Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

CDG / Star alliance lounge / transfer terminal questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2014, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Hi:

(Apologies if this was posted in the wrong sub-forum, I'm still a huge newb at FT)

I'm flying out of CDG tomorrow on an international flight to the US. I have free lounge access as I am Star Alliance Gold (via United) and am ticketed internationally.

A friend who is not ticketed on a Star Alliance flight, but is flying from CDG to Greece later the same day is heading to the airport with me.

A few questions:

1.) Will it be possible for her to enter the lounge as my guest even though she is not ticketed on a Star Alliance flight?

2.) The lounge is in Terminal 1 of CDG. Her flight leaves from Terminal 2F. Will security even allow her to enter Terminal 1 of CDG given that her ticket will probably say Terminal 2 on it?

3.) Can she walk from Terminal 1 over to Terminal 2F without having to leave and re-enter security?

Thanks!

Last edited by arandomtraveler; Sep 19, 2014 at 5:42 pm Reason: Realized I probably posted this in the wrong sub-forum (sorry)
Old Sep 19, 2014, 6:09 pm

Guests need to be ticketed on a Star Alliance flight.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
1. No, your friend will not be permitted to enter the Star Alliance lounge.

2. Your friend should be able to enter Terminal 1, but will need to clear immigration as your flight is non-Schengen. She will need to re-clear immigration back to Schengen at T1 or T2F if she continues to Greece.

3. Security at T1 is done by the boarding gates. I'm not sure what the procedure is at T2F.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 6:49 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I'm going to move this to our Star Alliance forum where our members who frequently contribute there will be of assistance.

l'etoile
UA moderator
Old Sep 20, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: United Gold

Just a note to you to be careful about dwelling at the lounge. When we took our cdg-ewr flight in July, the secondary screening at the gate had only 1 'line' for 3 wide body flights. We were told that is normal. It was a real crunch at the end and while no one missed their flight it was stressful and annoying. We were just ahead of a group of 10-ish elites who had come from the lounge only to see the nightmare there. No special line for business class, GS, etc.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 10:45 pm

In addition to what hirohito888 wrote, terminal 1 is about 3 km away from terminal 2F. No way to walk, you take this small "train" (GDGval) that also serves, hotels, regular train (RER), parking lots, you name it. In other words, forget it!
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by hscottm
Just a note to you to be careful about dwelling at the lounge. When we took our cdg-ewr flight in July, the secondary screening at the gate had only 1 'line' for 3 wide body flights. We were told that is normal. It was a real crunch at the end and while no one missed their flight it was stressful and annoying. We were just ahead of a group of 10-ish elites who had come from the lounge only to see the nightmare there. No special line for business class, GS, etc.
There is a special line, but it's rather discreet and you probably missed it. Look for the gated entrance with a boarding pass reader, and simply scan your BP. Premium class passengers, Premiers, GS, etc. all get to cut the line. The same applies at immigration.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 11:53 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
Flying Edelweiss / Swiss on Jan 1 from CDG-ZRH. I am *G.

I've been in the Star Alliance Lounge before security. Are any of the other SA lounges reachable from my gate? I'd like to try another lounge, if possible.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by captain_starwood
Flying Edelweiss / Swiss on Jan 1 from CDG-ZRH. I am *G.

I've been in the Star Alliance Lounge before security. Are any of the other SA lounges reachable from my gate? I'd like to try another lounge, if possible.
Yes, the Lufthansa Business and Senator Lounges. They're both underground and in many ways not as nice as the Star Alliance lounge, however they are MUCH closer to the gates, and inside security. Plus they can be quieter and there's an okay buffet spread although YMMV. I do like the Star Alliance lounge but I hate having to leave early to go through security. The Lufthansa lounges are a better choice in your case imo.

More details at:
https://loungereview.com/lounges/luf...ss-lounge-cdg/
https://loungereview.com/lounges/luf...or-lounge-cdg/

(Full disclosure: I contribute to loungereview.com, and feedback is always welcome.)
Old Oct 23, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
Lounge Access

I've only ever used the Star Alliance Lounge, and it's a 10am flight to ZRH on New Years Day, so I'd rather show up at the airport later try the LH lounges. Is there any substantive difference between the two? I found the LH dual lounge system to be very strange because the lounges often seem to offer identical benefits.

Originally Posted by Pat+
Yes, the Lufthansa Business and Senator Lounges. They're both underground and in many ways not as nice as the Star Alliance lounge, however they are MUCH closer to the gates, and inside security. Plus they can be quieter and there's an okay buffet spread although YMMV. I do like the Star Alliance lounge but I hate having to leave early to go through security. The Lufthansa lounges are a better choice in your case imo.

More details at:
https://loungereview.com/lounges/luf...ss-lounge-cdg/
https://loungereview.com/lounges/luf...or-lounge-cdg/

(Full disclosure: I contribute to loungereview.com, and feedback is always welcome.)
Old Oct 20, 2016, 12:36 pm

Wasn't sure if I should resurrect a 1-year old thread or post a new one with the same exact needs/titles/questions. I opted for option A.

Going to fly: IAD > CDG > ZRH

We arrive at CDG on UA at 6:00 AM.
We depart CDG on Swiss at 10:00 AM.

My lounge access is based on UA Club membership, which grants permission to any Star Alliance Lounge and *A carrier with a business class lounge -- worked great in Asia at China Air and ANA lounges.

I believe I'll arrive and depart out of Terminal 1, though I know I'll go through immigration/customs on our arrival. I also realize that the Star Alliance lounge is pre-security ... and the gate security is a bit of a Charlie Foxtrot (though I've not personally gone through CDG before)

I was thinking of hitting the Star Alliance lounge so that I could take a shower. Can I go to both the Star Alliance lounge and then the LH Business lounge which is post-security, or can I only do one lounge on a given ticket/BP?

Thanks.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by 67L48
Going to fly: IAD > CDG > ZRH

I was thinking of hitting the Star Alliance lounge so that I could take a shower. Can I go to both the Star Alliance lounge and then the LH Business lounge which is post-security, or can I only do one lounge on a given ticket/BP?
You can go to as many lounges as you want. There's not much of a point in hitting the LH lounge, frankly, but if your flight is delayed then it gives you a chance to wait in a comfortable environment post security.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 2:22 pm

I'll just follow up here.

So, I landed at CDG and, without thinking, I proceeded to my gate ... through security. Once I was on the other side, I realized my error. But, I couldn't figure out how to get back out of the security side. I *think* you just proceed through a gate and walk out ... but the walking through the glass/plastic doors through an empty gate seemed wrong to me.

Anyway, went down the LH lounge. She denied me access with my United Club Card + LX (Swiss) boarding pass. Told me that I needed to be on an LH flight to get in with my Club Card and referred me to the *A lounge. I asked how to get out of the gates and had no issues, really. Then, after explaining how to get out, she invited me into the Lounge and ran some sort of exception for me.

The LH lounge in Gate area 60-68 was a dungeon. Small and I felt like I was in a WWII bunker interrogation room. OK, maybe not that bad. But, I'm not a lounge snob. I'm one of the 0.1% who actually likes the modern United Club Lounges! This one was not good, though it had a decent continental breakfast.

Cheers.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 2:21 pm

On the way back home, I went through the *A lounge in CDG. Very nice, lots of food options, clean, and plenty of seating. I didn't take advantage of the showers or other amenities.

Both coming and going, I found the process of going from Terminal 1 to the actual gates took around 5 minutes. Everything I read online stated 45-60 min. That was definitely not my experience.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Anyone transferred in CDG TG to LH? I am arriving TG F and departing LH C to FRA.

Any transfer information or lounge advice would be appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.