Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

*Gold LAX transit for 7 hours

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2014, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,
I'm travelling on United UA99 from MEL-LAX in Nov arriving in at 6.50am my connecting flight to EWR (on UA) is not until 2.05pm, so i have around 7hours to burn in LAX. My question is what lounge will i be able to get access to have a shower, eat, rest until my next flight? is it difficult to get around LAX given the terminals of arrival/departure and lounge locations (have never been to LAX before, *Gold Aegean). or would it be better leaving the airport and heading into town for a couple of hours.
Any help would be great cheers. ^
Old Sep 26, 2014, 12:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
You will likely arrive in the TBIT. The *A lounge in TBIT is fantastic and has showers (and would be well worth clearing TBIT security on this length a layover). But your UA flight will depart from T7/8, which is a 15 minute walk or shuttle ride away. And there is no airside passage, so you will have to reclear security. There are no lounges with showers in the UA terminals, nor are the UA lounges particularly good.

I would plan to either spend my time in the *A lounge (leaving at least an hour to get to my UA gate) or head into Venice or Manhattan Beach for a few hours.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
If interested, a lot of folks enjoy a walk to a nearby In-N-Out Burger joint when on a layover at LAX. Fresh air and decent plane spotting, along with a classic burger experience.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-a...hreads-11.html

This is a very lengthy thread that started back in 2010, so you may wish to look at the last couple of pages for recent information.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 8:38 am

I Would also probably try to get on one of the many earlier LAX-EWR flights rather than spend 7 hours at LAX. Should be a free standby/SDC assuming it is all one ticket.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sbm12
Should be a free standby/SDC assuming it is all one ticket.
$75 unless OP is UA Gold or higher. Same Day Change
Old Sep 26, 2014, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
$75 unless OP is UA Gold or higher. Same Day Change
There is an exception to the rule whereby if you are on a single itinerary and at the connecting point it is free. Basically you can book the longer connection and SDC to the shorter one for free if you get in early. :-:
Old Sep 26, 2014, 12:44 pm

You will likely arrive in the TBIT. The *A lounge in TBIT is fantastic and has showers (and would be well worth clearing TBIT security on this length a layover). But your UA flight will depart from T7/8, which is a 15 minute walk or shuttle ride away. And there is no airside passage, so you will have to reclear security. There are no lounges with showers in the UA terminals, nor are the UA lounges particularly good.

I would plan to either spend my time in the *A lounge (leaving at least an hour to get to my UA gate) or head into Venice or Manhattan Beach for a few hours.
I don't think you can get into the TBIT lounge without a BP on a flight leaving from TBIT. After immigrations/customs you will be outside the secure area.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
I don't think you can get into the TBIT lounge without a BP on a flight leaving from TBIT. After immigrations/customs you will be outside the secure area.
I believe this is correct Unterwegs.

OP if you like to plane watch you can take the airport hotel shuttle to the Embassy Suites Hotel south in El Segundo. From there it is a 10 minute walk along E. Imperial Avenue to a park on a knoll overlooking the LAX airfield. Or you can take the Hacienda Hotel or Courtyard El Segundo shuttle to Sepulveda Blvd for some retail opportunities including Starbucks, 5 Guys, and El Pollo Loco. Both of these options are cheap and easy if you want to stretch your legs and kill a couple of hours; along of course with In-N-Out Burger.

That said - I would see if you could change to an earlier LAX-EWR flight when checking in at MEL.

SunLover
Old Sep 26, 2014, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Unterwegs
Originally Posted by SunLover
I believe this is correct Unterwegs.

SunLover
This is 100% wrong.

You may enter any terminal at LAX with a valid same-day boarding pass. LAX Tweet Confirms All Terminal Access
Old Sep 26, 2014, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
There is an exception to the rule whereby if you are on a single itinerary and at the connecting point it is free. Basically you can book the longer connection and SDC to the shorter one for free if you get in early. :-:
Do you have to use the kiosk for that?
Old Sep 26, 2014, 6:23 pm

Do you have to use the kiosk for that?
Not that I'm aware of. The specific GG code reference with the details is in the UA forum.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

thanks for your help guys, i never thought about changing the second flight..just figure UA had pretty tight rules.
Ill give TBIT a shot at the lounge and do some plane spotting if ive got time!.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: IC Royal Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond
Is there a thread for lounge access meet up thread that isn't specific to one airline? I'm looking for a guest access to the *A lounge in LAX but having trouble finding them/keep track of all the carrier ones?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.