Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Should I Double Book on Ethiopian Airlines?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2015, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier 1k

I booked an award business class ticket from the U.S. to South Africa through ADD on Ethiopian. On one leg, there was only economy available. Since it's not that much, I want to just buy that leg so I can sit with my spouse who is traveling with me on a paid ticket.

The problem...

United says it would have to cancel the entire award ticket and rebook to remove that one leg in the reservation. But they can't guarantee the seats will go back into the system to rebook and advised me not to do that.

If I leave the full award ticket in place and buy that one leg through Ethiopian, will being booked twice on that one leg cause reservation chaos? Has anyone ever tried this?
Old Mar 16, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: SEN, FB PLT, HH,

that's right, it can't be twice the same name on on flight, so not chaos but probably one of them will be canceled.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 4:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Aussiesig
I want to just buy that leg so I can sit with my spouse who is traveling with me on a paid ticket.
Deal with sitting apart (you in Y and spouse in C) or deal with likely breaking the whole reservation.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sbm12
Deal with sitting apart (you in Y and spouse in C) or deal with likely breaking the whole reservation.
So either break up with your spouse or break up the reservation. I'm sure you'd rather the latter.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
So either break up with your spouse or break up the reservation. I'm sure you'd rather the latter.
Or sit a few feet apart for a few hours on the same metal tube. Hardly a deal-killer in most healthy relationships, I'd like to think.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Or sit a few feet apart for a few hours on the same metal tube. Hardly a deal-killer in most healthy relationships, I'd like to think.
I have to concur.^
Old Mar 22, 2015, 4:35 pm

Programs: *
Or even better your spouse can join you in Y and give a lucky pax a free upgrade - I have seen that once. A trip in Y won't kill and is no reason to separate you if being together for the flight is important.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.