Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Eva versus Air China in Premium Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Eva versus Air China in Premium Economy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2015, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Premium economy is BKK-LAX is $1,000 on CA, $1,200 on Va. Both stop in Tapei.

Almost identical times.

Which should I choose based on the hard and soft product (like power outlets--I shall only work--no sleep).

Related question--United elite qualifying miles are very important to me.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 1:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by travelexpert

Almost identical times.

Which should I choose based on the hard and soft product (like power outlets--I shall only work--no sleep).

Since when did:
1) CA or VA have any stopovers in TPE?
2) VA start selling tickets on BKK-LAX (via Australia?)?
Old Mar 19, 2015, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by travelexpert

Almost identical times.

Are you talking about Air China (CA) or China Airlines (CI)?

For reference I flew Eva PE last month HKG-TPE-YVR.

Outbound to TPE we had an A330 I think so this was standard economy. I'm *G so at HKG we got access to the Virgin Clubhouse. Small lounge but very nice, table service dinner was a treat.

Nothing to write home about on the flight, standard economy seat.

Transit in TPE was super quick. Took something like 5 minutes if that. However walking to and from gates was a bit long (but not that major).

Layover in TPE was fine. Had access to the Eva lounge. As we were PE and using another airline *G, we only had access to one Eva lounge. Was fine, OK food, quite busy otherwise.

TPE-YVR was on a 747. The Eva PE seats were pretty decent. Good seat size and pitch, more than enough legroom at the front. One problem though, the media box did block up a chunk of the legroom. IFE was OK, small selection of movies and quite a small screen size compared to other PE products. Did however get noise cancelling earphones and a small amenity kit with Thaan products.

Food service was good, seems you got a bigger dinner and breakfast than economy. No champagne, but they did have sparkling wine.

One thing I didn't like (but my missus did), was the foot rest. I found it uncomfortable, but the missus found it good when she was sleeping. Also reclining is all manual, no electronics in the seat.

Return was pretty much the same, however for TPE-HKG we got PE seats, but it was standard economy service.

For us, going with AC PE v Eva PE with the TPE stopover, it was without a doubt worth it, as we pretty much saved the price of a ticket. I think the AC PE is marginally better (partly because its newer), but not worth the price difference.

Sorry, can't compare CA PE, as haven't flown with them and am not too keen on transiting in China due to delays.

Should add the Eva PE seats did have in seat power.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.