Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Difference in Fees When Flying United vs Lufthansa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2015, 6:43 pm
SJR
Original Poster

Hi all, am looking to use UA miles to book a trip next year - ORD-VIE and then PRG-ORD (via either MUC or FRA, haven't decided yet) in business class. I am UA Plat. The return flight appears to be operated by Lufthansa.

I have been told there is a difference between booking on United and booking on Lufthansa when it comes to the taxes being paid - that is, booking on Lufthansa using awards would be more expensive since it's not a US-based carrier. Can someone please clarify / explain? Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 7:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no difference in taxes. Those are set by the various governments and do not change no matter where and how you book.

You are talking about fees. Those are not taxes and are set by the individual carriers.

LH has high fees, UA has fundamentally none.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 9:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Some airlines pass fuel surcharges through to the customer, some don't.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 10:48 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If you book using UA miles, the taxes and fees should be the same for either a UA or LH flight (all else being equal).

If you book using LH M+M, the LH flight will be considerably more expensive due to fuel surcharges.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 12:31 pm
SJR
Original Poster

Thanks. Have since discovered that I was given misinformation - this was from a friend who had booked award travel through LHR and apparently there is a luxury tax through LHR (UK rules, nothing to do with the airline itself).
Old Oct 4, 2015, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by SJR
Thanks. Have since discovered that I was given misinformation - this was from a friend who had booked award travel through LHR and apparently there is a luxury tax through LHR (UK rules, nothing to do with the airline itself).
There are two aspects of LHR which are expensive. One is the facility fee paid by everyone. Another is the APD, a tax paid to Her Majesty which doubles if flying in a premium cabin. The APD only applies to trips originating in the UK (and not BFS).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.