Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Any *Gold Elite Benefits on Austrian or Air Canada?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any *Gold Elite Benefits on Austrian or Air Canada?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2014, 2:00 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
For the most part I see a constant devalued experience within the Star Alliance. Even as a 1K or star gold, you don't get access to premium seats. I can understand not upgrades I suppose, but not even seats near front of cabin ?. Bags is usually an argument, lounge is an argument without the card (despite Star Gold all over the ticket etc).
Old Sep 25, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA MP Gold, 1MM, Global Entry
Originally Posted by emcampbe
To make things even more confusing, if the itinerary starts or ends in the U.S., the allowance is based on that of the carrier marketing the first segment, and that applies for the entire itinerary. However, if the trip is outside of the US (or only connecting through the US) IATA Most significant carrier rules apply. On a TATL, that means a short hop on carrier 1 connecting to a TATL on carrier 2 would get the latter allowance (if origin or destination is not US). IATA also is based on direction, so to speak, so an outbound and return could have different allowances based on the MSC in each direction.
Now I get it... I attempted to use the most significant carrier rules for baggage allowance on a LH flight from the middle east through FRA onward via UA to IAH and they would not let me, saying LH rules apply. Now I know that is not so if ending in USA. Good to know! Thanks.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
For the most part I see a constant devalued experience within the Star Alliance. Even as a 1K or star gold, you don't get access to premium seats. I can understand not upgrades I suppose, but not even seats near front of cabin ?. Bags is usually an argument, lounge is an argument without the card (despite Star Gold all over the ticket etc).
YMMV, I guess. But this is not my experience. I spent most of this year based in BOM, and so flew many *carriers - LH, TK, TG, SQ, LX, AC and even AI after they joined, in addition to UA. Seating is different with everyone I guess, but LH gave us seats near the front of Y and I'm not 100% sure but suspect they blocked the seat next to my wife and I since it was one of the few open seats MUC-BOM. TG definitely gave us seats near the front in advance that were blocked (not sure if it was status or fare class, though). I've never had to argue for baggage allowance (and brought 5 bags, most of which were 50-70 pounds on LH, though with an itin that started in the US with a UA TATL, then a stopover in LHR, so they were going on UA allowance). Certainly for the most part, I haven't been asked for a card for lounge access at all - I might have been asked at SIN with SQ once, but if, that was the only time. Even AI was on top of things when I flew them in August, barely a month after they joined. No matter who I flew, always proactively got priority bag tags and a lounge invitation at BOM - I never once even had to ask. I know this might not reflect everyone's experience, but the alliance has been excellent for me this year.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
YMMV, I guess. But this is not my experience.
I have to say, I've found pretty consistent treatment as a *G across the network. Many airlines are in the process of monetizing seating to increase ancillary revenue. AC and LH are recently moving to the game with AC going all the way to installing a United E+ style product. I think what you're seeing is airlines devaluing their own memberships a bit.

Personally, I fly AC and LH rather frequently, and I've always been extended luggage and lounge benefits without hesitation. Seating has been a bit more complicated as these programs have been in flux, but I've at times been successful in getting nicer seats by asking nicely.

Sometimes my treatment on partners has been even better. LH is the only airline where a flight attendant has recognized *G in couch. It happened twice, and both times the purser came by, thanked me for being gold, and asked if she could get me anything. Pretty impressive!
Old Sep 27, 2014, 3:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by astroflyer
Just to be clear, this has all changed in the last month or two.
Sad to hear. I got front-of-the-cabin seating when I booked an award ticket about a month or so ago.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Sad to hear. I got front-of-the-cabin seating when I booked an award ticket about a month or so ago.
Actually what's completely infuriating is that you can't even select a free seat on the web if you didn't book on the Air Canada website. So United paid or award codeshares require calling in. Calling in to Air Canada without status requires 1-2 hours of time. The way there software is now, you can't even pay for a premium seat if you want to if you booked elsewhere.

Any time you think United IT is bad, AC is even worse.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually what's completely infuriating is that you can't even select a free seat on the web if you didn't book on the Air Canada website. So United paid or award codeshares require calling in. Calling in to Air Canada without status requires 1-2 hours of time. The way there software is now, you can't even pay for a premium seat if you want to if you booked elsewhere.

Any time you think United IT is bad, AC is even worse.
To be fair, the AC can't select a seat on the website if booked anywhere else issue has been going on a long time. And isn't limited to UA purchases or codeshares - its anytime you book anywhere other than AC.com, including on AC-marketed and operated flights. In fact, I think even those booking Aeroplan awards can't select a seat on the AC site.

They were supposed to be fixing it so that you could do at least the free seat selections on the website when booked elsewhere. But even when booked as true AC flights, I could never get it to work.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 11:53 am

To be fair, the AC can't select a seat on the website if booked anywhere else issue has been going on a long time.
Right, I'm very familiar with this issue having moved to Canada as a UA flyer

The ability to select seats online has been "coming soon" and supposedly going to implemented as soon as "Summer 2013" for a long time.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The ability to select seats online has been "coming soon" and supposedly going to implemented as soon as "Summer 2013" for a long time.
I understand. Which is why I mentioned it was supposed to be fixed, but I could never get it to work. I'll expect it to be fixed at about the time, when, as a non-elite on AC, I can get a hold time on ACs reservation line of say, less than 45 minutes (which, according to the AC forum, is another "coming soon" AC project).
Old Sep 28, 2014, 5:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Calling in to Air Canada without status requires 1-2 hours of time.
When the callback system is working, it's a good option. Otherwise, it really doesn't take that much physical time. If they say 35 to 45 minutes (which I find to be typical), I just leave the phone until about the 30 minute mark, then put on the speakerphone until they pick up. So the actual time investment is minimal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.