Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Retroactive Credit from Partners on *A plans

Old Mar 25, 2015, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Platinum)

I have a colleague who took a series of flights from the US to several Asian cities last December (4 months ago). There were flights on Ewa, Singapore, Air China, ANA and United. He's not a FF member in any *A plan so I suggested he do so in order to get retroactive credit. He signed up for a United MileagePlus plan and we submitted the flight details of all of these flights. My assumption was that they'd grant him points for United and also other *A partner flights for up to 6 months back.

United came back telling me that they do not grant points for retroactive flights on partner airlines, just United and Copa (and flights older than 30 days require a $50 fee). That's a shame as several of the flight segments were booked in business class and could generate some significant points.

Are there any other *A partner airlines whose plans might award points for these retroactive partner flights? If signing him up for another airline's plan with different rules on this type of thing, I'll suggest he do so.

Thanks!

Last edited by mjet_cz; Mar 25, 2015 at 4:25 am Reason: Clarity
Old Mar 25, 2015, 6:22 am

In general you have to be a member of a FFP at the time of flying to be able to retrocredit. I personally don't know of any program that lets you just credit like that.

Maybe someone more experienced than me has better stories, but I'm afraid those miles are lost.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by mjet_cz
I have a colleague who took a series of flights from the US to several Asian cities last December (4 months ago). There were flights on Ewa, Singapore, Air China, ANA and United. He's not a FF member in any *A plan so I suggested he do so in order to get retroactive credit. ...

Are there any other *A partner airlines whose plans might award points for these retroactive partner flights? If signing him up for another airline's plan with different rules on this type of thing, I'll suggest he do so.

Thanks!
SQ's Krisflyer might honor ONLY the SQ flights retroactively. But certainly not the other ones. And so might EVA Air , Air China and ANA but again only on their flights on their own programme. Basically its not much point trying to join one programme for each of his flights.

Basically one MUST be a member of a FFP before crediting any flight. You missed it, you missed it. Simple as that. Your assumption that your friend can credit retroactively for all of his flights afterwards is wrong. Sorry.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by malmostoso
In general you have to be a member of a FFP at the time of flying to be able to retrocredit. I personally don't know of any program that lets you just credit like that.
United does, but only for United and Copa flights, and with conditions:

Can I receive credit for trips taken before I had a MileagePlus account?

You may receive mileage credit for United-operated flights taken up to 30 days prior to your enrollment date free of charge. No mileage credit will be given for partner flights. You may also receive mileage credit for United-operated flights taken between 31 days and six months prior to enrollment for a $50 USD service fee. Please contact the MileagePlus Service Center or mail a copy of all ticket receipts and the original boarding passes from your United flight(s) to: MileagePlus Service Center, P.O. Box 1394, Houston, TX 77251-1394.

If the flights taken were more than 30 days prior to your enrollment, please be sure to include your MileagePlus account number and a telephone number along with a credit card number and expiration date. You may also pay by check or money order. Please make your check payable to United Airlines and include the information from one form of identification (driver's license number, passport number, or military ID number). This information should be placed on the top left hand corner of the check. All missing mileage requests must be submitted within six months of flight date.
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Basically one MUST be a member of a FFP before crediting any flight. You missed it, you missed it. Simple as that. Your assumption that your friend can credit retroactively for all of his flights afterwards is wrong. Sorry.
Well, I wasn't assuming anything aside from the fact that SOME airlines allow this (see my comment above re: United). But of course this would have all been a non-issue if he had enrolled in a plan *before* his trip - I'm well aware of that.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: TK G,UA *S
You might try to retro credit these miles to A3. In the past I remember it worked.^
Old Mar 28, 2015, 3:47 pm

A permutation & an (admittedly stale) data point: I had plenty of TAM activity I had just prior to it joining *A. Once TAM officially joined, I requested credit from UA & received it. I'm hoping I'll be able to do the same thing with O6 once it folds into AV (but I'm not holding my breath).
Old Mar 30, 2015, 4:29 pm

Spoke too soon. O6 will not be folding into AV for the forseeable future. This means *A will not have a presence in Brasil (unless AD becomes a member first and this is unlikely at the present time)
Old Apr 7, 2015, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Follow up to my original post:

After United refused the request, I suggested that my colleague sign up for an account with Lufthansa's M&M. We submitted the flight details and nearly all were granted retroactive credit. Go Lufthansa!
Old Apr 9, 2015, 4:00 pm

Programs: United Mileageplus, IHG
how about Aegean??

I think Aegean allows for retrospective claim.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.