Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

NBO-LAX: Ethiopian or Turkish?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, QR

I am using my Mileage Plus miles to book a Business Class award from NBO to LAX. I see availability going via Addis Ababa on Ethiopian, and then travelling on Ethiopian or Turkish Airlines. Obviously the Turkish flight will have me changing planes in Istanbul.

As for seating and service, which airline has a better Business Class service? Have flown on many, but will be my first on either.

Thank you in advance.

Robbie
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Robbiemp
I am using my Mileage Plus miles to book a Business Class award from NBO to LAX. I see availability going via Addis Ababa on Ethiopian, and then travelling on Ethiopian or Turkish Airlines. Obviously the Turkish flight will have me changing planes in Istanbul.

As for seating and service, which airline has a better Business Class service? Have flown on many, but will be my first on either.

Thank you in advance.

Robbie
Turkish hands down. No question here. You will be treated like a king!
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
Turkish hands down. No question here. You will be treated like a king!
+1

Plus I've heard the lounge in IST is a must-see.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
The only problem with TK is that, once you have flown them, you will find everything else unsatisfactory.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: NEXUS, UA Club
I haven't flown Ethiopian, but when I was booking flights and was researching both airlines, the TK product seemed superior to ET. Also TK had the benefit of lie flats vs ET (I know on TK this is route dependent but to LAX should be lie flats, I'm not entirely sure about ET). That being said, I ended up flying with TK and the service was fantastic, so I'd definitely give my vote to TK.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
TK is pretty easy choice here. They can get you all the way to LAX, and the IST lounge is great. It would be painful to get on a domestic transcon after ADD-(FCO)-IAD, and the ADD lounge is not good.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by PVDProf
TK is pretty easy choice here. They can get you all the way to LAX, and the IST lounge is great. It would be painful to get on a domestic transcon after ADD-(FCO)-IAD, and the ADD lounge is not good.
Pretty sure the OP's flight would be the direct ADD-LAX not to IAD+domestic.

As others have said - TK all the way. I did J HKG-ADD-GRU this summer on ET, and then GRU-IST-KUL on TK - and there simply was no comparison. And I even got lucky and had the flat beds on ET.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
My Uncle who flies to TLV 3 times or more a year swears by TK and the lounge in IST. He purposely takes the big layover in order to spend more time in the lounge. Lie Flats and service on TK supposedly is on par with Asian carriers.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 3:04 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by eyuro
Lie Flats and service on TK supposedly is on par with Asian carriers.
OK, now that's saying something ^

Oh, and they fly to IAH as well.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by eyuro
Lie Flats and service on TK supposedly is on par with Asian carriers.
The only issue is the 2-3-2 seating, but yes, on par with Asian carriers.
IST can be a shtshow on the ground, but they make up for it in the air.

In any case, either ET (if flat beds) or TK will be a significant improvement over UA.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA *G, Accor/Sofitel Gold, InterContinental Platinum

I believe the NBO-IST leg is a 737, not lie flat. Return to NBO arrives at around 1:30am, so compare time too. However I would agree TK is great, even on a 737.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 6:53 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by RockyMntFlyer
I believe the NBO-IST leg is a 737, not lie flat. Return to NBO arrives at around 1:30am, so compare time too. However I would agree TK is great, even on a 737.
I was searching for reward tickets a few months ago, and the combination of 737 plus Redeye really turned me off, as that is NOT a short flight. Pulled up my Google maps, and realized that while I'm pretty good at geography, Africa is larger than I realized
Old Nov 19, 2015, 9:38 pm

Programs: BA Exec GGL CCR, Turkish M&S Elite, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis First Plus

A few points here:

1. Nbo -Lax is via add and dub. From Add onwards you'll be in a 787 which is not a bad option at all.
2. TK on a 737 is hell. Also the rules at Nairobi have changed and there are no flights after midnight now as far as I know.
3. The lounge in IST is good but don't think it is as earth shattering as everyone says but it's a personal choice thing I guess.

net net is I have tried TK and just last week bought a ET ticket where I had a choice between the two. I think there new 787 business class is worth a shot.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Tk easily. Docomo catering. Super cool lounge in ist, possible layover in ist. In add you can go see Lucy, but there's really no comparison.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Et ground services are even worse than tk, and they don't make it up in the air. The 737 would give me pause, but any non 787 service on et will be "cloud 9", which is no better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.