Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Baggage Policy on Swiss/UA Code Share

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage Policy on Swiss/UA Code Share

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2014, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by geclub1
So the question for OP is what exactly the end result OP wants to achieve. It may just be huge efforts for nothing.
The end state goal is (b) 1K is 3 bags 32kg per PAX so 12 bags at 32KG each.

Also, (c) is different in case of flights between US and India

Flights commencing in India to the USA and can be found here
2 x 23 kg
Flights commencing in the USA to India4
2 x 23 kg

Hence (d) should change to 3x23kg (*G member) + 2x23kg for the remaining 3 PAX

Also, I did manage to get the UA number on the receipt but that hasn't yet translated to the 1K benefit reflecting on united.com
Old Aug 21, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by hewsux

Also, I did manage to get the UA number on the receipt but that hasn't yet translated to the 1K benefit reflecting on united.com
What is with this obsession about what united.com shows? It has nothing to do with anything. Stop calling United. Stop expecting the website to show you different things.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam1222
What is with this obsession about what united.com shows? It has nothing to do with anything. Stop calling United. Stop expecting the website to show you different things.
Sorry, no obsession. I was trying to get some documentary evidence about my baggage allowance to avoid issues at the airport. I am going let this sit for a while and hopefully won't have issues at check-in.

I was just going off how my other itin's update as shown below
Old Aug 21, 2014, 3:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Kacee
That is not completely correct. IATA Resolution 302 goes on to state that "In case of code share flights [Marketing Carrier] will be the Operating Carrier, unless that carrier publishes a rule stipulating that it will be the Marketing Carrier."

That's why I say the rule is ultimately contradictory, and basically allows the marketing carrier to do whatever it likes.

OP, I would count on two bags at 23kg each (economy allowance + *G allowance). Anything beyond that there's a good chance they will charge you for it.
Under every existing federal or state consumer statute I can think of, UA is the marketing carrier. The ticket says UA and the flight number is UA. It walks and talks like a duck, so it's a UA. A reasonable consumer without specialized knowledge would think so.

IATA is a generally well-intentioned industry trade group. But, I don't see what it refers to as a "rule" being afforded any weight by DOT in a determination by DOT of what it's own rule means.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Sorry, no obsession. I was trying to get some documentary evidence about my baggage allowance to avoid issues at the airport. I am going let this sit for a while and hopefully won't have issues at check-in.

Just call UA.

Isn't that the pretty standard thing to do?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 3:42 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
The end state goal is (b) 1K is 3 bags 32kg per PAX so 12 bags at 32KG each.

Also, (c) is different in case of flights between US and India

Flights commencing in India to the USA and can be found here
2 x 23 kg
Flights commencing in the USA to India4
2 x 23 kg

Hence (d) should change to 3x23kg (*G member) + 2x23kg for the remaining 3 PAX

I stand corrected on the regular Swiss allowance.

I think your baseline is, as you mentioned,
3x23kg for 1 *G + 2x23kg for other 3 PAX.

You may be able to get more by flashing your UA 1K card and your best smile. Maybe together with a printout from Ua.com showing 3x32kg.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Often1

Just call UA.

Isn't that the pretty standard thing to do?
He already has called. Multiple times. And gotten a notation in his record. And been told he'll get a refund if he has to pay fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.