Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

NA to Japan on *A, any 747s still flying with F class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2014, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Miles and More

I would like to fly a one-way segment from NA west coast to KIX or ITA. Dont care about the routing, just would like a decent First Class experience on a 747.
Oh maybe care a little, prefer some carrier that flies to YVR or SEA.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 3:28 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
UA has 747 SFO-SEL, and LAX-TPE ( they may have other routes).
But decent First Class experience and UA do not go hand in hand.

Going the other way, lots of choices with LH: YVR-FRA-KIX both flights
in 744.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Thanks for that.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
UA flies 747 from SFO to NRT. But as stated, UA and a good F experience, well .......
Old Sep 19, 2014, 1:24 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Going the other way, lots of choices with LH: YVR-FRA-KIX both flights in 744.
FRA-KIX on LH is now a two-class service on the 744 with seats on the upper deck being sold to Business pax for $700 or €500.

If you want to experience LH F on the 744 you had better hurry since all remaining 744 aircraft will be converted into two-class (actually three-class: business, premium economy and economy) aircraft in the coming year.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 4:04 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Quote:

If you want to experience LH F on the 744 you had better hurry since all remaining 744 aircraft will be converted into two-class (actually three-class: business, premium economy and economy) aircraft in the coming year.
A sad time in aviation history.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

I was hoping to go to asia the short way but maybe a trip to Europe is in order, I understand though it is hard to get LH First on Aeorplan rewards?
Old Sep 19, 2014, 9:22 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by Kansaigaijin
I would like to fly a one-way segment from NA west coast to KIX or ITA. Dont care about the routing, just would like a decent First Class experience on a 747.
Oh maybe care a little, prefer some carrier that flies to YVR or SEA.
ITA airport is not in Japan... Perhaps you meant ITM -- but ITM is a purely domestic airport.

Also, few carriers fly nonstop from the US to KIX -- you'll have to route through NRT/HND or elsewhere in Asia. What is your budget and/or means of purchasing (cash or miles)?
Old Sep 19, 2014, 9:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The obvious airlines to check first would be JAL and ANA. They're most likely to go nonstop TPAC into KIX or, alternatively, to fly (most likely from HND) into ITM, which is Osaka's old airport, now used for domestic flights. Of course, you'd be looking for the 747s TPAC only, although I once was rebooked onto a coach-only domestic JAL segment from ITM to HND on JAL (and the aircraft interior wasn't divided into compartments but rather, was a huge open area filled with coach seats) in a blizzard.

DL has uses lots of 747s across the Pacific, mostly into NRT. However, IIRC DL does still fly into KIX, perhaps on the same route as MNL, which I think is currently a 747.

KE has some FC service from the USA (and maybe Canada too?) to ICN, where you could connect easily to KIX. Some of the flights are A380s but I think some are still 747s too. There might be something from SEA or YVR.

Look generally at Asian carriers that offer FC and fly some 747s. Sadly SQ got rid of their last 747s about three or four years ago, but TG might work through BKK to KIX, CX through HKG, OZ through ICN, Eva or China Airlines through TPE, etc. I doubt that the Chinese carriers have 747s, but I don't know; I think they generally have newer planes (such as the A380) for their TPAC routes, although Air China might be an exception. MH doesn't fly TPAC any more.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Sep 19, 2014 at 9:50 pm
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:51 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The obvious airlines to check first would be JAL and ANA. They're most likely to go nonstop TPAC into KIX or, alternatively, to fly (most likely from HND) into ITM, which is Osaka's old airport, now used for domestic flights. Of course, you'd be looking for the 747s TPAC only, although I once was rebooked onto a coach-only domestic JAL segment from ITM to HND on JAL (and the aircraft interior wasn't divided into compartments but rather, was a huge open area filled with coach seats) in a blizzard.
... are you talking about???? Neither NH nor JL flies a 747, period.

UA is the only *A carrier that flies a 747 nonstop from North America to Japan. UA also flies a two class 788 SFO-KIX.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 12:21 am

UA has 747 SFO-SEL, and LAX-TPE ( they may have other routes).
UA doesn't fly LAX-TPE; they fly SFO-TPE but it is on the 777-200.

Export from Wandering Aramean Travel Tools
Code:
Flight Timetable -- SFO-TPE for date: 20140930 at 00:00 on All Airlines
Carrier|Flight|From |To   |Dep. Time|Arr. Time|Schedule|Equipment|Duration|Exceptions|
UA     |871   |SFO  |TPE  |13:55    |18:30+1  |1234567 |777      |13:35   |          |