Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Trying to get TYO to NYC This Summer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2015, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

So I'm trying to figure out the best way to get from TYO to NYC business class or better, in or around mid August.

Ideal date is 8/11, but i haven't been able to find anything. We are pretty flexible with our dates.

We are happy to take a 23 hour layover somewhere cool as well, but the more i look the more frustrating it is.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old Feb 22, 2015, 11:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Assuming you're trying to use miles?

Wait until the last minute. I've had no problems getting seats on UA, NH, OZ, etc within a week of departure in premium cabins. I recently did OZ NRT-ICN-LAX on the A380 in F then UA PS in BF to JFK. NH F to ORD and IAD was open the same day as well but I don't like NH's food nearly as much. Another example, last summer in mid-July I had to go to the US and got UA same day departure NRT-ORD in GF, there was also plenty of BF to IAH and other hubs but the ORD flight had better timing for me. I'd be pretty confident that unless you're trying to book the first or second day of a Japanese major holiday (GW and NY) then you'll be fine booking at the last minute. Obon is during that time but since not as many companies give free vacation for Obon as the other holidays, it's less of an issue. I see revenue tickets higher during Obon but premium cabin mileage tickets have been reasonably available in past years I've looked.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 7:40 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
First, which airline's points are you trying to use?
Second, have you tried indirect routings? Via Europe?
As the poster above mentioned, capacity opens up close to the date.
I would book anything that is available now, so you have a back-up, then finetune
closer to the date.

Last month, I wanted to fly TPE-YYZ in J on reward travel. At time of booking, all
I could get was TPE-NRT-ORD-YYZ, which I booked. About 1 week prior to travel, I
was able to change to TPE-PEK-YYZ. Then 4-5 days prior to departure, the non-stop
TPE-YYZ finally opened up, and I made my final change.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 7:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, British Airways, Alaska
I noticed a thread in the Premium Fare section if you decide to use cash instead of points.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premi...nd-2500-a.html
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:59 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by Brandon Fuhrmann
So I'm trying to figure out the best way to get from TYO to NYC business class or better, in or around mid August.

Ideal date is 8/11, but i haven't been able to find anything. We are pretty flexible with our dates.

We are happy to take a 23 hour layover somewhere cool as well, but the more i look the more frustrating it is.

Anyone have any suggestions?
8/11 is just before Obon in Japan, meaning a lot of people will be traveling and award space is at a premium. School holidays in July and August will also impact award availability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.