Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Booking multi city one-way flights with Air NZ

Old Aug 22, 2014, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Hi guys,

Apologies if this has been asked before.

I'm trying to book some one-way flights with Air New Zealand in January 2015 for a major trip. Unfortunately, their website's international multi-city booking feature is crap (excuse my French).

I'm trying to book these legs:

January 7: BNE to ZQN
January 10: ZQN to WLG
January 14: AKL to PPT

(From WLG to AKL I can get a better deal with Jetstar)

All of them are operated by Air NZ on the dates in question.

I couldn't figure out how to use Air NZ's own website (without doing 3 seperate bookings) since the origin city is different from the destination. In my experience, even if you book one-way flights, it's usually cheaper if you book them together than seperately.

Is there a website for booking multi-city one-way flights within the Star Alliance?

I tried united.com's website since I'm a member of their frequent flier programme, but it couldn't find the flights. I will probably never fly Air NZ again, so signing up for their frequent flyer programme doesn't make much sense.

I also tried using a site like momondo.com but it gives me a ridiculous price if I do a search for all three legs. Seperately, I've found a price of approx. $1,000 for the three flights all together. But like I said, I figure I can get a better price if I book them together somehow instead of in 3 orders? And it would be great to get the miles..

Thanks!
Old Aug 23, 2014, 5:40 am

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
For Air New Zealand shorthaul flights (including most Australia and Pacific Island flights), booking flights as individual one ways will cost the same. The only time that this is a disadvantage is when there are specific sale fares that only apply to round trip flights... but that wouldn't help you on a multi-city itinerary anyway.

However, AKL-PPT is in some ways treated as a long haul, so that may not be the case here... Have you tried using a third party site like kayak or expedia?
Old Aug 23, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Three tickets will have to be it I believe.

I don't think a BNE-PPT fare will allow you to travel via ZQN and WLG with a surface sector to Auckland...
Old Aug 24, 2014, 1:00 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Fare rules do not allow routing BNE to WLG via ZQN so separate tickets will cost the same as constructed ones.

You should however check WLG-AKL-PPT. You might get a far similar to AKL-PPT.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Ok, thanks for the advice and good tips!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.