Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

NYC -> BKK booked, but any better options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2014, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Question NYC -> BKK booked, but any better options?

Hi there flyerfolk. I've been lurking in these forums for many years gathering all sorts of useful info from you all, so thanks for that!

This is my first attempt at booking a great award flight, so I'm nervous I might be missing something!

I'm looking to head to Thailand (and SEA in general) in the next 2-4 weeks from NYC. I found a BusinessFirst Saver award flight from JFK -> BKK via Frankfurt for 80K miles one way which I think is pretty solid, but I'm wondering if I can bulk it up anyhow - maybe add a layover or another stop (ideally I'd like to spend more time in Chiang Mai than Bangkok). I searched for old posts mentioning this route but haven't found anything.

I'd love any expertise you can lend! (and hopefully I put this in the right place!)

Thanks!

Edit: I'm in the 24 hour cancellation window, so I have some time to play around.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
What FFP are you redeeming from?
Which airlines and travel classes (by segment) are you currently booked on?

SunLover
Old Jul 9, 2014, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SunLover
What FFP are you redeeming from?

Which airlines and travel classes (by segment) are you currently booked on?

SunLover
Sorry - that probably would have been helpful up front! Booked via United MileagePlus. Flights are:

NYC -> FRA LH405 (LUFTHANSA)
FRA -> BKK TG921(THAI AIRWAYS)

Both Business (I)

Last edited by jennthegeek; Jul 9, 2014 at 3:22 pm
Old Jul 9, 2014, 4:08 pm

I'd seriously consider adding CNX as destination, with BKK as a 23-hr stopover. TG domestic availability is generally excellent.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 4:14 pm

Also remember that under the new rules, your 80k for one-way US-SEA is valid for J on partners or F on UA and J on partners, so you could fly EWR-FRA or IAD-FRA on UA in F, then connect in J on TG to BKK and CNX for the same mileage.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Good point about booking into O on UA then connecting onward in I.
It is not always easy to find saver level award space these days though.,
In December I have IAD-FRA UA F - FRA-BKK TG F - BKK-CNX TG I/ open jaw/ BKK - HND TG F / NRT - IAD NH F.
140,000 miles + $150 in taxes and call in fees.
Flying on to CNX will save you some time and distance on the ground, you can see and do things in Bangkok on the way out of the country.
Have you looked for NH from JFK-NRT-BKK-TG-CNX ?

Last edited by Paiteaw; Jul 9, 2014 at 8:43 pm
Old Jul 9, 2014, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Paiteaw
Flying on to CNX will save you some time and distance on the ground, you can see and do things in Bangkok on the way out of the country.
Will definitely look into adding CNX into the mix. Was originally planning to do ground transit, but if I can get it baked in, that'd be even better! thanks!

NH was the other option to the via-Europe route, but it got me into BKK @ around 10PM. I prefer arrivals while the sun is still up, so I decided to go the Europe route. If I'm flying through to CNX though, that might change things so I'll have a look into that one!
Old Jul 9, 2014, 6:10 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jennthegeek
Will definitely look into adding CNX into the mix. Was originally planning to do ground transit, but if I can get it baked in, that'd be even better! thanks!

NH was the other option to the via-Europe route, but it got me into BKK @ around 10PM. I prefer arrivals while the sun is still up, so I decided to go the Europe route. If I'm flying through to CNX though, that might change things so I'll have a look into that one!
Which equipment on the LH flight? If it's not the 748i then I recommend just flying NH Business instead, especially if you can connect onto TG's new A380.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 6:12 pm

I guess your December trip was booked before the latest devaluation. Looks like a nice trip.
If you route via NRT, NH runs regional J on NRT-BKK, but TG flies the A380 daily with the Solstys staggered flat business class seat, and timed well to connect with NH from IAD, though not sure about JFK. In the fall, TG will start flying the 788 to NRT with the same J seat.
Originally Posted by Paiteaw
Good point about booking into O on UA then connecting onward in I.
It is not always easy to find saver level award space theses days though.,
In December I have IAD-FRA UA F - FRA-BKK TG F - BKK-CNX TG I/ open jaw/ BKK - HND TG F / NRT - IAD NH F.
140,000 miles + $150 in taxes and call in fees.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Which equipment on the LH flight? If it's not the 748i then I recommend just flying NH Business instead, especially if you can connect onto TG's new A380.
Looks like it's the LH 748 connecting to the TG 380. If those aircraft hold, it's an excellent booking. The TG 380 in particular is really really nice in J.

Note that stopovers (more than 24 hours) are not allowed on a one-way ticket, so there's really not much more you can do with this itinerary if your destination is BKK. If you want to travel onwards after BKK, you can purchase a ticket from BKK-CNX (or anywhere else in Thailand) for cheap.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Looks like it's the LH 748 connecting to the TG 380. If those aircraft hold, it's an excellent booking. The TG 380 in particular is really really nice in J.

Note that stopovers (more than 24 hours) are not allowed on a one-way ticket, so there's really not much more you can do with this itinerary if your destination is BKK. If you want to travel onwards after BKK, you can purchase a ticket from BKK-CNX (or anywhere else in Thailand) for cheap.
If it's 748i to 380 then it really is a good booking. ^
Old Jul 9, 2014, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

The plan is to go to Chiang Mai soon after Bangkok (maybe stay a night there? not too interested in BKK to be honest).

As for equipment: the LH is 747-8 Intercontinental and the TG is A380-800

Been wanting to take the A380. Took the Dreamliner from NRT -> NYC in business class last summer and it was amazinggggggg, so looking forward to comparing it! (Also taking the A380 in economy for a flight to JNB in November. Hoping I'm not too spoiled by this leg!)

So the moral of this story is that I might have actually done a pretty good job with my booking? Awesome! Thanks everyone! Looking forward to more of these in the future!
Old Jul 9, 2014, 9:31 pm

The plan is to go to Chiang Mai soon after Bangkok (maybe stay a night there? not too interested in BKK to be honest).

As for equipment: the LH is 747-8 Intercontinental and the TG is A380-800

Been wanting to take the A380. Took the Dreamliner from NRT -> NYC in business class last summer and it was amazinggggggg, so looking forward to comparing it! (Also taking the A380 in economy for a flight to JNB in November. Hoping I'm not too spoiled by this leg!)

So the moral of this story is that I might have actually done a pretty good job with my booking? Awesome! Thanks everyone! Looking forward to more of these in the future!
I like BKK since you can get some good value when it comes to hotels. If you haven't been to BKK before then one night doesn't hurt. Just make sure your connecting flight to CNX is within 24 hours of arrival into BKK.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 12:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Be sure to get your TG record locator (you can e-mail Thai's LA ticket office, [email protected]), then go on their website and pick one of the single window seats. You should be able to pick your LH seat on the Thai website as well. If you wish, you can also order your TG meal in advance on their website.

That 6:25 a.m. arrival in BKK is going to make a <24 hour stopover at BKK a challenge. I would either connect directly to CNX or stay overnight in BKK and just buy a separate ticket to CNX (should be $100 or less) the next day. IMO it's not worth going into Bangkok from the airport unless you're going to overnight there.

Also taking the A380 in economy for a flight to JNB in November. Hoping I'm not too spoiled by this leg!
You'll be spoiled for life.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
Be sure to get your TG record locator (you can e-mail Thai's LA ticket office, [email protected]), then go on their website and pick one of the single window seats. You should be able to pick your LH seat on the Thai website as well. If you wish, you can also order your TG meal in advance on their website.
Ooo great tip - thanks! I was worried about the meal options (one of those pesky vegetarians!) and getting my window seat! I just emailed them to get my record locator. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.