Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

First Class A380 Asiana vs. Thai Airway A380

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Sorry not sure what session to post this one.

Which one of the above would you recommend to take from North America to Korea? pros and cons. Many thanks!
Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:18 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Just from reading most trip reports it seems Thai is much more appreciated but i am sure someone who actually flew with Thai in first class would comment here soon.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I have not done OZ A380 but I have been on the same seat on the 777-200ER. What really annoyed my about OZ is they keep their planes really warm and the pillow provided is so small its almost useless. Good part is the suite doors that close. Nice big TV as well. The bathroom on OZ is not very grand compared to TG A380. OZ F is on the lower deck vs TG on top

Ive done TG A380 3 times and seat felt bigger to me but there are no doors that close. TV was big enough. Giant bathroom on upper deck and a lounge seating area is available. OZ has the same lounge but in J and i'm not sure if F can use as well or not. . More options for food pre-order than OZ. TG ground services are better but they are best experienced leaving Bangkok than coming in. Although TG service can be more of a hit and a miss. I dont recall any bad TG experiences.

Last edited by CDKing; Nov 24, 2014 at 5:37 pm
Old Nov 24, 2014, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Have not done the OZ A380 but have done the Suites on the 777 ex-JFK. I loved the Suites on OZ because they offer a high level of privacy with the sliding door. I found the food to be quite good and the TV in the Suite is fantastic.

I did the TG A380 NRT - BKK so I did not get the full meal service (aka no caviar). I thought the cushioning of the seat on TG was more comfortable than OZ but on the flip side it was a lot more open. TG ground services are a potential decider if you are departing ex-BKK.

The TR in my signature has pictures of the TG A380 and the Suite on the 777 so feel free to check that out.

FWIW if you are going to Korea ex-USA and wish to fly the TG A380, you would need to go via Europe as TG 693 (LAX - ICN) is currently operated by a 777 not an A380. However if the timing and routing works you could potentially combo (if using miles) LH F for TATL into FRA connecting to FRA - BKK and then BKK - ICN and snagging the TG A380 for FRA - BKK which is not a bad combo if you can swing it.

Otherwise - I'd stick with OZ from a purely practical standpoint and if you want to extend the length of time in F, perhaps route via JFK to get the longer Suites JFK - ICN or potentially see if NH F via ORD is available
Old Nov 25, 2014, 6:46 am

What are the differences in flight time, scheduling and pricing (points or cash?). That might make a difference. I'm not sure I would schedule a flight that had a connection if I could fly non-stop, even if it was the better plane.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by farbster
What are the differences in flight time, scheduling and pricing (points or cash?). That might make a difference. I'm not sure I would schedule a flight that had a connection if I could fly non-stop, even if it was the better plane.
A good question followed by a good point here. All things being equal in terms of cost, convenience, etc., I'd fly non-stop. In addition, based on this thread and a few other posts I've read, I'm under the impression that the Asiana A380 seats (in terms of privacy) and service are better than Thai. (I haven't flown Asiana F.)

That being said, and having flown Thai A380 F, it's also a very nice experience, though service (while generally very good) can be a bit inconsistent. The one way in which Thai F probably trumps Asiana is the F ground experience, which includes meeting you at the plane and a one-hour massage at the Thai Spa across the hall. I believe but am not certain that if you arrive on Thai in F that you get such treatment even if you're departing Thai in business (on to Seoul) in your case.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Since you're asking for comparisons of two Star Alliance airlines, let's try the dedicated alliance forum for further discussion. Please note that it may be subject to merging…

Thanks

~Moderator, Information Desk
Old Nov 25, 2014, 3:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Wow people are missing the ball here.

Thai does not fly the A380 from LAX to Korea. They currently utilize the 773ER on LAX-ICN. That aircraft has no first class, but does have lie-flats in business class. Note also that they have done quite a bit of aircraft swapping on that route, and you have no guarantee they won't switch it back to a non lie-flat.

Asiana overall has better food and service than TG, although if you're departing from BKK, the TG F experience is unsurpassed.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:05 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Kacee
Wow people are missing the ball here.

Thai does not fly the A380 from LAX to Korea. They currently utilize the 773ER on LAX-ICN. That aircraft has no first class, but does have lie-flats in business class. Note also that they have done quite a bit of aircraft swapping on that route, and you have no guarantee they won't switch it back to a non lie-flat.

Asiana overall has better food and service than TG, although if you're departing from BKK, the TG F experience is unsurpassed.
Yes, unless going the long way (via Europe and Bangkok).

TG F is an open suite whereas OZ F is a closed suite.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Yes, unless going the long way (via Europe and Bangkok).
You already know this, but to clarify for those who are not clear on your reference, TG does not fly from LAX to Europe. Nor does TG fly the 380 from BKK to ICN. So yes, you can fly the 380 from LHR, CDG, or FRA to BKK, but you can't reach ICN from LAX on a TG 380, regardless whether you fly west or east.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by Kacee
You already know this, but to clarify for those who are not clear on your reference, TG does not fly from LAX to Europe. Nor does TG fly the 380 from BKK to ICN. So yes, you can fly the 380 from LHR, CDG, or FRA to BKK, but you can't reach ICN from LAX on a TG 380, regardless whether you fly west or east.
TG does not fly their A380 metal LHR-BKK, that route is served 2x daily with 747's.

SunLover

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.