Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Best Business Lounge ever-SQ Business Lounge

Old Apr 7, 2015, 11:59 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond ANA Diamond

Best Business Lounge ever-SQ Business Lounge, SIN

AND SECOND BEST IS ANA BUSINESS LOUNGE IN NRT
Old Apr 7, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
May I suggest TK in IST.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 2:57 pm

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by spearsba
May I suggest TK in IST.
TK in IST is great if you like a lot of food options and a big lounge. However, it isn't exactly an oasis of calm.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 6:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
May I suggest TK in IST.
Agree
Old Apr 7, 2015, 6:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
May I suggest TK in IST.
Agree this is number 1 among the ones I've visited.

I also really like the Bridge and the Wing at HKG.

All three of those over the SKL at SIN.

Haven't tried any of the Virgin Clubhouses.

Originally Posted by nycwaybe87
Best Business Lounge ever-SQ Business Lounge, SIN

AND SECOND BEST IS ANA BUSINESS LOUNGE IN NRT
Suggest you try a few more lounges

I like the NH lounges at NRT, but they don't make the top five.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 8:02 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum

I need to get out more. I found the AnA business and even first lounges at NRT to be great! Might need to fly somewhere just to see how the other half lives
Old Apr 8, 2015, 2:45 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
The KrisFlyer lounge at SIN smells nice.

The VS clubhouse at LHR is another level though. Love the roof terrace with the runway views. The deli is great too.

OW has two very decent options as well: QR Al Mourjan lounge in DOH (complete with Krug champagne) and the JL lounge at NRT (runway views, JL curry and the super professional bar staff).
Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee

Suggest you try a few more lounges

I like the NH lounges at NRT, but they don't make the top five.
Originally Posted by bigshooter
I need to get out more. I found the AnA business and even first lounges at NRT to be great! Might need to fly somewhere just to see how the other half lives
Agree with Kacee, I see the NH lounges at NRT and HND most often for obvious reasons and frankly they are better than the best of the United Clubs in the US but not so much better that I'd rank them anywhere near the top. Actually I think the HKG United Club is better than any of the NH lounges. I was similarly let down by the SQ business lounges in SIN but I like the one in HKG much better (except for the lack of a toilet inside the lounge), but it's only useful for me when departing on Air China.

I have only seen SK lounges in Europe, so I can't put European lounges onto my list, but *A lounges I have been impressed by, (places where I can get a decent meal in before my flight is a key criteria):
1) Turkish in IST
2) Thai (main) in BKK
3) South African in JNB, CPT, DUR
4) Singapore in HKG
5) United Club in HKG
6) Star Alliance Lounge in LAX & GRU (except GRU ran out of beer while I was there)
7) Royal Jordanian lounge in AMM (Ok, not a proper *A lounge but I was there on invitation when flying Egyptair, obscenely early in the morning so the full spread wasn't out yet)

Lounges where I expected more and left a bit disappointed (in no particular order):
- ANA (any in Japan)
- Asiana business lounge in satellite (*A) concourse at ICN, main lounge for OZ flights isn't so bad.
- Singapore business lounges in SIN
- Thai in HKG
- Air China business and first class lounges in PEK (ok, left a lot disappointed from these, LOL)

Then there are some I didn't expect much and so wasn't impressed or disappointed:
- Ethiopian in ADD
- SAS in CPH and LHR
- United Club (any domestic)
- Lufthansa in IAD (miles better than a UC, but still kind of "meh!"
- Egyptair domestic lounge in CAI
Old Apr 8, 2015, 7:03 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Cool and now for the worst

So let's name the worst three *alliance lounges too (I agree with SQ, TK and ANA being lovely).

bad: LX lounge at the airside center ZRH, proudly featuring a smoking bar , the SEN section is not much better
very bad: * alliance lounge EZE
dreadful: all TG lounges in BKK, especially at D

The inflation of *alliance golds does not improve the situation .
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:18 am

I'm curious why everyone rates the TK lounge in IST so highly? I was impressed by the size, furnishing and light, but found it very loud and busy (a lot of kids). There were a lot of food stations but they were all very similar. I always prefer a quieter lounge where I can get some work done, but that is just me I guess.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by gspurr
I'm curious why everyone rates the TK lounge in IST so highly? I was impressed by the size, furnishing and light, but found it very loud and busy (a lot of kids). There were a lot of food stations but they were all very similar. I always prefer a quieter lounge where I can get some work done, but that is just me I guess.
I tend to rate amenities to pass my time and food/drinks much higher than peace and quiet. For the Turkish lounge, my personal reasons:

- Food, yes the stations upstairs and downstairs are similar but in the various areas there is quite a variety. It's pretty much all Turkish food though so not great if someone doesn't like that. There is also a very impressive olive bar in a couple spots, it's right in the center near the stairway in the lower level.
- Design and layout
- Showers, the ones upstairs were excellent when the lounge opened in 2011, they are very worn out now and need hardware replacement. The ones downstairs are still very nice though.
- Sleeping suites, if I have a longish layover and didn't sleep on the plane then this is really a godsend, it's private unlike napping chairs in other lounges so I can sleep comfortably and don't have to worry about security of my belongings. I've always been able to get one when requested.

Negatives:
- You're right, it's busy and the kids can be troublesome as a few too many parents let them run as they please. Downstairs tends to be much quieter than upstairs, but it's also where the new entertainment features are like the race track and driving range. The racetrack is downright annoying.
- View, it's a shame they didn't construct it in a place you had a view of something else, airport being preferable or a place you could see downtown or the sea maybe (don't know if these two are possible with the location, but tarmac view certainly would have been)
Old Apr 8, 2015, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by dvs7310

- Sleeping suites, if I have a longish layover and didn't sleep on the plane then this is really a godsend, it's private unlike napping chairs in other lounges so I can sleep comfortably and don't have to worry about security of my belongings. I've always been able to get one when requested.
I was flying out if IST so I only had a couple of hours in the lounge but would really appreciate these suites if I had one of TK's long layovers.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by gspurr
I'm curious why everyone rates the TK lounge in IST so highly?
Self-service booze and lots of food options, mostly fresh-cooked.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sbm12
Self-service booze and lots of food options, mostly fresh-cooked.
The separate security and immigration is also unique and incredibly convenient. Only other lounge I know of that offers this is the LH FCL/FCT.

I also liked the variety of spaces.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
The separate security and immigration is also unique and incredibly convenient. Only other lounge I know of that offers this is the LH FCL/FCT.

I also liked the variety of spaces.
How did I miss this?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.