Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Europe - JNB...ugh Ethiopian or Egyptian?

Old Nov 15, 2015, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Also note that ET doesn't have lie flats in their 787. They use the same Zodiac seat as TK & AI have in their 77W/788, but with a smaller pitch and different setting(s).
Not entirely correct, they do have full flat business class seats on some 787s now and I've heard that all 777 have now been fit with the new seats (ADD-JNB is currently 777, seems like typically 77L but I had a 77W a couple of months ago). I'm not sure how quickly they will refit all of the older 787s with the new seat, so it'll be a crapshoot for while.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 4:47 pm

Programs: ShebaMiles
All 777s now have lie-flats, yes.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM

Well the direct IST-JNB flight opened up so the OP gets a pass on Addis...
Old Nov 22, 2015, 5:54 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by pduck01
Hi - planning family travel next summer and the Europe - JNB leg still isn't cooperating. Just hit platinum on UA so I will book something and hope something else opens up...but the current choice (LH, LX, TK, SA all zilch) yields the option of Egyptian Air or Ethiopian. I'm leaning towards the former as a layover in Addis doesn't sound pleasant. Thought please?
Chances approach 100% that you will survive whichever airline you choose, and the peculiar/different/unusual things, like what passes for a lounge at Addis Ababa... those are the things you will remember for a very long time. ^

The only airline I would go out of my way to avoid right now would be MS. When I've flown them in the past, their attitude about schedules and security could best be summed up as "fly casual." At CAI I actually found myself on the "wrong" side of security, without passing anyone or any obvious barriers to get where I wasn't supposed to be. That was three years ago; hopefully things have tightened up since.

If you're traveling in Y, it's going to be something of an ordeal, regardless of airline.

One possible advantage to routing with TK... somebody's probably already brought it up but I haven't seen it... is the incredible TK lounge at IST.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 5:25 am

Turkish Airlines

Turkish Airlines is comfortable and has excellent food. Stop over in Istanbul!
Old Nov 24, 2015, 10:20 am

Programs: UAL 1k, AA Gold, Delta Silver
Ethiopian Business Class

Also note that ET doesn't have lie flats in their 787. They use the same Zodiac seat as TK & AI have in their 77W/788, but with a smaller pitch and different setting(s).
I flew Ethiopian Biz class on their new 787 in September and it was a pleasant experience. The food was plentiful and delucious, and cabin crew very attentive. I would choose it far and away above Egyptian. The lounge situation is not great, but definitely better than Cairo. I'd discourage a sightseeing outing during your layover just because traffic can be bad and there isn't much to see in Addis unless you are with a local.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:06 pm

Istanbul First over Ethiopian

I've flown most airlines, and recommend Turkish business before Ethiopian or Egypt.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Options to JNB

From the US one option is to try to go to GRU and then from GRU to JNB on SA in business. Fairly good availability of business seats for 45K miles one way. Very poor availability for discounted business from USA to GRU but good availability in coach. 30K each way.

I flew this route last year and was fortunate to get a business on all legs. United business is a decent product, obviously not like Emirates or Singapore(by reputation only, I have not flown but have used the Singapore Silver Kris lounge which exceeds anything I have experience in a US business lounge, their Gold Kris lounge is unimpressive). Ethiopian is decent in business, not as nice as United. Food is ok, does have alcohol which Egyptian does not. I strongly thought about booking Egyptian for my trip next year but decided to bit the bullet and fly revenue coach to GRU and back and use my miles for business on SA between GRU and JNB. I need the miles to stay 1K. I wasn't real keen on a completely dry flight for 25+ hours so that was the reason I gave back the Egyptian tickets after I got them. Also disadvantage that Egyptian flies out of JFK and that means a shuttle van ride to EWR for United connections. Ethiopian has option of Ethiopian food in business. Interesting and worth trying at least once. However for me not more than once.

12 hours Zombie class on United from USA to GRU is not fun but doable. I intend to sleep on the SA flight and I think the SA product is fairly equal to United business. Wine list on SA is probably better than United. Food is equivalent or just a bit below.

I found it very hard to find any flights business on discounted miles from IAD to JNB. SA does have such a flight.

The business lounge for SA at GRU is very nice. Better than most United Clubs. Only the United Hong Kong Club comes close.

Ethiopian business lounge is decent.

Bottom line is if you want all business, go Ethiopian. If you want nice and can get business from USA to GRU then the SA option is good due to the good availability on SA. If you want best availability in business on any airline, then Egyptian. The former president of SA was on an Ethiopian flight I took back from JNB two years ago so that should tell you it is a decent product. I don't think I would want to be back in coach however. If I had to be coach all the way on miles, then probably United to GRU and SA from GRU to JNB.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:13 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
As mentioned before that is changing. The most recent 787s do have lie flat. The earlier ones don't. On a recent DUB-ADD-DUB jaunt I had lie flat on the way out and slope (think LH until recently ) on the way back. Overall ET's business class experience was very good indeed.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM

OP here

Rookie mistake on my part to not just route IST-CPT-JNB or IST-DUR-JNB
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:24 am

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
IST hands down and plan so you have lots of down time in the airport so you can enjoy one of the most fabulous lounges anywhere. Just beware when you are booking with TK that there are TWO international airports in Istanbul and you really do not want to travel from one to the other to continue your journey. Been there; done that only because the flight times out of IST were brutal - 6 am departures, instead of 2 pm. We were going from SFO to Kiev by way of IST. Pray that the airport still allows previewed passengers in the wiki line because the public line (mad house) is brutal.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:41 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus 1K, DL SkyMiles Plat, Avis Preferred, National Emerald, Hertz Gold
ET and TK are very good.

Hi pduck01,

Flying ET is rather comfy, especially on their B777-200LR. The Lounge in ADD is always full, and it's below LH or TK standards. TK in general is very good, so I disagree they being zilch. They offer one of the best lounges in the world. LH's Senator Lounges in FRA as well as in MUC are good, but then the flight won't be, should you consider flying in economy class... SA is good, their flights usually only half full so you should have plenty of space and it's rather quiet on board their A340-600s. I've not flown on Egypt Air by now... As I said, Ethiopian is a good option to fly, though their planes sometimes look somewhat messy - even the seats in the B787s... And South African brings you good comfort with the goodies of LH's Senator Lounges. Best in comfort on the longhaul flights as well as for it's lounges is Turkish Airlines. I have flown roughly 465000 miles this year, 265000 of which on Star Alliance, I hold UA's 1K status...

Originally Posted by pduck01
Hi - planning family travel next summer and the Europe - JNB leg still isn't cooperating. Just hit platinum on UA so I will book something and hope something else opens up...but the current choice (LH, LX, TK, SA all zilch) yields the option of Egyptian Air or Ethiopian. I'm leaning towards the former as a layover in Addis doesn't sound pleasant. Thought please?
Old Dec 29, 2015, 11:24 pm

Programs: ShebaMiles
Ethiopian plans to install lie flats in all 787s by the end of 2017-- perhaps it was fiscal 2017 (July), I'm not quite sure.

As for the lounge situation, it's much improved from years past, and while it certainly compare with what TK offers in IST, it's serviceable. Furthermore, I've seen plans for the present airport expansion and they include a substantially expanded lounge. But that's a few years away. All the same, I'd still strongly recommend ET.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.