Lufthansa or Air Canada

Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Lufthansa or Air Canada

Hello All,
I had a question for everyone. We are planning a trip for the summer, and on the return leg we have an option of either flying Lufthansa or Air Canada. The trip will be from London to Boston via either Frankfurt or Canada. Lufthansa would be a 747 Air Canada a 777. The total travel time on Lufthansa is about 1.5 hrs more. I am wondering what everyone feels would be a more comfortable onboard experience, service, chair comfort, etc; and what your overall recommendation would be.
Thank you!
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, gallja02!

Are you planning on flying Coach or Business? That will make a huge difference.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Business class or economy?

If Economy: Most people despise LH economy seats, but AC has went high density on some routes with their 77W, so worth checking to see what you would have. AC has two types of 777, the 77L (777-200LR) and 77W (777-300ER), so unfortunately just knowing 777 doesn't give enough info. The LHR-YYZ route shows 4 flights on a random day I checked in June, one 77W, one 77L, and two 763. You need to check on which flight you'd potentially be on, 77L is a 3-3-3 config, the 77W may be a 3-3-3 or it may be 3-4-3 which is the dreaded high density config.

If Business Class: LH has 2 different types of 747, so need to know which one. 747-8 is the new one and has lie flat seats, 747-400 does not, they are angle flat and most people don't care for them. AC is lie flat on both 77L and 77W and would be my choice of the two in C.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 3:16 am

Lufthansa or Air Canada

the angle flat seats aren't the end of the world for the day flight. I don't think AC flies the HD plane to London, only Paris. I would avoid the extra time at Frankfurt. the only reason I would consider Frankfurt would be if it's a late departure from Boston and the extra time will help you get a good night's sleep.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 4:57 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dvs7310
If Business Class: LH has 2 different types of 747, so need to know which one. 747-8 is the new one and has lie flat seats, 747-400 does not, they are angle flat and most people don't care for them.
LH has started retrofitting the 747-400 with new Business seats but only some of the fleet will have been retrofitted by the summer.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 4:59 am
Original Poster

It would be economy, and either a 747-400 or 777-300ER. Going through Toronto we would leave just after noon and get in to Boston just before 6pm with a 1 hr 25 min layover in Toronto. Going through Frankfurt, we would leave 11:30 am get into Boston just before 8, with about a 4 hr layover in Frankfurt. Is their a United lounge in Frankfort? How about the differences in onboard services, food/beverage?
Thanks!
Old Feb 25, 2015, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gallja02
It would be economy, and either a 747-400 or 777-300ER. Going through Toronto we would leave just after noon and get in to Boston just before 6pm with a 1 hr 25 min layover in Toronto. Going through Frankfurt, we would leave 11:30 am get into Boston just before 8, with about a 4 hr layover in Frankfurt. Is their a United lounge in Frankfort? How about the differences in onboard services, food/beverage?
Thanks!
The United lounge sucks, I would go for Senator lounges.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Lufthansa or Air Canada

I flew Lufthansa to Israel via frankfurt on 747 (to FRA) and it was horrible. Seats are old, heavily used, filthy and just as high density as the new 777 config on air canada. At least on air canada you may get an old config and a Plane/interior that isn't 20-25 years old like on LH.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Thanks!
I think most people would suggest the YYZ routing, although that connection is a bit tight.

If you have United Club access (either *G or UC member), you can access the MLL (maple leaf lounge) at YYZ or the LH lounges at FRA.

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
The United lounge sucks, I would go for Senator lounges.
What are you talking about??? There is no UC at Frankfurt.

And the new UC at LHR is the best in the world and preferred by most over the LH SEN lounge.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for the feedback. Can you get into the Senator's Lounge using a United Lounge one time pass?
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Thank you all for the feedback. Can you get into the Senator's Lounge using a United Lounge one time pass?
No. Only United Clubs. You can access the UC at LHR.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
If AC is only running the HD 77W to CDG right now then I think this is a no brainer, go with AC via YYZ. The reason one above poster said that 1h 25m is a bit tight is because you'll clear US immigration and customs at YYZ in a pre-clearance facility. This means you land at BOS as a domestic flight. I'd be perfectly comfortable with that transit time, but it does mean you'll want to go straight there and clear before stopping off for shopping or food. I was thinking that the MLL sold day passes but I don't see it on their website, they do take Amex Platinum if you have one of those. By the time you clear US immigration, customs, security, etc though you'd have minimal time for a lounge anyway.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:53 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
AC does run 777 high density to London, but currently only on the YVR route. YYZ services are all standard density. If travelling as a couple in Y, the OP may find the 767's - whilst older - to be a better bet given the 2-3-2 layout.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 6:05 pm

Programs: WS Silver, Bonvoy Plat
deleted
Old Mar 7, 2015, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Another advantage to AC through Toronto is that you will clear US Immigration and Customs in Toronto and arrive in Boston as a domestic flight so no formalities. If you come on LH from FRA you have the Immigration and Customs to go through in Boston.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.