Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance RTW WAY easier than it had been...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2014, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Most of them

Just finished my 4th RTW but the prior ones were all 5+ years ago. They were all RTW 1st class and I didn't fly a single plane with a true 1st class...all "business" 1st. Well, some of them were more business than others (see http://2016spepresident.travellerspoint.com/) for details of the trip.

But the observation I am making is that although I couldn't get the online tool to do just what I wanted, the waiting time for the LH reps doing RTW service was minimal, they made the trip plenty easy and the five changes I made en route were easily handled.

The only complications came when I added an "around the Caspian and the Middle East" loop in the middle----that had to be done with another reservation but ultimately the RTW flight was so much easier than I remember. Am I just lucky? My previous trips all had at least one major calamity involving hours on the phone.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 7:49 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The last one I did (two years ago) was also easy. Non critical changes by e-mail and one short call for a change while on route.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 7:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold

Sounds like a great trip. RTWs have always intrigued me. Are they eye gougingly expensive?
Old Nov 14, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by avneeshj
Sounds like a great trip. RTWs have always intrigued me. Are they eye gougingly expensive?
I think it varies on your country of departure and also a few things have extra charges ($300-$500) for certain planes like the new SQ 773 or OZ A380s but in J it is about $10-12K and F $15-17k.

You can go to the *A site and build your trip and play around with it (kinda fun).
Old Nov 14, 2014, 9:21 am
Suspended

United charges 350,000 miles for a RTW award in business class. Seems expensive to me as you could cobble together several one-ways (let's say 4 x 80,000) and come out ahead.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
United charges 350,000 miles for a RTW award in business class. Seems expensive to me as you could cobble together several one-ways (let's say 4 x 80,000) and come out ahead.
It might surprise you but some people here actually pay money for RTWs in premium classes. The RTW awards are usually not a good deal, but the paid RTWs are a great deal if you can make use of the many stops and the very good availability.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Unterwegs
It might surprise you but some people here actually pay money for RTWs in premium classes. The RTW awards are usually not a good deal, but the paid RTWs are a great deal if you can make use of the many stops and the very good availability.
I would book a RTW but with PQDs for UA MP I don't have the flexibility giving away that many dollars not going to status.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 3:18 pm
Suspended

What is the typical fare for a RTW in business departing the USA?
Old Nov 14, 2014, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold
SQ had the best value several years ago. They had an RTW F fare (FEZSQ) that priced out at approx. $7300 (SFO777 did a couple of trips reports on his flights). I flew JFK/FRA//MUC/MAN//LHR//SIN/NRT/LAX. Too bad that fare doesn't exist anymore.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 7:12 pm

~10k
Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
~10k
The fare varies depending on the country where you start the RTW. Some asian Countries and South Africa are often significantly cheaper, especially when the local currency tanks and the price is in local currency and not in USD.
It is also valid for one year (from first flight) and changes (including routing) are relatively inexpensive. The main limitation is the number of miles total and a limit of 15 coupons.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:32 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

but the paid RTWs are a great deal if you can make use of the many stops and the very good availability.
They were.... but a lot less in the last 2 years. Prices have gone up substantially and booking classes (and therefore availability) have gone down. The great thing still is the flexibility, but in a lot of cases when flying fairly straightforward routes paid or award tickets are now an alternative.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 4:26 am

Programs: GS/1K, HHonors Diamond, 2.8M+ miles on UA, UA stockholder. Global Entry, Nexus. Air Travel Handbook.
I've made 21 round-the-world itineraries.
The last one was in 2 days: LAX to LAX.
See RTW2D.com
Old Nov 15, 2014, 6:43 am

The fare varies depending on the country where you start the RTW. Some asian Countries and South Africa are often significantly cheaper, especially when the local currency tanks and the price is in local currency and not in USD.
It is also valid for one year (from first flight) and changes (including routing) are relatively inexpensive. The main limitation is the number of miles total and a limit of 15 coupons.
The person had asked about from the US for a RTW. When I had played around making some trips that was the result I got baring other things like specific aircraft surcharges.

It's a pretty fun and interactive site: http://www.staralliance.com/en/booking/book-and-fly/#
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I would book a RTW but with PQDs for UA MP I don't have the flexibility giving away that many dollars not going to status.
You can call UA and ask for the RTW desk. They can book on 016 ticket stock, and you should get your PDQ's.

Depends on distance, but probably $11-14k. Starting in Japan/Korea would be $8-10k after taxes and airport fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.