Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance planning routes to South Pacific

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

I know this might be a bit far fetched, but are there any plans to open Star Alliance routes from the US to the South Pacific (Tahiti specifically)? Oneworld already has some service via American's partnership with Air Tahiti Nui and SkyTeam has some with Air France. This seems like a viable route with United's aggressive 787 deployment out of LAX/SFO, even if the flight is only a few days a week. Any thoughts?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:55 pm

Programs: AC
AA codeshare agreement ≠ Oneworld service

Anyway there is already *A service from LAX to RAR with NZ.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 12:57 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by woakley5
I know this might be a bit far fetched, but are there any plans to open Star Alliance routes from the US to the South Pacific (Tahiti specifically)? Oneworld already has some service via American's partnership with Air Tahiti Nui and SkyTeam has some with Air France. This seems like a viable route with United's aggressive 787 deployment out of LAX/SFO, even if the flight is only a few days a week. Any thoughts?
Air NZ used to fly LAX-PPT-AKL but dropped it many years ago. Unprofitable.

Air NZ's sole remaining island flight from mainland USA is LAX-RAR-AKL and exists solely due to a considerable subsidy from Cook Islands government.

For LAX-PPT you can fly TN or AF, or NZ LAX-AKL-PPT (although this is a large backtrack).
Old Feb 6, 2016, 6:27 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I am a bit surprised that there is no service from an east Asian carrier (TG, SQ, OZ, CA, NH (though TN flies from NRT), or non-Star carriers like CX). There aren't even any flights from Australia. I guess Tahiti is more on the radar screens of Americans and Europeans.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 1:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by woakley5
With fuel much cheaper these days, who knows what UA will come out with. The problem is that's strictly a leisure route so harder to fill the front cabin and not sure how much cargo demand would be there either.

Overall, *A coverage in the South Pacific isn't so bad with UA from GUM and NZ from AKL, but may not be an efficient routing from the US. I don't believe either of the other alliances have nearly as many islands available.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 8:32 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by dvs7310
Overall, *A coverage in the South Pacific isn't so bad with UA from GUM.
I thought UA dropped its sole South Pacific flight from GUM (to CNS)?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 4:58 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
In any case *A never plans new routes, its mostly a patchwork of their key members thinking up a plan and then stiching it into the *A route network. If there is considerable traffic (like say HNL) to a particular destinations, the member will try to synch the timetable to capture some feeder traffic.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I thought UA dropped its sole South Pacific flight from GUM (to CNS)?
You're correct, I should have said Pacific Islands rather than South Pacific for UA. They cover Micronesia and that region well but nothing in the proper South Pacific anymore, for that it's all NZ for *A.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.