge as I am flying on NZ metal?

Anyone got experience getting into a lounge under these circumstances?

Should I print out the policy and give it a try?

Cheers!
Old Mar 3, 2016, 8:42 am

You can try, but according to the previous wisdom you won't get any *G benefits.

To get more accurate answers, maybe the mods can merge these threads into the NZ forum.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: NZ Koru
You can try it, but would be likely rejected at the door.

NZ uses an system when you scan you boarding pass as your enter the lounge, it will be then flash green/red depending on your ability to access the lounge.

As you're on an VA ticket you won't be able to add your *G OZ number to your booking, you might be able to get the self check-in machine to take it.

If you try to enter the lounge with you're OZ *G card, the staff will see that you're on a VA Ticket on there system.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:03 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I know that in the opposite situation (NZ flight number but operated by Virgin), when you check in your boarding pass just shows the flight details of the operating carrier. So in your case yours will presumably show the NZ flight details, so manually presenting your Star Gold card should be worth a shot, both at check-in (not that NZ's so called premium check-in at SYD is very good - it's frequently slower than using the machines) and at the lounge. But as others have said, best to assume you won't have access.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA Silver, NZ Gold
Update: It worked!

A quick follow up. It worked without issues or raised eyebrows 3 out of 3 times. Lounge agents just put my *G number into the FQTS field and welcomed me in. As a bonus I got use some Koru vouchers to get into the lounge while flying on a VA operated flight... SOP or call me super lucky, as always YMMV.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 3:20 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
This is good to know, as I may find myself in that situation soon. However I have VA Gold (as your profile says you do too) so why would you need the *A Gold to get in? Surely VA Gold does the trick?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.