Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

NRT<>LAX: EVA vs. ANA vs. Asiana vs. UA ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NRT<>LAX: EVA vs. ANA vs. Asiana vs. UA ?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2014, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, and no status whatsoever on the airlines (!)
Question NRT<>LAX: EVA vs. ANA vs. Asiana vs. UA ?

Hi there,

I'm grateful that I finally have enough points to send my parents on their first-ever trip in a premium airline cabin . I'm treating them to Singapore Suite Class LAX-NRT, and now need to decide on what to book for them NRT-LAX with my UA miles.

I'd love your input / suggested ranking on the following:
  • Eva business class (777-300ER)
  • ANA business class (777-300ER)
  • Asiana business class (A321 to Seoul, then A380 to LAX)
  • United business class (Dreamliner)
  • United first class (747-400, not Dreamliner)

I haven't flown any of these (I've typically flown economy myself), so your comparative impressions would be really helpful here.

Thanks much in advance for your help!
Old Jul 7, 2014, 8:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
I would take Eva

For convenience you might want to take the dreamliner since it's a direct flight.

They might get a better experience on the 787 if they haven't flown on this aircraft yet.

I wouldn't look into the rest other than UA , ANA(direct flight) or EVA connecting in TPE

Last edited by TennisNoob; Jul 7, 2014 at 10:45 pm
Old Jul 7, 2014, 8:44 pm

Programs: SQ
I don't think any of these products are better than NH and that's the non-stop route.

Seems like a pretty simple choice to me. I wouldn't connect in Taiwan or Seoul for basically the same seat.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 8:20 am

I would consider that your parents might not care 100% between the flights as long as they're in first or business. Therefore, as suggested above, I'd pick the flight that has the best schedule (and all things being equal, the fewest points).
Old Jul 8, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
This topic will probably get more replies here I'm the TravelBuzz forum. Responding FlyerTalkers will please note that this thread originated at the flame-free Information Desk, and reply accordingly.

Thanks all!

Old Jul 8, 2014, 12:51 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

ANA J is tough to beat of those choices. But you may want to prepare them mentally for a serious downgrade from SIN Suites, regardless of the final choice.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 7:17 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As all carriers being considered are in the Star Alliance, I'll move this to the dedicated forum on that Alliance, for more discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 7:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
1. NH
2. OZ
3. BR

99. UA

I'd put NH and OZ pretty close, with NH getting the nod based on convenience. But ICN is a very easy transfer and the OZ service is really amazing. The BR connection involves serious backtracking.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I'd give UA some thought only because it'll cost significantly fewer points if using UA miles. If your parents aren't used to flying international that much then they may not even notice the drastically reduced service quality.

Aside from that, any of the NRT departures on NH will be quite good, I agree with the others that I wouldn't connect in ICN or TPE for anything different. Avoid the NH flight ex-HND though (the UA seats are MUCH better than the NH 772 used from HND).
Old Jul 11, 2014, 2:18 am

Programs: BW Diamond, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, M&C Gold
1. ANA direct
2. EVA Hello Kitty
3. Asiana (provided the A380 is ready by the time your parents are flying )

Service wise ANA is great.

But if your parents are fans of Hello Kitty, you can put them on 2 Hello Kitty flights and get them to order the Din Tai Fung food on the TPE-LAX leg.

But if you think they will have problem with doing the connection, take ANA.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 4:38 am

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Eva beats the rests hands down! The business class seats are better than UA international first class seats!
Old Jul 11, 2014, 9:42 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
I would take Eva
Originally Posted by GordonGordon
Eva beats the rests hands down!
You guys need to look at a map.

Routing through TPE adds 6.5 hours of flight time to this itinerary, that's not counting the connection.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, and no status whatsoever on the airlines (!)
Hey everyone, thank you very much for the thoughtful and kind responses, and apologies that I haven't replied until now! And aBroadAbroad, thanks for amplifying the reach of my post . And Ocn Vw 1K... ah, you're right; since I'm using UA miles for this, I hadn't even made the connection in my head that all these are *A... nor did I even know we had a *A forum here!

A few notes in response to everyone's helpful feedback:
  • My parents have pretty much just flown in economy, and mostly UA at that. So -- as crazy (and, I admit, un-environmental) as it sounds -- I believe they'd actually enjoy more time flying in the sky when it includes tasty food and friendly service.
  • Yes, none of the proposed flights can compare to SQ Suites... but the flights to/from NRT are my treat, and so given this + the improvement over flying Y, I think my parents will be very happy .
  • With this said -- it may be that, at the end of a packed vacation -- my parents just want to get back home sooner. So I think I'll ask them their preference on this!
  • Oooo... planetshakers, there's Din Tai Fung food on the EVA flights? Man, I may have to fly those silly Hello Kitty planes myself sometime!
  • I wish a stopover was possible on one-way UA redemptions! 'cause then I'd have my parents stop over in Taipei, a city I really enjoyed visiting!

Of course, a bit of a wrinkle is that I've learned my parents (who want to book a small-group tour for their Japan visit)... may actually be flying out of KIX, which changes the options somewhat (for one, no direct flights to LAX). Still, I think there's mostly the same choice of *A partner airlines KIX-LAX.

Thanks again for all the rankings and feedback! I welcome any additional thoughts, and I'll also make sure to post back here with what I decide and again with how the trip goes with my parents. As you can imagine, both they (and I!) are super-excited to have them experiencing Japan and premium travel for the first time in their lives :-).

Last edited by ThatAdamGuy; Jul 11, 2014 at 10:00 pm Reason: formatting issues
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by ThatAdamGuy
Of course, a bit of a wrinkle is that I've learned my parents (who want to book a small-group tour for their Japan visit)... may actually be flying out of KIX, which changes the options somewhat (for one, no direct flights to LAX). Still, I think there's mostly the same choice of *A partner airlines KIX-LAX.
This is a major change. There are no nonstops KIX-LAX. The reasonable *A options are:

1. UA KIX-SFO-LAX
2. NH KIX-HND-LAX
3. OZ KIX-ICN-LAX

I would vote strongly for number three, flying OZ 202 on the new 380 (but only after 8/26). NH option should be eliminated immediately b/c the HND-LAX flight is NH's 772 with angled-lie flat.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
If they fly from KIX via ICN on OZ in the A380 they may enjoy the onboard bar for J/F pax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.