Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Free Heathrow Express upgrade for *A Gold members

Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Markie
These are the current rules:

Star Alliance Terms and Conditions for Heathrow Express Upgrade for Star Alliance Gold status holders

1. WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE?

This Promotion is open to all Star Alliance Gold status holders (Star Alliance Gold Holders) aged 18 and over only. Proof of age may be required at any stage of the Promotion.

2. WHO IS THE PROMOTER?

The Promoter is Star Alliance Services GmbH with offices at Frankfurt Airport Center, Main Lobby, 60546 Frankfurt am Main, Germany. All decisions made by the Promoter in all matters regarding this Promotion are final and no correspondence will be entered into.

3. PROMOTION PERIOD

The Promotion starts on 15 February, 2016 and will last for as long as the Offer is valid. The starting and closing time depends on the scheduled timetable of the Heathrow Express (Fulfilment Partner).

4. ENTRANTS AGREEMENT

By entering this Promotion, you are deemed to have understood, accepted and be bound by these Terms and Conditions (Terms). Please retain these Terms for your future reference.

5. HOW THE CAMPAIGN MECHANISM WORKS AND WHERE IT IS ACCESSABLE

The Promotion operates only on Heathrow Express trains and at London Heathrow Terminal 2. The Fulfilment Partner offers a benefit (Offer) to Star Alliance Gold Holders as further specified in Section 6 below.

You must present your original and valid Star Alliance Gold Frequent Flyer Programme card in order to receive the Offer offered by the Fulfilment Partner.

You may not use the Offer in conjunction with any other reward, discount or benefit of whatever nature and regardless of whoever provides such other reward, discount or benefit.

You may not transfer the Offer to any other person. There is no cash or any other alternative to the Offers provided under this Promotion.

The Offer is a subject to seating availability.

6. FULFILMENT PARTNER OFFER DESCRIPTION

Fulfilment Partner offers Star Alliance Gold Holders a free upgrade to Business First Class on trains to and/or from London Paddington and Heathrow Airport T2. Please note that the Standard Heathrow Express Conditions of Carriage apply in addition to these Terms.

To receive this Offer you must purchase of a full fare standard class ticket to and/or from London Paddington and Heathrow Airport T2, and show your valid Star Alliance Gold Frequent Flyer card when prompted in Business First Class on the train.

7. OFFER LIMITATIONS

The Promoter reserves the right to amend, cancel, or modify the Offer at any time at its sole discretion and without prior notice.

8. YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES

You shall be solely responsible for:
paying any and all taxes associated with the receipt or use of the Offer awarded in this Promotion, including but not limited to country, state, local taxes and VAT; and
paying all relevant airport taxes and airport charges (if applicable); and
indemnifying and holding harmless the Promoter from and against any and all damages, losses, costs, injuries and claims arising out of or in connection with your participation in this Promotion and/or acceptance and use of the Offer in breach of these Terms or in breach of applicable law.

9. WAIVER

By participating and entering in this Promotion, and subject at all times to Paragraph 13 (PROMOTORS LIABILITY SPECIFICATION TERMS), you release to the fullest extent permissible by applicable law, the Promoter, the Fulfilment Partner, the Star Alliance member carriers and any of their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, employees and agencies from any liability whatsoever, and waive any and all causes of action related to any claims, costs, injuries, losses or damages of any kind, whether consequential or otherwise, arising out of or in connection with this Promotion or delivery, mis-delivery, acceptance, possession, use of or inability to use the Offer (including, without limitation, claims, costs, injuries, losses and damages related to personal injuries, death, damage to or destruction of property, rights of publicity or privacy, defamation or portrayal in a false light, whether intentional or unintentional), whether under contract, tort (including negligence), warranty or other alleged cause of action.

10. PROMOTERS RIGHTS TO CHANGE THE TERMS

The Promoter may, at any time, at their sole discretion and without prior notice, amend or modify these Terms and may also suspend, interrupt, terminate or discontinue this Promotion and/or Offer at any time (as it may reasonably deem necessary due to circumstances beyond its control) without notice or liability to anyone. This applies in particular in the event of any circumstances that disrupt the Promotion and/or Offer or prevent it from proceeding as planned.

11. EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY

Neither the Promoter, nor the Star Alliance member carriers shall be liable in any way to any party for any loss or damage arising in connection with this Promotion, for any reason whatsoever, including but not limited to any illegible or lost proof of Star Alliance Gold status, delayed or incomplete use of the Offer, error in computing, any breakdown or malfunction in any computer system or equipment and any notice which is misdirected or lost.

12. PROMOTERS LIABILITY SPECIFICATION

You acknowledge that the Promoter and the Star Alliance member carriers and their respective directors, officers, employees, agents and contractors shall not be liable:
to the maximum extent the law permits the above provision as a disclaimer; and
for any damage, loss, liabilities, injury, costs, expenses or claims suffered by you as a result of entering into this Promotion, redeeming and utilizing the respective Offer, or not being able to redeem the respective Offer; and
for any failure to comply with its obligations where the failure is caused by something outside its reasonable control or any other circumstances amounting to force majeure.

13. PROMOTER'S LIABILITY SPECIFICATION TERMS

Nothing in these Terms limits or excludes, or will be deemed to limit or exclude, the Promoters liability for fraudulent misrepresentation, death or personal injury caused by its fault or liability that may not otherwise be limited or excluded by law.

14. GOVERNING LAW AND JURISDICTION

This Promotion and any disputes relating to it will be governed by the laws of England and Wales and be subject to the exclusive of the jurisdiction of the Courts of England and Wales. This Promotion is void in all countries where it is illegal by law. Residents from such countries must not participate in this Promotion. Proof of address may be required at any stage of the Promotion.

The English version of these terms and conditions is the sole authorised version of these terms and conditions. While every endeavour has been used in the execution of the translation into Mandarin, any conflict between the Mandarin and English versions is to be resolved in favour of the English version in each and every matter, and regardless of the degree of variation or importance between the English and Mandarin versions.
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 12, 2015, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

http://euflyer.boardingarea.com/2015...-gold-members/
Old Apr 12, 2015, 11:56 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold, 1.8MM; Marriott lifetime Titanium

Fantastic! I am going to use this coming Friday. :-)
Old Apr 13, 2015, 6:01 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Interesting I just took the HEX but didn't know of this. Again it's a 25 min ride so not sure if it is that big of a deal.
Going back in 2 weeks but may be more of a hassle trying to prove to the inspector.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 6:26 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Actually, it's a 15 minute ride, so the benefit isn't even as great as you think! .

The upgrade also depends on buying a full-price ticket - which you can probably take to mean no railcard discounts or HEX discount codes are allowed.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:26 am

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Gave this a try today. Ticket inspector didn't seem to have a clue what I was talking about when I mentioned the promo, but he also didn't seem to be too interested in figuring it out and left me be.
Old May 22, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
I asked the ticket inspectors standing on the platform near the first class carriage about this promotion last week, and he knew about it... fantastic offer!
Old Sep 15, 2016, 8:08 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Unfortunately this offer seems to have ended on Sept 1st...
Old Sep 15, 2016, 8:14 am

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
Why go through the hassle to ride first class on a 15 minute train ride? Is the train normally chock full with commuters?
Old Sep 17, 2016, 5:44 pm

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
Originally Posted by tfung
Unfortunately this offer seems to have ended on Sept 1st...
The offer referenced in the previous posts was the 2015 offer.

The 2016 offer http://heathrowt2.staralliance.com/offers should still be valid.

Originally Posted by Bakpapier
Why go through the hassle to ride first class on a 15 minute train ride? Is the train normally chock full with commuters?
The standard class can get pretty full.

You get a free copy of the FT (Financial Times) in first.

A virtual *A gold card via a mobile app does not always seem to make the ticket inspectors very happy, but in my experience to date has not been refused.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 7:55 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Is a free newspaper and guaranteed sitting for 15 minutes instead of maybe have to stand for 15 minutes worth the extra money? Buying discount tickets online saves a substantial amount if you guy up front or with the Duo Saver.

I guess if you're traveling solo and didn't buy a ticket up front, it's only 5 quid or so difference in ticket prices between saver and standard, so buying standard to get the upgrade is probably worth it.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:07 pm

Programs: None anymore
I was advised this evening by the train conductor that this offer ended yesterday, and charged 10 for the upgrade - apparently train crews were informed at the start of their shift today. A manager confirmed the same, but no documentary evidence was offered.

However, I can find no reference to the offer ending on the Star Alliance offer page and it would still appear to be valid. Anyone else experience this?
Old Sep 23, 2016, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K(until 2024), MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Bakpapier
On the rare occasion I've used the Heathrow Express, it's been rammed - but then I only use it if the Tube is not working for some reason.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by 12939
I was advised this evening by the train conductor that this offer ended yesterday, and charged 10 for the upgrade - apparently train crews were informed at the start of their shift today. A manager confirmed the same, but no documentary evidence was offered.

However, I can find no reference to the offer ending on the Star Alliance offer page and it would still appear to be valid. Anyone else experience this?
Helpful terms:

3. PROMOTION PERIOD

The Promotion starts on 15 February, 2016 and will last for as long as the Offer is valid. The starting and closing time depends on the scheduled timetable of the Heathrow Express (Fulfilment Partner).
Seems like HEx can just say "nope, no longer valid" and nick you for extra money.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 1:26 am

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
This offer is back on. I was told by a HEX duty manager that there had been 'issues' between HEX and *A leading to the offer being suspended until the issues had been resolved, but that it resumed on 9 October and will be running indefinitely.

I used the offer yesterday and it was working then.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 12:39 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
It is definitely running today - sitting in First Class now waiting for the 1940 to depart, and the agents at the door confirmed the offer is valid. This certainly looks permanent(ish).

I wonder if HEX's plan was to try and tempt people into paying for First Class following the taster period, and when the numbers didn't materialise they went back and did another deal with Star?

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Oct 26, 2016 at 12:51 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.