Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Using the wanted FFP program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2015, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK G,UA *S

As we are living through so many changes in many FFPs right now many of us (not that frequent traveller 20-35k a year) are looking for the FFP which best suit the individual needs.

Whether staying with A3 gold, status matching to TK or Asiana FFP we want to get the highest level of status with the flights we get.

However, I was wondering how difficult could it be to switch to the needed FFP at the check in time or gate? I refer hear mostly on the allowance to get 2 checked bags for free, because lounge access was never a problem to get just by flushing another gold card.

For example: taking a UA flight but using A3 status to get the free bags.But what if I want to consolidate my miles with UA? Would I be able to switch the FFP to my UA right after checking the bags?
Will UA allow it?
Any other issues which could appear by switching the FFP?
Old Feb 8, 2015, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Changing ffp at the gate is problematic. Some times it sticks and some times it does not, not matter what is printed out on the boarding pass.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...post-here.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
Old Feb 8, 2015, 10:57 pm

Programs: Qantas WP, LTG , Delta, SPG, Priority Club
[QUOTE=flymexico2010;24315361] I refer hear mostly on the allowance to get 2 checked bags for free, because lounge access was never a problem to get just by flushing another gold card[\QUOTE]

I'm not sure flushing your gold card will get you lounge access, plus it will be tough to get it back after flushing it!
Old Feb 9, 2015, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Ups, I meant flashing
Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:11 am
Original Poster

As I thought, more and more flyers will be looking to change FFPs either after checkin or at the gate.

I saw many posts lately asking basically the same question, wheather benefits and miles FFP card can be changed at some point before travelling.

Very soon I will be also in the situation to change FFP so I will report back, and hopefully we can gather here experiences also from others and success in doing it.^
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:39 am

Reviving this from the dead. I am in the exact same situation. I just got my A3 *G last November, and with the new A3 rules it's only going to last 1 year. Re-qualification requirement also higher for A3. So I want to change to Asiana.

On my flight from YVR to IAH, I checked in online with my A3 *G status. Free Baggage and got Boarding Group 1. I got a mobile boarding pass, but also got a paper BP when I checked in my luggage. At the gate, I asked to change to my Asiana FFP#. The Gate Agent went ahead and do it but took my paper boarding pass and issued me a new one with Boarding Group 3 instead.

I asked about why I can't retain my benefits (priority boarding), with the same old but true argument that I already earned my status last year to use this year. Why do I have to keep contributing to A3 to keep using my rightfully earned benefits? Of course the argument was to no effect. I was even threatened that I could've been charged baggage fee again and he's just waiving it this time.

Is there any other elegant way of doing this to be able to put my miles to Asiana but also to use my rightfully earned benefits? I was thinking if I could've just boarded with my Mobile BP instead which at the time still showed Boarding Group 1 and Premier Access. Any clue if that'd work? Thanks!
Old Mar 26, 2015, 9:24 am
Original Poster

You mentioned an aspect I forgot to think of.

If in future I will have TK *G and UA *S I will just use TK*G to avoid the luggage fees and get the lounge access, while I will try to switch to UA*S to get the miles and E+ seating. I will just forget about priority boarding, because for me it will be the least important aspect out of these 4: luggage fees, lounge access, miles in FFP I want and priority boarding.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 2:25 pm

I also want Prio boarding because I often have hand-carry luggage which I need to fight overhead space for...

Any clue about using Mobile BP in place of the demoted paper BP?
Old Mar 27, 2015, 4:54 pm

On my return leg, got completely shutdown both at the IAH Terminal C lounge and at the Gate. This is such a sham. You can only use your already rightfully earned status only if you also put this year's miles also to the same program. They get you in the program, then pull the rug underneath your feet by upping the re-qualification requirements and not let you leave. This is totally anti-competitive behaviours.

I guess the only way is to leave the FFP# blank and just use the card everywhere (free baggage, lounge, priority boarding). Would this work?
Old Mar 28, 2015, 12:02 am

Programs: EB*G, A3*G, National EE
Originally Posted by BiscottiGelato
On my return leg, got completely shutdown both at the IAH Terminal C lounge and at the Gate.
I guess the only way is to leave the FFP# blank and just use the card everywhere (free baggage, lounge, priority boarding). Would this work?
I have similar experiences @ IAH during the last year, however did the same at EZE a few weeks ago with no issues. Gate agent called in supervisor as he found I was not entitled to credit to another program if i had used the lounge. However supervisor did not see the problem, and I had the number changed.

Have seen other post here on FT suggest, that there is, a Star alliance employee guide, that describes which are the guidelines. I have not checked it out my self. Have any of You?

With regards to the mobile BP with group 1 printed on it, suggest that you don't use it. When it was still possible to change ffp on united.com mid travel, i did it once. When I then boarded with group 1, the scanner would not accept my BP. The GA activated some "manual boarding" in the system and let me through. Still kind of annoying.

Leaving the space blank will not do you any good. At least not when flying UA. The first agent you get to, will add the no. to your itinerary, it will then stick, if not replaced again.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by cha211
Have seen other post here on FT suggest, that there is, a Star alliance employee guide, that describes which are the guidelines. I have not checked it out my self. Have any of You?
I guess you are talking about this post? But if I have to argue with them using these every time just to change FFP, that's a big PITA. Not to mention that they can still just say 'no is no'. After-all there's very little recourse on our part and they know it...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23225858-post158.html

I also heard people saying changing where the miles accrual goes after the flight somehow? I've never seen any details on how this can be done tho... Any insights?
Old Mar 28, 2015, 9:27 pm

Programs: EB*G, A3*G, National EE
Originally Posted by BiscottiGelato
I also heard people saying changing where the miles accrual goes after the flight somehow? I've never seen any details on how this can be done tho... Any insights?
I tried that once and it actually worked, I went to the arrival service at IAH after picking up my bag. However as you mention it is up to their mercy weather they actually want to process it, or they just say no is no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.