Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

NBO-LAX: Ethiopian or Turkish?

NBO-LAX: Ethiopian or Turkish?

Old Nov 20, 2015, 5:51 am
formerly MNLGuy

Programs: UAGold/MM DL AA
The connection in IST on TK is not good... long layover on the way from NBO-IST. The connection will improve whenever Nairobi finishes their runway work...

Another option would be to use LX via ZRH or LH via FRA...
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, QR
Thank you all for your great advise.

I booked my flight yesterday with the best option available on the day I needed to fly. There was not much of a choice, as others were mixed cabin or thru IHD, which I did not want.

NBO - ADD on Ethiopian 737 (short flight, so it does not matter)
ADD - IST on TK A330
IST - LAX on TK 777

Don't like the 2-3-2 configuration, but again, no choice here.

What really confused me was that when I called to reserve my seat, the gal told me that the configuration for the 330-200 was 2-aisle-1, so if I wanted a single seat she would have to give me a K seat. Now, while I have flown on several different aircraft types, I have never come across an aircraft with this configuration. Does anyone know if she was giving me correct information?

I asked again, and she told me the same thing. The only thing I can think of is that her English was somewhat scratchy (Eastern European accent) and she was trying to tell me what the 'available' seating was. I asked her again if I could get an 'A' seat, and she told me that if I wanted a single seat, I would have to take 'K'. I am really confused!

Once again, Thanks all for your valuable recommendations.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by Robbiemp
Thank you all for your great advise.

I booked my flight yesterday with the best option available on the day I needed to fly. There was not much of a choice, as others were mixed cabin or thru IHD, which I did not want.

NBO - ADD on Ethiopian 737 (short flight, so it does not matter)
ADD - IST on TK A330
IST - LAX on TK 777

Don't like the 2-3-2 configuration, but again, no choice here.

What really confused me was that when I called to reserve my seat, the gal told me that the configuration for the 330-200 was 2-aisle-1, so if I wanted a single seat she would have to give me a K seat. Now, while I have flown on several different aircraft types, I have never come across an aircraft with this configuration. Does anyone know if she was giving me correct information?

I asked again, and she told me the same thing. The only thing I can think of is that her English was somewhat scratchy (Eastern European accent) and she was trying to tell me what the 'available' seating was. I asked her again if I could get an 'A' seat, and she told me that if I wanted a single seat, I would have to take 'K'. I am really confused!

Once again, Thanks all for your valuable recommendations.
There are planes with 1-2 seating, but AFAIK only small jets in domestic F. All the ADD 737s I've flown were 2-2 in the front. I think the TK A330s are 2-2-2.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 8:27 am

Programs: BA Exec GGL CCR, Turkish M&S Elite, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis First Plus
Just as an update...

I travelled on the 787 and have to say the service onboard was really really good on both my FCO-ADD & ADD-DLA. Ok to be fair ADD is a bit mad but as long as you are travelling business then you will have no issues. Honestly I was surprised at the service level and was up there with BA.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Similar to OP I will be looking to book and award MCI-xxx-Nairobi for a safari vacation. In looking at the UA award calendar going out 11 months there is a lot of availability in J on Turkish. Would this be preferable to Ethiopian for gateway cities accessible to MCI? For me this is ORD, IAH, and IAD. or is there a better *A way to get to Kenya or Tanzania (Kilimanjaro)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.