Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Booking a single reservation with UA and SQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Hi guys, this my first post so my apologies and bear with me if this isn't the appropriate forum.

Is it possibly to book a single reservation using both airlines while keeping my fare classes in the earning range of PQM/miles on UA? It doesn't appear that SQ can be be booked through United.com and booking one way flights drastically increases the cost.

For background, I'm going to India from SF in the coming months but want to route through Singapore for ~24-48 hours on the way there.

Alternatively, I've found flights considerably cheaper on united.com if I book SFO-SIN-MAA-SFO (excluding the SIN-MAA leg) as opposed to SFO-SIN, MAA-SFO. However, that first booking process gives me a ridiculously expensive SIN-MAA leg ($2000 or so). Would it be possible to book that and then immediately cancel just the SIN-MAA portion (it would be the only leg on the given airline -- either Singapore, Thai or Air India) as it would be a refundable fare? Or would that require cancelling the entire reservation/increasing the fare on the other legs?

Thanks!
Old Jan 28, 2016, 12:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

If you remove a segment it will reprice the itinerary so that won't work out so well. UA and SQ are not the best of friends so there's a decent chance the itinerary you're looking for requires end-on-end ticketing (where each segment is full price) rather than pricing as a connection.

You can try pricing the itinerary on ITA to see if it is possible to get something more like what you want and then get a travel agent to issue it potentially on UA 016 stock, assuming it is a UA fare. If you want to share more details someone may be able to do more digging, but generally SQ/UA is a mess these days.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Damn, figured that would be the case but thought it might be an interesting loophole.

Yeah, playing around on ITA forces me to do the whole reservation on SQ if I want to route through SIN and do it as one RT ticket. Guess I'll have to multi-city it. Thanks for the assistance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.