Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Air China flight operated by El-Al

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2015, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum Elite

I may have found a solution of my problem of flying to Asia from Israel with Star Alliance, but I am not sure if there are any hidden issues I am not aware of.

There there a direct flight sold on Expedia from Tel-Aviv to Beijing, which is sold as "Air China operated by El-Al", economy class K.

I wonder, if I book this flight, will it be considered as start alliance flight and thus will I get my miles and other privileges (second bag, lounge access) as Star Alliance gold member?
Old Jun 22, 2015, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

Nope. Mileage actual in *A goes by operating carrier, not marketing carrier. Baggage allowance and lounge access is always done by operating carrier.

Have you looked at TK for these kinds of flights? When I was based in India, it's how I got to Israel. TK is the biggest international carrier in TLV, so has lots of departure choices into Israel, so would almost certainly have connections to TKs flights to China. Though large, IST is a great airport to transit (and the best *G lounge worldwide, IME). And flying to BOM, because of the circuitous route LY has to take around many of the countries around it, not to mention the lack of daily service and timing of the flights, the TK connections weren't much longer than a nonstop would have been.

Just a thought.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum Elite
Thanks. Yep, TK is probably the next best option.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA, TG, LH
How is "Operated by" defined?

Nope. Mileage actual in *A goes by operating carrier, not marketing carrier. Baggage allowance and lounge access is always done by operating carrier.
Due to my destinations I have not flown on a *A ticket on a codeshare flight, that was not operated by a *A carrier in > 15 years, so I could not find anythig in my account statements to prove or disprove your statement. ISearching for flights, e.g. FRA-AKL I noticed a number of *A flight number that are sometimes code-share with non *A airlines like Cathey, which depending on Ticket class and letter either is not elidgeable or provide 25%, 50% or more of the distance miles.

I checked Staralliance.com, which says
A qualifying flight is any flight that is eligible for earning miles or points. For information about qualifying flights, eligible booking classes and fares, please refer to the terms and conditions of the frequent flying programme you belong to.

So I checked the LH M&M website and found for all *A airlines something like
### airline "You can earn miles on all scheduled flights operated by ###. You earn award (and status miles) on every flight.
which is either a fixed milage or some percentual milage acrual based ticket class letter.

"Operated" includes in my non english nature speaker understanding, any codes share flights operated under the ### *A airline ### flight number. Otherwise we would not get miles on ### *A code share flights not operated with a plane from airline ###.

For one reason or another most *A airline may offer *A code share flights under ### *A flight number that are not operated by a *A carrier, e.g. because no *A will fly to this destination.

Can anyone verify that they received the milage on a *A code share ticket in accordance to the ticket class letter that was not operated by a non *A airline recently?
Old Jun 22, 2015, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by snn47

"Operated" includes in my non english nature speaker understanding, any codes share flights operated under the ### *A airline ### flight number. Otherwise we would not get miles on ### *A code share flights not operated with a plane from airline ###.

For one reason or another most *A airline may offer *A code share flights under ### *A flight number that are not operated by a *A carrier, e.g. because no *A will fly to this destination.
Operated by means just that, the airline whose name is painted on the side of the aircraft. Codeshares are "marketed by", not "operated by". You can have heaps of codeshares on any one flight but only one operating carrier. In *A, with very rare exception, you get miles based on the airline who is flying the plane, if that's a non-alliance carrier then you get zilch. The more common exception to this is if you're using the frequent flyer program of the marketing carrier, then you will probably get miles, but if you're flying an LH flight operated by CX for example and you use United Mileage Plus then you would not get anything.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 8:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by dvs7310
Operated by means just that, the airline whose name is painted on the side of the aircraft.
Another term for this that you'll run into on FT is "metal". So this flight is on LY metal, operated by LY, and marketed by CA.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by dvs7310
Operated by means just that, the airline whose name is painted on the side of the aircraft. Codeshares are "marketed by", not "operated by". You can have heaps of codeshares on any one flight but only one operating carrier. In *A, with very rare exception, you get miles based on the airline who is flying the plane, if that's a non-alliance carrier then you get zilch. The more common exception to this is if you're using the frequent flyer program of the marketing carrier, then you will probably get miles, but if you're flying an LH flight operated by CX for example and you use United Mileage Plus then you would not get anything.
I did not credit miles to another *A carrier than LH for many years, so I just looked for those code-share tickets which were according to your definition ""marketed by", not "operated by"" should have been not (status) milage capable.

For all of those ### *A code-share tickets sold by that ### *A carrier, but which were not operated by that ### *A carrier, did I receive (status) miles in accordance with the ticket class letter that I booked it under. This includes ferry as well as long distance flights. I also received the (status) miles, when I was rebooked by that ### *A carrier e.g. due to delays, flight cancellation and strikes (BKK airport) and includes TG, SN, NZ, LH, UA, AC, US code-share flights.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 12:24 am

I did not credit miles to another *A carrier than LH for many years, so I just looked for those code-share tickets which were according to your definition ""marketed by", not "operated by"" should have been not (status) milage capable.

For all of those ### *A code-share tickets sold by that ### *A carrier, but which were not operated by that ### *A carrier, did I receive (status) miles in accordance with the ticket class letter that I booked it under. This includes ferry as well as long distance flights. I also received the (status) miles, when I was rebooked by that ### *A carrier e.g. due to delays, flight cancellation and strikes (BKK airport) and includes TG, SN, NZ, LH, UA, AC, US code-share flights.
That's because all of those carriers you listed are (or were in the case of US) *A members, and LH offers award AND status miles for *A carriers (like many other *A carriers do). Additionally, a particular *A program can partner with non-*A carriers to offer miles for that unique program-for example if you are earning on LH, you can earn status (and award) miles on Luxair, which is not a *A carrier
Old Jun 23, 2015, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by gruimed
I may have found a solution of my problem of flying to Asia from Israel with Star Alliance, but I am not sure if there are any hidden issues I am not aware of.

There there a direct flight sold on Expedia from Tel-Aviv to Beijing, which is sold as "Air China operated by El-Al", economy class K.

I wonder, if I book this flight, will it be considered as start alliance flight and thus will I get my miles and other privileges (second bag, lounge access) as Star Alliance gold member?
If I were in your shoes, I'd try to figure out a way to make one of these discounted J fares work (Beijing doesn't seem to be an option, but WUH-PEK and CTU-PEK are reasonably short flights, and not expensive):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premi...er-thread.html
Old Jun 23, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K
and includes TG, SN, NZ, LH, UA, AC, US code-share flights.
You're overthinking this.

You got miles because TG, SN, NZ, LH, UA, AC and US are (or were) Star Alliance partners. End of subject.

You do not get miles if the equipment you fly on was marketed by a non Star Alliance partner. It's all about who's tin can you're in, not who sold you the ticket.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by steveman518
... Additionally, a particular *A program can partner with non-*A carriers to offer miles for that unique program-for example if you are earning on LH, you can earn status (and award) miles on Luxair, which is not a *A carrier
Thanks for rephrasing what I meant point out. Except for one Air Alaska flight on a UA ticket, where I got award and status miles for/under the missed UA flight when UA rebooked me. Besides that I only flew some of the 10 non *A airlines on LH's M&M list, but nothing like CX on a NZ ticket.

So I would say gruimed has a 50/50 chance to get miles, but since it depends mostly on the *A milage program he uses he has to check with them if they award milage credit credit for such tickets or not.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:05 pm

Programs: A few.
Would anyone know if Brussels air has an arrivals lounge at JFK for business passengers. Thanks in advance
Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by Precision1
Would anyone know if Brussels air has an arrivals lounge at JFK for business passengers. Thanks in advance
Wrong thread?
Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
So I would say gruimed has a 50/50 chance to get miles, but since it depends mostly on the *A milage program he uses he has to check with them if they award milage credit credit for such tickets or not.
You could say that, but you'd be wrong....there is exactly a 0% chance of miles being given for this, at least based on the OPs profile which shows their *G as a UA elite, so assuming they would want the miles there.

As pointed out in this thread several times, *A awards miles based on the operating carrier. It doesn't matter who you book through, or what carriers code is on the ticket, it matters the carrier code that you actually fly (this is different than the other 2 big alliances, where it is marketing flight that counts). It doesn't matter who in *A, miles are always done by operating carrier. End of story.

Now, if Air China has an agreement with LY to award miles on LY flights, then yes, OP could claim miles to an Air China program account. But UA is not partners with LY, and there is no way OP will get miles here to their UA account. OP will also not receive any *G benefits, like lounge access or free checked bags over what LY would normally gives.

Again, my advice for Israel to China while getting miles and benefits as a *G is to look at TK.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 12:16 am
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Thanks for rephrasing what I meant point out. Except for one Air Alaska flight on a UA ticket, where I got award and status miles for/under the missed UA flight when UA rebooked me. Besides that I only flew some of the 10 non *A airlines on LH's M&M list, but nothing like CX on a NZ ticket.

You got credit for Alaska flight due to Original Mileage Credit, i.e. you booked on UA, but due to delay or cancelation, UA had to put you on someone else, but you can request and earn the miles you would have gotten as if you had flown your original UA flight. In this case, you could earn miles on Alaska programs too.

But this is totally different than if you go out and book an Alaska flight on your own, even on UA ticket, which is the case for OP.

As others have said gruimed has 0 chance to get miles. You cannot even earn on Air China's Phoenix miles as El-Al is not a partner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.