Wiki Posts
Search

Can someone explain this?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2016, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold

So previously I showed up way early for a flight at LAX to test out some different lounges. First time I'd ever done it, I had my mobile BP for LAX-LAS, got into every lounge and past TSA with no issues.

So I planned on doing it again, had my mobile BP for JFK-WAW on LOT, couldn't get past TSA at JFK T-4. It just wouldn't scan for some reason. First one agent said I couldn't cuz it was the wrong terminal, I explained the situation and another agent confirmed I was right. But still, wouldn't scan and despite having all the info on it, I guess that scanner is the be-all end-all and no human can allow you past it.

So I bailed on T-4, went to T-7 where LOT operates, still 5 hours early, tried to get in there, same problem. Only this time TSA told me I was "too early".

Both sets of TSA reps told me to try with a paper boarding pass, but I couldn't get one since LO check-in wasn't open for another 5 hours, and there seemed to not be a single printer for me to print my emailed BP in the entire terminal (pre-security).

Has anyone else run in to this situation? Is there an ACTUAL reason I couldn't get in? When I finally did cross the TSA line it was with a physical BP from LO after they opened. Would this have all been solved if I had brought a print out? I had chances to print the BP at YUL/YVR lounges the night before, but didn't think to bother since I had mobile.

For anyone wondering, since the move to T-7 at JFK, LO uses the British Airways Galleries lounge (among some other non-OW carriers) even for star gold members. At check-in I was told to present my card, which I never carry, turned out to be a non-issue at the desk of the lounge, didn't even need to show her the picture of my card. Nice lounge fwiw.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 1:19 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Being able to access any terminal with a boarding pass at LAX is an airport policy. I don't know if JFK has the same policy.

It seems your LAX-LAX would be on a US airline. That may be the difference in being able to scan the BP early vs. LOT not being able to.

I think I've run into a similar issue in the past (with paper BP) being unable to clear security until check in reissued the BP locally (I was checked in from a connecting international flight on another airline).
Old Feb 4, 2016, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I'm pretty sure when I went through TSA in SFO, flying SQ, the scanner had some weird beep/message that the ID checker had to ignore, something about the bar code not being able to be read. My wife asked, and he said it had to do with it being a foreign carrier.

In our case, we were in the correct international terminal, and he checked our ID against the name on the BP, and we were good to go.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 7:39 pm

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
I have run into a similar problem at LAX TSA couldnt scan my BP issued in HNL and I was instructed to get another one at the AA desk.
Unfortunately the AA first line was running very slowly and having taken an hour to process one pax the agent went on break leaving me with 15 mins to make the flight.
Eventually I managed to get a BP which was again rejected by TSA scanner- this time because it was actually someone elses BP that had been handed to me... back to the queue to be told it was now too late to be issued a BP, after much persuading I was issued with another BP which was rejected by TSA for being too late for the flight!
Old Feb 4, 2016, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz 5-Star, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by pinkcat
I have run into a similar problem at LAX TSA couldnt scan my BP issued in HNL and I was instructed to get another one at the AA desk.
Unfortunately the AA first line was running very slowly and having taken an hour to process one pax the agent went on break leaving me with 15 mins to make the flight.
Eventually I managed to get a BP which was again rejected by TSA scanner- this time because it was actually someone elses BP that had been handed to me... back to the queue to be told it was now too late to be issued a BP, after much persuading I was issued with another BP which was rejected by TSA for being too late for the flight!
No kiosk you could have used to get a new BP? I have done that before...just because I can use the First Class line doesn't mean I need to...not trying to be snarky here...just curious why one of the kiosks wasn't an option?
Old Feb 4, 2016, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Prem Exec, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Used to happen frequently at LAX. I ended up always checking in online (learned my lesson at a smaller airport when staff ducked out early and no one could check me in) and printing at kiosk. Still happens with some frequency at other airports, but it's getting better.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 8:36 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite

On a side note, NK BPs are unable to be read by most TSA bar code readers. I think it has to do with their opting out of TSA Precheck.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 11:44 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
JFK is odd indeed.
I had an AA issued BP for a BA flight recently. The TSA at BA's Terminal made me get a BA BP as their systems only load boarding passes issued by airlines leaving any given terminal.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:21 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by cwy1980
No kiosk you could have used to get a new BP? I have done that before...just because I can use the First Class line doesn't mean I need to...not trying to be snarky here...just curious why one of the kiosks wasn't an option?
Yep, tried the kiosks to the left of the queue even before I joined the line , wouldnt issue a BP and the screen told me to see an agent at the desk . Even tried it again after the second (wrong) BP was issued

I dont understand what snarky means but if you mean sarcastic then yes, you have achieved your aim
Old Feb 5, 2016, 7:06 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus, SQ KrisFlyer, BA Avios, SPG Gold, Priority Club, Platinum Card
My fiancee and I showed up to JFK in T1 for an AeroMexico flight about 4-5 hours early for the same reason; to experience the lounges etc...AeroMexico had issued an online boarding pass to which was promptly denied by TSA/Airport Security. They didn't even scan the BP, all they kept saying was AeroMexico does not allow mobile tickets, Airport Security kept telling me i needed a paper pass. Of course AeroMexico has no agents until an hour before scheduled departure...I kept thinking to myself "then why the $@$% would they issue a mobile boarding pass".

FYI - There is an internet cafe in the T1 arrivals area, by baggage claim, that charges a ridiculous about to print. (cost me 8 dollars to print two boarding passes ($6 for 30 mins time even though I used computer for 1 minute and $2 for print)). I figured it was worth it just so I could get in the lounge, after I presented the printed passes they scanned and we got through.

We enjoyed the Air France lounge very much!
Old Feb 5, 2016, 7:24 am

A true mobile boarding pass looks like a square bar code. If you are using the printed pass from your phone, and it doesn't read, TSA is going to reject it.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 7:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
TSA's policy is that so long as you hold a valid BP for departure from the station, you may pass through any checkpoint on the day of travel. There are some very limited exceptions, none at JFK.

This is even true if you wish to access a terminal/concourse/area not served by your operating carrier because you want to access a lounge, meet a friend or go for a walk.

But, there are limits to the scanners at the checkpoint and it may take a supervisor to override the system and verify the BP, depending on the station, the issuing carrier (of the BP), and the checkpoint.

Unless you know that a mobile BP will work, if you want to try this, have a paper BP in hand and be prepared, at some stations, to wait a good long while as this is as low a priority as exists.

As others note, a mobile BP is not an electronic version of a paper BP, e.g., a PDF. It is its own format.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 8:00 am

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Happened to us at SJC, which I chalked up to them being one of the more incompetent TSAs around. They basically said you can wait for us to see if it's the scanner or go get in a different, non-pre check line and see if that works.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by cwy1980
There are none. T7 at JFK has legit...3 kiosks and they're BA only. But this also doesn't explain why the TSA would say "you're too early" as well. It seemed like the T7 agent just threw out any excuse she could think of, but when I rebuffed her basically she just said "well it won't scan so you have to wait".

FWIW today I was on the return journey, I get issued a paper BP for JFK-YYZ, but I only got that because I went to check a bag. So i put it away. Went to the TSA line...I was told mobile BP didn't work that I needed a paper one. So aside the main question, which unfortunately seems to still be unanswered, why does AC issue mobile BPs for airports where they aren't allowed (or at least aren't allowed for AC), this happened to me at BOG as well, where security specifically said they don't accept them.

I guess TSA can't let you in even if they can see your ID and the BP and get verification from a supervisor AND have pre-check? The scanner is the be all and end all of access? I can only assume one day this will be a problem for me and it bothers me that they can't use a human element to get past it.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by drvannostren
There are none. T7 at JFK has legit...3 kiosks and they're BA only. But this also doesn't explain why the TSA would say "you're too early" as well. It seemed like the T7 agent just threw out any excuse she could think of, but when I rebuffed her basically she just said "well it won't scan so you have to wait".

F
They were talking about the person mentioning what happened to them with AA at LAX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.