Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Possible to split mile accrual across two legs in one flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2016, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Hi there,

got notification that my LH miles are due to expire in March and want to collect miles to extend availability.

I am flying this week from the US to Europe and am wondering if this is possible:

- flight 1 (longer leg): collect miles with UA (my main airline program)
- flight 2 (shorter leg): collect miles with LH (for the sole purpose to avoid mileage loss due to inactivity)

Obviously no double accrual of both programs at the same time.

Any thoughts on whether I am able to pull this off?

Are the any other ways to prevent miles from being lost with LH?

Thank you for any advice.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:18 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

easiest way would be to have no mileage number on your reservation and then after the flight submit one leg to each airline.
You can also try to change the number on the reservation on your connection, but that may be trickier.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:30 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
I strongly advise you to have no FF number in the booking and claim the miles after the flight, starting with LH as this seems to be the more crucial claim for you. The systems of some airliness do not even allow you to change the number in the booking after you have commenced your trip and you probably don't want to take a risk here given that your miles are at stake.
Even if they allow the change in principle, you may not be able to find an employee who can actually carry out the change of numbers because it may not be a straight-forward operation in their system. It once took me 45 minutes at LAX airport to find a DL employee who was able to change my number in the booking - even thiugh the trip had not commenced.

Last edited by cityflyer369; Jan 18, 2016 at 10:36 am
Old Jan 18, 2016, 4:38 pm

Programs: LH*S (FTL), OZ*G, Accor gold, HH Diamond
The bad news is, that account activity will not extend LH miles validity (it is fixed 3 years for non status PAX)

New LH system is crappy, and usually miles are not credited to requested FFP if you change number at the gate (even if correct number is printed on boarding pass).
The best solution is to not put any number during reservation or checkin.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SPlDER
The bad news is, that account activity will not extend LH miles validity (it is fixed 3 years for non status PAX)

Can you please reconfirm this statement?

It is my understanding that every account activity (any miles added) will extend the validity of the mileage balance for x length (one year for big status M+M members... I don't know).

Is that not the case?
Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the info for keeping the booking empty of any milage number.

I already added my UA account into the booking at time of ticketing.

I'm flying Turkish Airlines and will tell them to delete my account details at the gate so that I can reclaim retro.

I hope someone can confirm the activity-extension question though.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 7:13 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
Unlike other FFP, LH M&M miles can not be extended simply by account activity. From LH M&M FAQ:

For how long will my award miles remain valid?

Award miles remain valid for 36 months from the date of the activity and expire — if they have not been used — at the end of the quarter. Members who hold the Frequent Traveller, Senator or HON Circle Member status or who have a German Lufthansa Miles & More Credit Card* are not affected by this mileage expiry deadline.
(*For customers with an international Miles & More Credit Card special terms and conditions apply.)

The miles due to expire at the end of the current quarter and at the end of the next quarter are shown on your online statement.

You will receive a summary of all the miles which are due to expire at the end of the current quarter about two months in advance in your online newsletter.

As an illustration take the following example: you flew from Frankfurt to New York on 12.12.2015. The miles you earned for this flight will expire after 36 months at the end of the next quarter, i.e. on 31.12.2018.

If you wish to prevent your miles expiring by applying for a Miles & More Credit Card, you can do so here.

Last edited by ACflyerDE; Jan 22, 2016 at 7:49 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.