Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Confusion on securing award tickets. Need your help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confusion on securing award tickets. Need your help

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2014, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Red face Confusion on securing award tickets. Need your help

Hoping you can offer some direction to help me clear up some confusion on how to secure award tickets for a vacation to Europe next year.
I am hoping to secure business award tickets and have identified the following route/airlines that could get me to/from my destination.

Departure: JFK -> Frankfurt on Singapore airlines
Frankfurt -> Istanbul on Lufthansa
Return: Athens Greece -> Frankfurt on Lufthansa
Frankfurt -> JFK on Singapore airlines

I will assume availability of award flights for each of the 4 flights.

Questions:
Both airlines are members of the Star Alliance. My confusion is how to determine which airline I make my flight reservations with? Can I reserve both Lufthansa & Singapore flights thru Lufthansa or vise versa all the flights thru Singapore airlines?

Having miles/points with both Chase and SPG for transferring, any suggestions on what considerations I should take into account when determining which airline to make my reservations with?
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K Flyer
Singapore offers more availability through KrisFlyer than do A* partners, so you might be better off going that route. Keep in mind the reward chart for award partners: https://www.singaporeair.com/pdf/pps...Trip_Aug14.pdf
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:04 pm

You always make reservations with the airline you have your miles/points on. If you use United miles you need to make reservations with United (most likely you need to call since they don't show all seats online.
I recommend some reading on the forum of 'your' airline, there is a lot of information about how to find seats, what is blocked etc.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Jeff Rowland
That's not an assumption you want to make. Check availability before you transfer.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by claurianta2
Originally Posted by Jeff Rowland
That's not an assumption you want to make. Check availability before you transfer.
And the cost in miles/points and cash surcharges can be very different between freq flyer programs. Time for some detailed research

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.