Wiki Posts
Search

Star A Standards ?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2014, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Star A Standards ?

Just read a report on Air India' flight BOM EWR was cancelled on Fiday . Pax were boarded on time. It took four hours to declare that aircraft had gone technical / mechanical. There were no progress reports from crew. The crew disappeared before pax were off loaded!
Pax did not see any AI staff for hours. We're stuck in secure area airside.

Question is : What are Star A protocol a and or contingency plan recommendations ? Does the Alliance compile such info on members ?
I have not flown AI in decades. Thought with the Alliance membership pax handling would have improved. No luck. So still not on my list of airlines to fly.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 5:23 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

*A is a marketing alliance only.....
Old Nov 9, 2014, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RTW1
*A is a marketing alliance only.....
True, but one knows who you associate with reflects on your reputation.

BTW, was the delay in admitting AI was only issues with marketing ?
Old Nov 9, 2014, 7:39 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by HMPS
True, but one knows who you associate with reflects on your reputation.
Not for airlines in most peoples perception.... fly AI get AI treatment, nothing to do with for instance LH or SQ.
Be glad you can credit the miles to someone else, and if you don't like an airline don't fly it. No need to post about that, most of know what AI is.

Every alliance has members that are perceived to deliver different quality products. It's more about having worldwide coverage than anything else.

Last edited by RTW1; Nov 9, 2014 at 7:47 am
Old Nov 9, 2014, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Star A Standards ?

You chose to fly AI....
Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:09 am
Original Poster

Not for airlines in most peoples perception.... fly AI get AI treatment, nothing to do with for instance LH or SQ.
Be glad you can credit the miles to someone else, and if you don't like an airline don't fly it. No need to post about that, most of know what AI is.

Every alliance has members that are perceived to deliver different quality products. It's more about having worldwide coverage than anything else.
I am used to reading posts that inform, ask, suggest Etc on FT.
On a broader scale, marketers /companies pay close attention to with whom they are perceived to be representing. Not every airline can join and display an Alliance logo. Marketing 101.
So I fail to see the importance of your admonition re " don't use XYZ if you don.t like it."

Originally Posted by pduck01
You chose to fly AI....
I did. Not say I was on that flight. The " we're" was an auto correct for "were".. I stopped flying AI decades ago.

Last edited by HMPS; Nov 10, 2014 at 2:14 am
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:53 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Agreed. Does a thread like this make you think AI is not good enough to join Star Alliance? I recommend post #1150 onward.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Agreed. Does a thread like this make you think AI is not good enough to join Star Alliance? I recommend post #1150 onward.
I did not question AI s suitability to join an Alliance. Remember, AI had gone to e altar a couple of times and rejected. It was the Govt. That insisted it be inducted before any other Indian airline was inducted.
BTW, cancellations with similar patterns are not infrequent like once a ye. It has happened a few times.

To get back on topic, question was does Star A ( any other) have standards other than market coverage ?
Old Nov 12, 2014, 5:11 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
*A has quite a few standards and working groups. Their first aim is to provide a seamless travel experience, so checkin and lounge etc is covered, and during irreg *A partners can rebook onto each other without having to double check and get endorsements. So in the above AI case the ground staff could have rebooked the entire flight onto alternative *A flights.

They also have working groups that come together to discuss policy and prepare plan on how to help each other should one partner have incidents (crashes, 9/11 type situations etc).
Old Nov 14, 2014, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
*A has quite a few standards and working groups. Their first aim is to provide a seamless travel experience, so checkin and lounge etc is covered, and during irreg *A partners can rebook onto each other without having to double check and get endorsements. So in the above AI case the ground staff could have rebooked the entire flight onto alternative *A flights.

They also have working groups that come together to discuss policy and prepare plan on how to help each other should one partner have incidents (crashes, 9/11 type situations etc).
Thanks for the info.
It looks like AI has a long ways to go when dealing with IRROPS. Perhaps they can start with a Policy and Procedure manual along with a chai of command that allows on site senior most manger to take appropriate actions.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 5:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Perhaps they can. But, *A won't have anything to do with that. If AI cares, it can ask any one of dozens of other carriers if it can send some of it's people to observe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.