Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

*A lounges at SJC San Jose, CA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2014, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold

Will be arriving at SJC in Nov. from ANA 172 in J class, connecting on to UA 6242 in F. Are there any *A lounges that can be used as both an arrivals and departures lounge? Any place to take a shower after the long int'l flight? I have a 3 hour connection at SJC.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by susiesan
Will be arriving at SJC in Nov. from ANA 172 in J class, connecting on to UA 6242 in F. Are there any *A lounges that can be used as both an arrivals and departures lounge? Any place to take a shower after the long int'l flight? I have a 3 hour connection at SJC.
No *A lounge at SJC, as it is a tiny little airport with UA only has a handful of flights.

NH use The Club@SJC, which is a 3rd party lounge and only for departing NH pax only. (NH has no lounge access for arrival pax except NRT and HND)

If lounge access is that important to you, fly to SFO instead, but you still need to be *G to access any lounge domestically, not unless you are arriving on UA metal not NH.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
No *A lounge at SJC, as it is a tiny little airport with UA only has a handful of flights.

NH use The Club@SJC, which is a 3rd party lounge and only for departing NH pax only. (NH has no lounge access for arrival pax except NRT and HND)

If lounge access is that important to you, fly to SFO instead, but you still need to be *G to access any lounge domestically, not unless you are arriving on UA metal not NH.
These are award tix from UA booked months ago. So not an easy thing to change. No award seats on anything coming out of NRT to US on Nov. 18. And we have to get to MCI, final destination.

When originally booked there was only 1 hour at SJC but UA changed our connecting flight to 3 hours later hence the long layover.

I do have UA lounge passes to use where there are lounges.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

These are award tix from UA booked months ago. So not an easy thing to change. No award seats on anything coming out of NRT to US on Nov. 18. And we have to get to MCI, final destination.

When originally booked there was only 1 hour at SJC but UA changed our connecting flight to 3 hours later hence the long layover.

I do have UA lounge passes to use where there are lounges.
This is just August, you still have 3 months to go, keep checking to see anything open up.

Unfortunately UA lounge pass only good at UA lounge but nowhere else.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I have been checking the UA award calendar daily. I do want to stay with ANA flights to try them ou. Ideally, the flight to ORD would be best but no avail for 2 January seats.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Seems like you can buy a one time pass to The Club at SJC

It has shower facilities.
http://www.theclubairportlounges.com/club-SJC.html

http://www.theclubairportlounges.com...ge-access.html
"Whether you’re traveling for business or leisure, our lounges offer access to ALL passengers. “The Club at” lounges don’t require an annual membership fee. Passengers just need to purchase a day pass at the reception desk. "
Old Aug 19, 2014, 8:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Double posting is against FT rules.

Same answers have been provided in response to OP's post in the UA forum. SJC Future United Club
Old Aug 20, 2014, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

This is just August, you still have 3 months to go, keep checking to see anything open up.
Thought I'd call UA and see what I could do to rearrange the flights from NRT to MCI. Even though the award calendar showed nothing in J class on Nov. 18 the agent was able to rebook us on UA 138 NRT-DEN and UA 5524 DEN-MCI. Total travel time 14h15m.

We now have a 2 hour layover at Denver and get home 5 hours earlier.
The agent said he was able to override the award calendar because there had been 3 schedule changes since the tickets were booked.

I did want to try ANA as I've never flown them before. But I'd rather have a shorter journey home with 2 flight segments instead of 3.

Since I'm flying in J on UA, a *A partner, will I be able to use the ANA lounge at NRT?
Old Aug 20, 2014, 2:33 pm

You will be able to use the NH Lounge or United Club at NRT as you have a Business Class seat on a *A carrier.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
You will be able to use the NH Lounge or United Club at NRT as you have a Business Class seat on a *A carrier.
Sugoi ne! Looking forward to the sake bar and a big bowl of kitsune udon for dinner.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 2:41 pm

And if the UA Dreamliner breaks down you'll have even more time to enjoy!
Old Aug 20, 2014, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
And if the UA Dreamliner breaks down you'll have even more time to enjoy!
Hey, getting to spend an extra day in Japan on UA's nickel wouldn't bother me in the least.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did want to try ANA as I've never flown them before. But I'd rather have a shorter journey home with 2 flight segments instead of 3.
I would have kept the NH NRT-SJC and wait for NH NRT-SFO/LAX to open up, as like I said before, you are not travelling til 3 months later, and if showers are that important to you, then I would do UA NRT-SFO, then you get to use the Arrivals by United in SFO.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 7:33 am
Original Poster

I would have kept the NH NRT-SJC and wait for NH NRT-SFO/LAX to open up, as like I said before, you are not travelling til 3 months later, and if showers are that important to you, then I would do UA NRT-SFO, then you get to use the Arrivals by United in SFO.
But I still have to get back to Kansas City and would have needed that segment to open up. I'll be able to shower in the NH or UA lounge at NRT and again in Denver. A shower is important but nit hte number one criteria in determining flights. least connections/shortest travel time is number 1.

My first choice in flights would have been NH to ORD then on to MCI, but I've not seen availability ever for the afternoon NH flight in the last 7 months.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But I still have to get back to Kansas City and would have needed that segment to open up. I'll be able to shower in the NH or UA lounge at NRT and again in Denver. A shower is important but nit hte number one criteria in determining flights. least connections/shortest travel time is number 1.

My first choice in flights would have been NH to ORD then on to MCI, but I've not seen availability ever for the afternoon NH flight in the last 7 months.
There are no showers in the UA lounge in DEN, hence the reason of my suggestion. In a matter of fact, very few UA lounges have showers at all.

You are looking too far ahead, that's why you can't see all the availability, look again at the beginning of October then you will see more open up. Whenever I book any awards, I always only start looking 2 months out and won't book anything til a month or less time, so usually it is pretty easy for me to get what I want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.