Wiki Posts
Search

LAX-TLV on J

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2015, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lt Plt
LAX-TLV on J

Hello all, need some advice. Planing a trip LAX-TLV on J, which of the following options is the best one

AC LAX-YYZ-TLV on 788
LX LAX-ZRH-TLV on 340
LH LAX-FRA-TLV on 380
UA LAX-EWR-TLV on 777

Inbound basically the same route/plane. Thanks!
Old May 21, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: Ex-5C club, Skymiles Gold
LAX-TLV on J

We are fans of the LX J product but I have to admit that the AC Dreamliner might be fun to try at least one direction. As a bonus, the LX lounge in ZRH is quite nice.
Old May 21, 2015, 11:40 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Flaneurs
We are fans of the LX J product but I have to admit that the AC Dreamliner might be fun to try at least one direction. As a bonus, the LX lounge in ZRH is quite nice.
+1 I too like the LX J product and highly recommend it. Also, have you looked at TK via IST? They have a great J product, and from what I hear amazing food too.

Definitely rank LH last - there is no guarantee you will get their new seats on the A380.
Old May 21, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
Not sure what aircraft LX uses on ZRH-TLV (A 330?), but LH uses A320 with crappy business class seats on FRA-TLV.

For me, LX>AC>UA>LH.
Old May 21, 2015, 3:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Madone59
Definitely rank LH last - there is no guarantee you will get their new seats on the A380.
Yes, there is. All now converted to new J. Besides which it's the 748 from LAX.

That said, I second the TK recommendation
Old May 21, 2015, 5:29 pm

LAX-TLV on J

Looks like TK is only $2288 LAX-TLV for dates in June which without looking at the others I am betting is a significantly better rate. Having never flown TK I can't vouch for it but I just checked out the pics on seatguru and I have to admit it looks pretty good.
Old May 21, 2015, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I'd go for TK as well. IST-TLV is a fairly short flight so you get the vast majorty of the time in a long haul J product.

UA would be a non-starter for me because the LAX-EWR flight is domestic config and that's not a short flight at all. If I recall, FRA/ZRH-TLV is shorter than LAX-EWR but still no ball of joy if with Eurobusiness configuration, so depends on what LX flies into TLV.

If you do AC, what's the flight LAX to YYZ on? I suspect that's just as unpleasant as UA.
Old May 22, 2015, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice!

Originally Posted by Madone59
+1 I too like the LX J product and highly recommend it. Also, have you looked at TK via IST? They have a great J product, and from what I hear amazing food too.

Have not looked at TK, but will definitely take a look!

Originally Posted by LAX/HKG
Not sure what aircraft LX uses on ZRH-TLV (A 330?), but LH uses A320 with crappy business class seats on FRA-TLV.

For me, LX>AC>UA>LH.
LX uses ZRH-TLV 321/330

Originally Posted by dvs7310
I'd go for TK as well. IST-TLV is a fairly short flight so you get the vast majorty of the time in a long haul J product.

UA would be a non-starter for me because the LAX-EWR flight is domestic config and that's not a short flight at all. If I recall, FRA/ZRH-TLV is shorter than LAX-EWR but still no ball of joy if with Eurobusiness configuration, so depends on what LX flies into TLV.

If you do AC, what's the flight LAX to YYZ on? I suspect that's just as unpleasant as UA.
Have not taken that flight on J, but uses A320
Old May 22, 2015, 10:11 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by marubill
Best food, excellent seat (better than UA or LH), best lounge by a mile (IST), most direct routing with least time in a narrowbody.
Old May 22, 2015, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by marubill
Thank you for the advice!

LX uses ZRH-TLV 321/330

Have not taken that flight on J, but uses A320
Sounds like by far your most comfortable choices then are TK or LX, and LX only if you can get the A330 flight both ways between ZRH and TLV. I would not take a narrowbody from Europe if IST is an option, nor would I do an AC A320 transcon or UA 738/A320 transcon. The only way UA would make sense to me is to use the P.S. to JFK then take a shuttle or train to EWR for the TLV flight but that's an unnecessary expense when TK is far superior to UA.
Old May 22, 2015, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
You should be able to mix and match.

I would take UA or AC outbound. That way, you land after the long haul, and you are there.

Take LX or TY on the return, enjoy their great service, and land after long haul ready to get in car.
Old May 22, 2015, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by zrs70
I would take UA or AC outbound. That way, you land after the long haul, and you are there.
That's one approach.

But I would rather land in IST, spend a couple hours in the TK lounge, including a shower, then hop on the very short flight to TLV.

This to me would be much preferred to a very long domestic connection on a narrowbody, followed by an inferior TATL to TLV.

I'd also rather depart TBIT in LAX and have easy access to the excellent *A lounge.
Old May 23, 2015, 8:26 am

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
You could do LAX-JFK-somewhere in EU such as FRA/ZRH- and then you are stuck again with narrow body to TLV
this is if you want to maximize your time in a decent J product without having to do TK or stop in Istanbul.

I have a problem with Turkey but that is a different discussion in a different forum.
Old May 24, 2015, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the advice
Old May 24, 2015, 10:31 pm

LAX-TLV on J

Have a great trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.