Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Complaint~ Lounge Access (Star Alliance) Denied - Eva flight in Chitose Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle

I had an recent travel from Taipei to New Chitose Airport (Hokkaidō, Japan), booked on Award Travel through United. On my way back from my wonderful trip, I checked in at New Chitose Airport for my Eva Air flight back to Taipei. I was booked in Business/First and the check-in counter told me about lounge access and $15 voucher for food.

The counter lady (and another staff [looked like a manager]) confirmed that I can use the voucher to eat at their food court ($15). Then I can take the voucher and enter the Lounge. They both said that this was possible because their lounge did not have hot food available.

After ordering the food, the lady at the counter took my vouchers and did not want to give them back to me. The communication between the food staff was a horror because non of them spoke or understand proper english. She brought me to the lounge to ask about lounge access and the lounge denied my access because I used the voucher for food.

I was shocked at this matter because I'm United 1K, and was travelling with lifetime 1K flyers (also holders of Star Alliance Gold Cards). We have never been denied lounge access before. Also we asked 2 times about the access and the use of the voucher.

New Chitose Airport sent an EVA Ground Staff who was extremely rude and started yelling at us and told us we did not understand their terms.

Where could I go to submit a complaint with Star Alliance regarding this issue?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by twkidM3
....Where could I go to submit a complaint with Star Alliance regarding this issue?
Not an UA issue.

My first route would be to the airline operating the lounge.
There may be a path via *A, so I moved your thread to *A forum to see what input they can provide.

Does sound like it was badly handled but expecting great English among food court workers {likely min wage level} is probably unrealistic -- even in many domestic USA airports.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
I had an recent travel from Taipei to New Chitose Airport (Hokkaidō, Japan), booked on Award Travel through United. On my way back from my wonderful trip, I checked in at New Chitose Airport for my Eva Air flight back to Taipei. I was booked in Business/First and the check-in counter told me about lounge access and $15 voucher for food.

The counter lady (and another staff [looked like a manager]) confirmed that I can use the voucher to eat at their food court ($15). Then I can take the voucher and enter the Lounge. They both said that this was possible because their lounge did not have hot food available.

After ordering the food, the lady at the counter took my vouchers and did not want to give them back to me. The communication between the food staff was a horror because non of them spoke or understand proper english. She brought me to the lounge to ask about lounge access and the lounge denied my access because I used the voucher for food.
I believe it is either or, not both, not unless at checkin they give you one voucher of $15 and a lounge invite. (as since the int'l terminal at CTS doesn't have a NH lounge, so BR is using a contract lounge and require a lounge invite to get in) And even if you do it reverse, go to the lounge first, they will still take your voucher right away, as whenever there is a contract lounge, they only want your voucher but nothing else, and it is valid for one entry, you can't go out and come back.

I was shocked at this matter because I'm United 1K, and was travelling with lifetime 1K flyers (also holders of Star Alliance Gold Cards). We have never been denied lounge access before. Also we asked 2 times about the access and the use of the voucher.
You sound a little DYKWIA.

UA 1K or travelling with lifetime 1K flyers is absolutely IRRELEVANT ! As you are flying BR but not UA (even you are using UA miles is also irrelevant as well), your 1K status only valid on flying UA metal, nowhere else ! When you are flying any *A partners, you will be know as UA*G that's all, they won't know if you are UA 1K and don't even know what 1K is !

New Chitose Airport sent an EVA Ground Staff who was extremely rude and started yelling at us and told us we did not understand their terms.

Where could I go to submit a complaint with Star Alliance regarding this issue?
Complaint of what ? Miscommunication ? Since you are flying BR then you complain to BR, but I am telling you, all they will do is send you an apology letter, and perhaps a pen as compensation, nothing more.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jul 23, 2014 at 3:22 pm
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:13 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC

Same thing in SGN. It's either noodles, OR massage, OR lounge. You can't do all. Complain to EVA if you must.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
You really didn't miss anything, the lounge at CTS is small and nothing special.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:37 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
This definitely sounds like an issue you would need to take up with BR, as they're the one who are providing you access. The CTS lounge is operated by the airport, and it's adequate if boring.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 4:16 am

Programs: United 1K/MM, Marco Polo Gold, Hyatt-Diamond HH-Gold, Accor - Plat, Mariott-Gold, SPG, PCSilver,
UA has nothing to do with the issue you encounter as other posters in here indicated. You can write to BR but I don't think it is a substantiated case. ORDnHK is right, 1K is only recognized by UA solely. I m a 1K and took BR business from CTS to TPE twice, the rule is either lounge or 1500Yen spent in the foodcourt right outside the lounge.

I must admit the check-in staff of BR (seems to be are Taiwan Nationals) at CTS has weird practice/work attitude.
I lived in Canada, I redeemed tkt BKK/CTS (on TG) /TPE/HKG another trip - HKG/TPE/ CTS/TPE/HKG
both trips the check-in female staff asked where do I live , how long I stayed in HKG, and ask me where s my ticket back to Canada. I told her I ll be in HKG 2 weeks and Cdn ppt no visa needed , my ticket to Canada is not her business. She insisted she needed to see it. I just ignored her then after she consulted the male supervisor I finished checked in and left.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.