Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

RTW questions - paid business ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RTW questions - paid business ticket

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2014, 7:35 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by zap7
Can I upgrade single segments from a C RTW to F (just one or two overnight flights where it is worth it)?

I couldn't find this option in the *A RTW website booking tool.
Depends on the airline.

SQ would not let me pay to UG 1 segment unless the entire ticket was re-fared
from CRW to FRW.

LX has sold me on-board UG from C to F, and will also sell you one at the
gate ( cheaper to do on board).

UA segments can be upgraded with a GPU.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Depends on the airline.

from CRW to FRW.

I've had no problem upgrading single sq segments from c to f.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 7:01 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, from March 2015, UA flights will earn UA redeemable miles based on the underlying base fare, not distance. The question would be how a RTW fare is allocated among UA and partner segments for this purpose. One tentative answer is that DL tends to allocate fares that involve both DL and partner flights in a way that's proportional to distance. Using this analogy (and assuming that UA will copy what DL does here too), if the RTW involves 20% of the miles (actual distance of each segment or direct flight), then 20% of the RTW base fare would get the elite status multiplier to determine redeemable miles earned and all of the partner segments would earn according to UA's rules for earning on that operating carrier at the operating carrier's (equivalent) fare class.
I would guess RTW fare is allocated pro-rata, based on how SQ allocates earning for PPS status.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 7:16 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Depends on the airline.

from CRW to FRW.

Originally Posted by zrs70
You may be comparing apples and oranges. I suspect IluvSQ is referring to paid upgrades whereas zrs70 is referring to mileage upgrades.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 7:30 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
You may be comparing apples and oranges. I suspect IluvSQ is referring to paid upgrades whereas zrs70 is referring to mileage upgrades.
I think it's clear that there is no way to upgrade part of the itinerary at the time of booking an RTW, it's either FSTAR or CSTAR... Not a combination of both. But there is the opportunity to upgrade after the ticket has been issued. It's just another ticket where you might be able to upgrade based on the booking class for a leg and the upgrade instruments you might have.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by zrs70
On an CRWSTAR fare?

Which segment did you UG, and was it cash or some other method?
Krisflyer miles?

And was it to F ( old) , or R ( suites)?

Last edited by IluvSQ; Dec 31, 2014 at 12:20 pm
Old Dec 31, 2014, 6:16 pm

On an CRWSTAR fare?

Which segment did you UG, and was it cash or some other method?
Krisflyer miles?

And was it to F ( old) , or R ( suites)?
I have upgraded SQ from D to F on the 777 in the past using Aeroplan miles but it is nearly impossible in the long hauls now. I just upgraded On TG from BKK to NRT (C to F)on their 380 in November but had to use some of my UA miles as Aeroplan kept giving me avGeneral Technical Failure message and the agents could not get past it. These are all from CSTARRTW fares (which I book ex-NRT for the reasonable fares!) So the Star Alliance upgrade awards work but SQ does not release inventory across the oceans or long haul.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by ac777
I have upgraded SQ from D to F on the 777 in the past using Aeroplan miles but it is nearly impossible in the long hauls now. I just upgraded On TG from BKK to NRT (C to F)on their 380 in November but had to use some of my UA miles as Aeroplan kept giving me avGeneral Technical Failure message and the agents could not get past it. These are all from CSTARRTW fares (which I book ex-NRT for the reasonable fares!) So the Star Alliance upgrade awards work but SQ does not release inventory across the oceans or long haul.
Like you, I also buy my CRWSTAR's ex-NRT. And I have upgraded a few
flights to F with Star Alliance upgrades. And one with cash ( LX). And one with a gifted UA GPU. Just not ( in recent years) SQ.

I'm sure that if I wanted to, I could upgrade a SQ SIN-CGK flight with
Star Alliance UG, but no long hauls are available.

Bring back FEZSQ!!!
Old Jan 2, 2015, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Clarification...

Can SQ flights be upgraded to suites at all now with *A miles? Can they be upgraded at the saver level with SQ miles, or just at the standard level?
Old Jan 19, 2015, 12:33 pm

For what this is worth .. Singapore has their own RTW fare .. You'd be able to exit USA JFK - FRA or IAH - DME .. returning from HKG/TYO/ICN to west coast (or vice versa) .. It's only good on SQ/MI only .. Full mileage earning on UA as it is booked in D so 100% miles with 100% earning miles for status.

They also have a special fare that also adds NZ/VS into the mix also booked in D, but with a few more options) ..

SQ/MI only (without taxes and Q charges)
economy $2266
business $5299

Main drawback is max stay in 3 months

SQ/MI/VS/NZ
economy $3548
business $8200

Upside is this has the 12 month period and you can leave the return open. Both fares are quite a bit cheaper than the Star RTW ..

Though not Star Alliance mileage earning I was researching the other day and came across this Emirates/Air Tahiti airfare exiting Paris, with some pretty cool routes .. Though I'm sure taxes and Q charges are really going to add on quite a bit, you might want to have a look as this seems an amazing deal on Emirates in F .. The return from Tahiti and New Zealand routes via LAX so you could certainly buy a cheap LAX-BOS to get home .. or via the return on the DXB-BOS nonstop (or LHR - LAX if taking NZ) if you were traveling in the opposite direction ..

Fare:

Economy Class: EUR 1,799
Business Class: EUR 5,599
First Class: EUR 8,099
Fares are exclusive of tax and charges. Airport, local taxes and carrier-imposed charges apply. Terms & Conditions apply

Examples of possible routes:

Paris – Dubai – Singapore – Melbourne – Auckland – Papeete – Los Angeles – Paris
Paris – Dubai – Maldives – Colombo – Singapore – Auckland – Papeete – Paris
Nice – Dubai – Perth (Perth – Sydney route at your own expense) – Auckland – Papeete - Los Angeles – Paris
Paris – Los Angeles - Papeete – Auckland – Sydney – Bangkok – Dubai – Paris

details:
http://www.emirates.com/fr/english/o...he-world-offer

In regards to Palau .. We LOVED it .. we actually loved Peleliu even more, eating some of the best fish I've ever had (unicorn fish is amazing) .. I would go back in a heartbeat. I do not dive but the people we had dinner with could not stop talking about .. They actually did say it was the best they have ever seen. Tons of fish and tons of sharks .. It's a super small island, with fairly basic accommodations, but without all the tourists it just felt more like a remote vacation (PM me if you want details).

Again, just a few of my thoughts ...
Thanks,
David
Old Jan 23, 2015, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

thank you Travelboy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.