Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Need advice on where to deposit upcoming Points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need advice on where to deposit upcoming Points

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2014, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Smile Need advice on where to deposit upcoming Points

Hi,
I live in Mumbai, India and am visiting USA along with my wife in August.

The entire trip (& all internal travel) is booked on one PNR issued by Lufthana and consists of United Airlines & Lufthansa flights.

TRIP:
Some details about my trip firstly. There are total 6 flights on my PNR and includes total distance of 29,925 miles. The itineary has the following msg: MileagePlus Members: Upon completion of this itinerary, you will earn up to 20,141 award miles.
Miles Class Airline
4085 W Lufthansa
7955 W United
2065 W United
337 S United
5699 S Lufthansa
9784 S Lufthansa
29925 TOTAL

FF Program Options
a) Turkish Airlines: I am connected to Star Alliance via Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles program. However, I am on their bottom level of their program but I have 16,656 points. The Turkish website says I need 25000 to go up a tier.

b) Jet Airways: I also have the option to add these points to my Jet Airways JetPrivilage Program as both UA and Lufthana have a points share with Jet albeit at a reduced rate. I have 6,593 points. This link has some details on going up a tier.

c) Air India: Having Air India entering the Star Alliance means now I can also add the points to Air India program in which I have 2,372 points.

I had leveraged the idea that Jet Airways will join Star Alliance and had a credit card etc all signed up but Air India went there instead.
Now being in India, a lot of my domestic traveling is via Jet and Air India hence partial to them.

The Question
Which FF Program number do I give to Lufthansa/UA?
Allowing me to go up from the base tier at Star Alliance, will be extremely benefical. Hence, instead of using the points/miles, I rather collect them to increase the tiers.

If anyone has any idea or guidance on which FF program would make most sense to deposit the points?

Also, thank you in advance. If you require any additional info, do let me know.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 10:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, darshanp!

Have you checked out the sticky at the top of this forum?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...post-here.html
Old Jul 13, 2014, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Hey mahasamatman, Thanks for the link. I am also trying to understand the other stickied posts such as http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...nce-links.html

In case my question was not framed as per requirements, and I need to give it in that format, here goes:

(1) What is your home airport? MUMBAI, India

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.) Low Ones. Economy class primarily.

(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k) <25K

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Premier, M&M Senator etc) Nope.

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Upgrades on Travel would be the most preferred but any perks is good enough.

(6) Which routes do you fly most often India Domestic, with one or two International trips a year.

(7) Preferred Airlines: Personally like Singapore but not biased to any.

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Pleasure. Holiday and vacations are primarily. Some domestic travel within India for work is still possible.

Hope this helps. Thanks.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by darshanp
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.) Low Ones. Economy class primarily.

(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k) <25K

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Upgrades on Travel would be the most preferred but any perks is good enough.
From these answer, pick the FFP of the airline you fly the most. With such low mileage you won't easily get status anywhere, let alone upgrades. Just bank them to the program that pays the most miles for your travel class. Then every couple of years redeem your miles for a nice trip in premium cabin.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks malmostoso. Yea, I agree my travel is low.
I'll stick to putting them in the Indian carriers as I can leverage lots of Credit Card benefits etc as points also.

Thanks so much for your help.

Last edited by darshanp; Jul 13, 2014 at 11:40 pm Reason: Pressed enter by mistake.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.