Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Thinking of jumping ship from SQ/KF

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thinking of jumping ship from SQ/KF

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:43 am

Programs: *A Gold, QF (ex-QP), AA, TG, A3 Gold, VA, SQ
You have to decide whether loyalty to a single airline, for flying AND miles crediting, really serves you best. If you find yourself flying that airline just to maintain status with them when you know you would be better off cost/schedule/status/convenience-wise with another airline(s) then it's time to spread your wings.

For me, alliance loyalty makes sense, as with *G I can choose from a range of airlines and get similar privileges. Aligning myself with a single airline for flying/crediting, as I did previously, got me very little more (and in some cases considerably less) than I would have got from other airlines in the same alliance. If an airline barely values my loyalty, why should I be loyal to them ?

I still have one or two favorites in *A who I do mostly fly with, but I don't credit miles to either of their FFPs because those programs are not competitive. At least they get my business, which they wouldn't if they weren't in *A.

For some people, a change may mean crediting all their miles to an airline they may rarely or never fly with.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 2:20 am

Programs: KF EG
Originally Posted by lcpteck
Wow that's alot of flights for SIN-HKG.

I haven't tried Suites yet, probably won't have a chance to. Maybe by the time I'm able to fly Suites SIN-FRA-JFK, the next generation Suites would be out...

Yep, I spent over 100 days in HKG i think lol. If you just want to try it, just take the cheapest SIN-HKG leg. Its around 32k miles one way. Good enough to try TPR and suites feeling. Can get it by 'buying' miles with credit cards by paying annual fees. Just get 3 of them and you will be on the way in a year.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by Kelvin L
Yep, I spent over 100 days in HKG i think lol. If you just want to try it, just take the cheapest SIN-HKG leg. Its around 32k miles one way. Good enough to try TPR and suites feeling. Can get it by 'buying' miles with credit cards by paying annual fees. Just get 3 of them and you will be on the way in a year.
It's okay, I rather use my miles wisely. I wouldn't be able to enjoy the bed for such a short flight.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ KF Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat
Flew Suites LAX-SIN recently, exhausting my store of miles. Service is out of this world, but to me on a plane all I really need to sleep is a flat surface and SQ's hard product in J is already pretty darned good, so will probably go back to redeeming J tickets in the future.

Although that being said, F is only that little bit more than J in terms of miles required, YQ is more or less the same so who knows..
Old Sep 6, 2015, 7:12 am

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
I am based in SIN as well and use UA. I do fly SQ a fair bit, specially to India given they have the most flights and find it worthwhile crediting my SQ flights to UA as well. The only thing I credit to Krisflyer is MI. My biggest challenge is that I'm not able to redeem Krisflyer in premium; I have kids and its pretty much impossible to get 4 seats in J or F when I want them. I've even had my wife's Krisflyer miles (earned from MI flights) expire because I couldn't find a use for them!
Old Sep 6, 2015, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ KF Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by zakami
I am based in SIN as well and use UA. I do fly SQ a fair bit, specially to India given they have the most flights and find it worthwhile crediting my SQ flights to UA as well. The only thing I credit to Krisflyer is MI. My biggest challenge is that I'm not able to redeem Krisflyer in premium; I have kids and its pretty much impossible to get 4 seats in J or F when I want them. I've even had my wife's Krisflyer miles (earned from MI flights) expire because I couldn't find a use for them!
What are your thoughts on using UA out of SIN? Can you get more than 2 redemptions in J on the same flight? I've had a good run on redemptions with SQ in the past couple of years but my daughter turns two this month so will no longer be able to redeem two seats + buy infant seat anymore, which is what I've done for the past couple of trips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.