Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Stick with SQ or Switch to LH in F

Old Mar 8, 2015, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Planning on a SIN-FRA-JFK-XXX trip and was wondering if an LH flight becomes available from FRA in F if I should jump on it or just stick with SQ. Keep in mind will already get the 12 hr flight on SQ to FRA so I wanted to see if its worth switching or not when comparing the 2 airlines?
Old Mar 8, 2015, 4:30 pm

Programs: LH HON

I would switch as it would give you LH F lounge access/ground service at FRA
Old Mar 8, 2015, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by daumueller
I would switch as it would give you LH F lounge access/ground service at FRA
This. Depending on the aircraft, I prefer LH F over SQ F/Suites anyways in the air (and on the ground).
Old Mar 8, 2015, 10:51 pm

If you get the new seats on LH I would switch.

SQ has a good F product, but personally I don't like the way how the SQ seats reclines. The backrest folds forward for a flat surface to sleep on. There is no halfway reclines position and you need to get up when changing from seat to bed.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
If you get the new seats on LH I would switch.

SQ has a good F product, but personally I don't like the way how the SQ seats reclines. The backrest folds forward for a flat surface to sleep on. There is no halfway reclines position and you need to get up when changing from seat to bed.
Even if it is old F I would still switch, especially if OP has a minimum of 3 hours layover in FRA.

The FRA-JFK flight is short, I can deal with old F on LH, but I can't deal with not able to use LH FCL in FRA and has to settle with LH SEN lounge (or if time permit definitely go to FCT). LH FCL and FCT is one lounge shall not be missed and worth for repeat visit.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Well here is the big problem not only is switching to LH F about 20K more in miles but from my calculations it will be at least an additional $300 in fuel surcharges as well on top of the $200ish fuel surcharges from SQ already? Am I right on my calculations?
Old Mar 11, 2015, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

I actually did the math of adding the YQs for SQ all the way through is $237 and to do LH on the FRA portion back to the USA its $396. So since its only a $159 more wouldnt you say its no contest than to try for LH on the Europe to USA route?
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I think it is probably with $159 to do the LH F experience departing FRA once.

I would not pay that repeatedly, but assuming you can have the FCT fun for a couple hours I'd pay it once.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Go for LH! The lounge access is a big +, and personally I really like the new F seat a lot.

Do you have to go via JFK? If you can go via IAD or ORD you can get a 748i. If you can connect in EWR or YYZ the LH 744 has amazing bed/ seat combo.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 7:46 am
Original Poster

My final destination is WAS but am flexible if I have to connect. If the 774 or the 748i?

Originally Posted by Madone59
Go for LH! The lounge access is a big +, and personally I really like the new F seat a lot.

Do you have to go via JFK? If you can go via IAD or ORD you can get a 748i. If you can connect in EWR or YYZ the LH 744 has amazing bed/ seat combo.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I'd try to go FRA-IAD direct on the 748i. That route has great F availability. If you must connect I'd take EWR, YYZ, ORD on the 744's over the 346A going to JFK.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

I'd try to go FRA-IAD direct on the 748i. That route has great F availability. If you must connect I'd take EWR, YYZ, ORD on the 744's over the 346A going to JFK.
Does the FRA-IAD have great F availability year round T-15?
Old Mar 13, 2015, 2:31 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
No FRA-based 346s have new First Class seats.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 3:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ASUDan130
Does the FRA-IAD have great F availability year round T-15?

I've got a year of historical data for FRA-IAD and several other routes in my blog post.

n.b. The link above is to my blog or to one which I am a regular contributor. FT rules require that I disclose that in the post.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 2:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold,
For a day flight: 748i
For a night flight: 744
(Both in F obvi)

The sleeping sitch on the LH F 744 is absolutely the best of any carrier that I've tried so far.

I also echo the sentiments about the FCT at FRA. You should totes do it.

-G

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.